RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2024, 09:31:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Thinking of Buying a Gaming Laptop 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Thinking of Buying a Gaming Laptop  (Read 6360 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »

My PC died about a year ago, and I have been using my Wife's computer for general computer purpose needs.

I have been thinking lately though, that maybe it is time to get a new PC. And if I am going to get a new PC, I might as well design it for gaming and streaming.

I am a console gamer always have been and probably always will, but there are some games that I miss out on without having a PC. I would love to have PC where I can tap into more choices for my gaming desires. Plus there are some games that just play better on PC.

I am looking at only Laptops for now. I don't have space left in my house for a desktop and desk. I also like the transportability of laptops. Even though gaming laptops can be quite heavy, it is easy to transport a tower around.

My last PC, I tried to make it for PC games, but it crashed all the time, and never ran things all that great. I am not very knowledgeable about building or choosing PC stuff for gaming. I think I failed in choosing the right things so it would run these games.

I am now looking for you all to help me out. Send me your suggestions, Send me links for Laptops you use or know are good for gaming. Give me your knowledge, because I have barely any.

Here is what my requirements are:
- I of course would want it to run current PC games, as well as take me into the future, a little bit. (Not
  Talking Time Travel here)

- I would like to possible stream me playing games on Twitch, so the computer would need to be able to
   handle that kind of thing.

- Ability to hook the laptop up to a HDTV ( not sure if this is possible )

- Upgradeable and Easy to do So.

- Price Tag: Willing to pay up to or around $1500

- Trusting Brand

Thanks for any help you can offer

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:41:36 PM »

At the moment I am tired and not sure if I should be trusted with typing   Tongue    but....

If space is your primary concern I would suggest reconsidering a desktop. You can get rather small ones nowadays and you will always get way more bang-for-the-buck than a laptop. Some cases even come with a handle if you want to easily carry your desktop from place to place. We have our monitors mounted to the wall which saves desk space as well as lets you put the screen exactly where you want it.

Google image search: "micro atx case" and "micro atx case with handle"   Micro ATX is a style of motherboard that allows for small desktops. There is also mini ITX which is seriously tiny but more expensive.

If you are set on a laptop though:

For gaming, you want one with a dedicated graphics card/gpu. I would start (and finish  Wink) with this list:

(less to more power, and less to more price)
GeForce GTX 860M
GeForce GTX 870M
GeForce GTX 880M

(9xxM series is newest and most powerful)
GeForce GTX 970M
GeForce GTX 980M

As long as the laptop has a HDMI port you'll be able to hook it up to a TV. This is a super common thing on laptops.

I would really try and get a laptop with a SSD (solid state drive) If you need more storage space you could look for a laptop that would allow you to add a second drive but SSD is really the way to go nowadays.

$1500 is enough to get you a 'gaming' laptop but that is kinda the beginning range for the 'gaming' ones.
$3000 for example ---->  http://www.pcper.com/revi...eview-Baddest-Gets-Better

ASUS, MSI, Lenovo, Alienware(Dell), Acer....are where I would start if I were looking for one brand wise. Sites like http://www.doghousesystems.com/   .....uh.....and some others that aren't coming to mind, did I mention being tired?, would be places to go if you are feeling frisky. Amazon and Newegg are where I would go.

17" laptops are huge. 15" is more manageable but remember, you can always add a regular monitor or play on your TV so getting a small screen isn't so bad. Our laptop is only, like, 12" and I wouldn't want anything bigger.

If you shop on someplace like Amazon, find the ones that look good to you and then check the manufacturers website to make sure what you are looking at is a current model. You wouldn't want to end up with something that was a year old already.

My key points are: Use that list of GPUs, the list of manufacturers, find one with a SSD (or plan on adding one), Windows 8.1, 8 gigs of ram or more. You'll be set.

Are you sure you don't want a desktop?
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:05:46 PM »

Now, I am not sure, I did not know there were small desktops but I guess it makes sense. How about some tips about building one. I am component with tech stuff like that. I just don't know what to buy and how do get a bigger bang for the buck. Any tips you can offer me on what to buy, like actually brands and models to get, where to buy it, and what not to do.

I guess this thread just turned into giving me tips on building a computer, although if someone has any ideas about laptops, I will listen to those.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:09:21 AM »

- Ability to hook the laptop up to a HDTV ( not sure if this is possible )
As nupoile said: if it's got an HDMI port then it should work.

- Upgradeable and Easy to do So.
The most you can normally upgrade on a laptop is the RAM and the battery. Some can have the processor changed, but this usually requires taking most of the laptop apart...
If you want upgradeable, a desktop PC is the way to go.

I would really try and get a laptop with a SSD (solid state drive) If you need more storage space you could look for a laptop that would allow you to add a second drive but SSD is really the way to go nowadays.
SSDs are good for load speeds, but they cost more for less drive space.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »

As the former owner of a "gaming" laptop I would strongly ask you to reconsider.  Contrary to what seems logical, many higher end gaming CAD/rendering laptops are very upgradable as far as video cards are concerned (although you will be locked in as far as manufacturer and model family).  The real problem is heat disappation.  Often the cards in these things generate far more heat than they can get rid of, resulting in damage to the VC and premature aging/damage to the other internal parts.  I have gone through two video cards with my Precision M6400 and several HDDs (some of them solid.state).  No more.  Now I game light on my laptops and save the other stuff for my main rig (which I have to say, isn't much bigger than the motherboard it contains).

The decision is your own, my friend, but there is wisdom in nupoile's words.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »

Now, I am not sure, I did not know there were small desktops but I guess it makes sense. How about some tips about building one. I am component with tech stuff like that. I just don't know what to buy and how do get a bigger bang for the buck. Any tips you can offer me on what to buy, like actually brands and models to get, where to buy it, and what not to do.

I guess this thread just turned into giving me tips on building a computer, although if someone has any ideas about laptops, I will listen to those.

Yeah!  Anyways, first I would like to point you to shoboni's thread on his desktop.  He used PC Part Picker which is a massive help, but can be overwhelming if you aren't ready for it.  If you plan on building a machine, you will need several parts.  If you go to PC Part Picker and click on the yellow "Get Started" button at the top it lists all of them.  Pick and choose, then do research.  If you would rather buy already built, Dell and HP are your friends.  Cyberpower is also a thing (I think nupoile might have bought one of those).  As far the others, I believe in the rule of "A" and "S," which means don't purchase a computer from a manufacturer whose name begins with an "A" or a "S."  Parts are fine.  ASUS normally has really good quality, but their warranties are sneaky, sometimes lasting as little as a year, and you will have to call them to actually check how long it is valid for.  Not worth the trouble, IMHO.

Also, if you want to compare generalized scores for your CPU and GPU, I recommend using Passmark's sites.  They do have a massive amount of info, but all you will need is the High-End CPU and High-End GPU pages.

Now for the fun bits.  For cost reasons, I would recommend getting an AMD CPU and mobo.  Intels are more powerful (pound-for-pound), but AMD is so cost effective compared that it is hard to resist.    For example, the CPU in my rig is an Intel Core i7-3770, which retails for about $285.  Compare to the AMD FX-8370, which is only slightly weaker (and I do mean slightly) than the i7-3770,  but is also $110 less!  For GPUs you want raw power and great drivers.  AMD has more power but their drivers are patchy.  NVIDIA has power and great drivers. For a basic breakdown:

1) 500-600w power supply with a Silver rating (you don't need more unless you plan on getting a $800 GPU).
2) 1-2 hard drives (optimal is 2, with a smaller solid state for the OS and a larger mechanical one for your games and other programs)
3) 8-16GB of RAM (more than 8GB and you see diminishing returns for gaming, but it is more future-proofing than anything)
4) Pay attention to the GPU requirements, especially the physical size, which can seriously sneak up on you
5) Effective cooling solution.  I cannot stress this enough.  This guide is your friend
6) A compatible OS (I will leave it at that)
7) The understanding that computers are like cars: The more money you put in, the faster it goes.

I guess at some point we should just make a thread about building computers.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:35:15 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »

The more money you put in, the faster it goes.
There are exceptions to that though... e.g: RAM over certain speeds won't make a noticeable difference.

Heh, maybe...
I have an i5-4690k and ASUS Z97-C heading my way.
A Corsair SPEC-03 and a 2x4GB 2133MHz G.Skill RAM kit (which I will run at 1600MHz. It was cheaper than 1600MHz versions shrug) arrived already.
I have an Antec HCG-520 PSU, Seagate 750GB HDD and Win7 Ultimate ready, but I'm waiting to see how the NVidia GeForce GTX960 will compare to other cards before I make my GPU choice.

I used PC Part Picker for rough costs and specs, then checked around for the full specs.
Funny thing is, the MoBo, CPU and RAM cost LESS than this bundle I was looking at early on and is much BETTER! Shocked nod
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »

Quote from: mumboking
Quote from: nupoile
I would really try and get a laptop with a SSD....
SSDs are good for load speeds, but they cost more for less drive space.
Yeah, there is a trade off for sure. In laptops they also use less battery power, so there is that. They are so fast though......

Quote from: bomba
Cyberpower is also a thing (I think nupoile might have bought one of those).
Haha, I spent a while trying to figure out why you were thinking this. At first I figured you were remembering someone else but then realized you were thinking of me but for the wrong thing. I've bought two CyberPower Systems Inc. UPSs (uninterruptible power supplies), you were thinking of the similarly named CyberPowerPC http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

They do actually look like PC towers, so your memory is in fact incredible:

[img width=640 height=707]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5585/15229031382_29756bd086_o.jpg[/img]

Quote from: bomba

We should do this! RFG needs more threads on PCs.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »

Please do. This would be immensely helpful for anyone curious about the computer gaming space. I'm sure I'm not the only one with loads of questions.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »

Please do. This would be immensely helpful for anyone curious about the computer gaming space. I'm sure I'm not the only one with loads of questions.

Started one!

http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=14844.0
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

Awesome, looks like we've started something here. Thanks for the suggestions. I know this topic can get kinda of flamey and has a tendency to result in people getting into arguments.

It would be great to just start somewhere.

How about suggestions for the case, I am looking for a smaller size case of course. So please give me suggestions on this.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

Soo many to pick from.  I cheated naturally.  I picked up a case from the scrap pile at work.  Just had to fill out the edges a bit.  I don't have a great GPU, but considering the type of gaming I do it more than fits the bill.  Until Elite: Dangerous comes out.

So, cases.  To not get overly technical, you are either looking at a tower, mid-tower, thin-tower, box, or...  weird.  Personally, I would dictate the size of the case according to your GPU of choice, then filter that list out further according to rating and price.  On PCPartsPicker each page for the respective case has a measurement for the maximum GPU length.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#sort=d5

Looking at this page you will see the highest rated cases are overwhelmingly of the mid-tower ATX variety.  This has as much to do with popularity as anything else.  What is confusing about this is that the form has little to do with the shape of the case or the motherboard.  My advise would be to sift through the list, opening tabs for each click along the way.  Pay attention to motherboard compatibility, maximum length of GPU, and whether or not it has front USB ports and audio jacks.  And the size of the power supply is can take (ITX, ATX, or custom). Most cases will fit a 11.42" GPU, but it pays to be sure.  To get a better feel I have a few links:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p.../corsair-case-cc9011069ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zalman-case-zmz9u3

http://pcpartpicker.com/p.../corsair-case-cc9011029ww

http://pcpartpicker.com/p...nix-case-bfcpro300wwxkwrp

http://pcpartpicker.com/p...rt/nmediapc-case-htpc8000

http://pcpartpicker.com/p...-master-case-sgc5000wkwn1

The last one I included as a reference, as it is a full ATX tower and absolutely gigantic (though smaller than the PC towers of the past).  Keep in mind that the smaller towers and boxes will require custom power supplies, which can get costly, and will restrict you as to the maximum wattage you can have for your PSU.  This can get important down the line, but as long as you stick with modern NVIDIA cards you will be alright (modern high-end AMD cards will require a minimum of 750w). 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:05:51 PM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »

Awesome stuff, that site is pretty awesome, and very helpful. What do you think of the build suggestions they have on the site?

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »

I agree with everyone else that a gaming laptop isn't worth it, they're hideously expensive for not even close to what a similarly priced Desktop would have hardware-wise.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »

Alright I guess I am off looking for parts to build a gaming computer.

@shoboni: Was thinking of building one that is similar or equivalent to the Great Gaming Build or the Enthusiasts gaming build that is on PC part fixer.

My budget is a little bit over a $1000 for everything, so I think I can try and afford one of those.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length