RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 12:37:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Do you read about video game history? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do you read about video game history?  (Read 1635 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:31:30 AM »

I've been researching a lot of video game history recently (especially more obscure stuff), so I was wondering....  do you all research video game history?  I mean, I know many of us here are collectors, so in a way we surround ourselves in video game history, but is it a conscious thing that you are interested in, or just a side-effect of the love for games?  I guess I think there are several types of collectors.  Some collect just to play, but others collect to document.  Some of both probably happens for everyone, and this applies to me....  but I'm guessing you can figure out which side I lean a bit more towards.

Anyone else?

Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 04:13:40 AM »

I do yes, I have a couple of books about videogame history, and I'm always looking around online for stuff.  I always read Retro Gamer cover to cover every month as well, which offers some really excellent insights into certain areas of gaming history.

I also did that essay on the history of Sega for one of my university modules, as some of you might remember.

To be quite honest, my history is probably in better shape than my collecting Tongue
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:15:44 AM by Sureshot » Logged

Me vs Gretzky
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 04:46:24 AM »

I've read a few books on video game history. "The First Quarter" by Steven Kent and "Supercade" by Van Burnham. I also have "Power Up" but I've yet to read that.

I always read the retro stuff in the various game mags too.

Another I've read is "Lucky Wander Boy" which is actually a novel but has loads of video game history intertwined.

Sensei_Fu
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 04:53:04 AM »

I'm pretty much like the others.  I read all I can about VG history in books and such.  I'm by no means a historian tho.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 08:04:54 AM »

I read what i can.
The only book i own though is High Score which touches on alot of stuff but at least to me went more in depth into the classic computer aspect of the gaming industry.

I actually hope to pick up some more vg history books. I am using what you guys say as things to look into getting so thanks for the ideas.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:05:09 AM by IZRET101 » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 08:23:19 AM »

The only book I have and I am almost done with it is Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven Kent. I think it is a really good book.

I would like to get some more history books.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 08:49:35 AM »

There isn't really THAT much history is there?

When shall his new form be revealed?
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:58:57 AM »

I'm the collector that collects to document more than collects to play.  I'm not much of a gamer anymore, especially what old school games are concerned...so I just collect to hit milestones and document rare findings.  This is mostly for Nintendo NES games/accessories/videos/books/etc & Nintendo merchandise from the 1980's and early 1990's that are related to the NES era.  

I've read close to all that is documented on the history of the NES and anything related to it...but this is mostly a side effect of scanning the internet and books for possible things to collect/keep an eye out for & of course to see if anything I have come across has been documented previously.  I don't care much about the overall video game history, so I haven't read any of the more general video game history books out there.  Smiley

-Speedy

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 12:17:05 PM »

I've only been into collecting for a little more than a year now, so I've just recently gotten interested in video game history.  I need to get some books on it, but I haven't really looked that much yet.

- Zac
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 12:33:32 AM »

I do.  I'll think of something that I'm not sure of I'll look it up or I'll just be bored and start reading up on it.

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 05:41:44 AM »

I read what i can.
The only book i own though is Game Over which touches on alot of stuff but at least to me went more in depth into the classic computer aspect of the gaming industry.

High Score focused way too much on early PC RPGs for my taste.

I normally don't read books about the game industy's history, although I do find it interesting.  I enjoy reading old magazines though, especially Nintendo Power (because it was once a good magazine and was devoid of advertisements).

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 10:06:51 AM »

LOL i just realized i gave the name of a different book.
I don't remember if i read Game Over... or what the full title was.

I still haven't read those Nintendo Powers you gave me Dan. I think i read them a few years ago though.

spacewar
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 09:35:21 AM »

I've read "The ultimate history of videogames" by Steve Kent.

I'm thinking about getting the books by Leonard Herman and David Sheff (Game Over). Are they any good?
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 10:37:35 AM »

It depends what you're into really.  Game Over is rather abstract in its presentation, taking experiences from various people rather than giving you black and white facts.  If you wanted a book that is more like the latter, I suggest reading something such as 'The Medium of the Video Game' (Mark J. P. Wolf), although be warned, his love for games in the series of Myst and Riven becomes rather grating after a while, as he includes references in what seems like every other paragraph!  The entire book isn't actually written by him however, so you do get some respite, and overall it is a very good read if you want to know the REAL ins and outs of the industry .

Me vs Gretzky
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »

Oh and welcome! Please introduce yourself on the topic at the top of the page Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 10:39:10 AM by Sureshot » Logged

Me vs Gretzky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length