RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 02:36:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Feat. Game 04.24.2005 - Chrono Trigger 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Feat. Game 04.24.2005 - Chrono Trigger  (Read 2133 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: April 25, 2005, 11:50:31 AM »

Chrono Trigger

[img width=145 align=right]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-044/bf/U-044-S-01090-A.jpg[/img]Week: 2005.04.24 - 2005.04.30
Game: Chrono Trigger
Console: SNES
Year: 1995
RFG ID #: U-044-S-01090-A
Part #: SNS-ACTE-USA
Publisher: Square
Developer: Dream Project
Genre: RPG
Sub-Genre: 2D Third-Person RPG
Players: 1 Player

Game page address: http://www.rfgeneration.c...l?ID=U-044-S-01090-A&
Screenshots: http://www.rfgeneration.c...hot.pl?ID=U-044-S-01090-A

I'm a few weeks late on this, but the new featured game is certainly a good one, and for the first time ever, I know agree, even before posting about it.  With the recent addition of our Top 100 Games Page[/lurl], it is now at least somewhat evident that some of you like this game...  a lot.  Chrono Trigger is sitting high and mighty at #1 out of over 17,000 games currently in our database, with a perfect score of 100%.  That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

Is it really the best game of all time?  If so, can there ever be another Chrono series game that could live up to the SNES classic?  Did anyone actually play Chrono Cross all the way through?

What are your thoughts on Chrono Trigger and its influence on gaming then (1995) and now?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 11:53:24 AM by admin » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:24:06 PM »

Chrono Trigger was an amazing RPG.

I think it was easily one of the best in its genre and deserves to be high and mighty on that list.

As for its influence then and today... Back when it came out i don't remember hearing about it outside of my dad getting it used from a local shop.

Today it has a huge cult following many people are hoping and think a sequel is coming on the horizon.
It has been rumored and certain things make you think that Square is atleast contemplating it, like the cease and desist warrent sent to a group of people who were working on a sequal and had a website up about it.

As for Chrono Cross i never played it but i know the whole story line. That is a game i don't think i missed much on by just getting the story and not playing thru.

CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:35:29 PM »

I've never personally played Chrono Trigger, but I've got buddies who worship it.  From what I've heard, I really need to play it.

- Zac
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »

I still have not managed to aquire a copy of this game yet. I'll stumble upon it one day though.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 01:14:01 PM »

I can honestly say that I've played through Chrono Trigger 3 times completely. Add to that the countless times that I gave up before finally beating the game and the random playtimes in there, and one could say that Chrono Trigger has taken a large part of my life away. It's that good of a game. There are RPGs, and then there is Chrono Trigger. It is by far the best RPG ever created, and it deserves all the praise it gets. Coupled with other SNES greats such as Metroid 3, Super Mario World, Zelda 3, and even Uniracers, it makes the system the best system to date.

Hello World.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:01 PM »

I have never played this game.  :-/

I did pick it up around a month ago so maybe one day i will play it.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 02:46:17 PM »

Chrono Trigger is definitely one of the best RPGs, if not the best.  I played it right when it came out in the States and beat it together with my brothers, who later played through it once more thanks to its replay value.  I also have friends who played through it more than once..this game definitely had some lasting appeal...which is not common for RPGs.  It had multiple paths you could take in the game, and 3 different endings from what I remember.  The time travel idea was awesome, changing things in the past to affect the future, etc...and the graphics/spells were great as well.  I also played Chrono Cross a few years ago, but didn't get anywhere near the satisfaction that I had from Chrono Trigger.  I guess one of the reasons for this was because of the many other RPGs that came out on the SNES...Breath of Fire I & II, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Robotek, etc.  After that era, console RPGs just weren't the same anymore...at least for me.

-Speedy

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 02:56:48 PM »

Superb RPG, perhaps the best there has been next to the likes of Zelda 64.

I still kick myself for not persevering and finishing it though, I am gonna have to do that one of these days.

Me vs Gretzky
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:37:07 AM »

I've not finished it either, but it is on my to-do list.  What I have played of it was excellent, but I don't think I'll ever like it as much as I like The Legend of Zelda.  There's a serious nostalgia factor I have with Zelda that isn't there for me with Chrono Trigger, because I didn't have an SNES at the time.

I agree completely with what Speedy said about console RPG's of that era.  Many of them were just so fresh and good that current RPG's seem to pale in comparisson.  I guess it's because the genre was still relatively new (as a mainstream genre - I know games like Quest for the Rings came out way earlier).  The only RPG since that I've really gotten into like games of the NES/SNES years was Ocarina of Time.

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 05:17:12 AM »

Chrono Trigger is arguably the best RPG of all time.  The music is absolutely beautiful, the graphics are amazing, the plot is immersive and inspiring.  I have no complaints about this game (which is a rare thing for me) although I do think that the series as a whole has been brought down by Chrono Cross.

[hidden style=1 title=Spoiler] At the end of Chrono Trigger for PSX, it reveals that the kingdom of Guardia falls five years after Chrono Trigger occurs, which is very dissapointing considering that all of the main characters completely disappear except for some short appearances in Chrono Cross that have no real importance.[/hidden]

I could rant about how bad of a sequel Chrono Cross was and that it didn't do Chrono Trigger justice, but that isn't the point of this thread.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 05:49:34 AM by danvx6 » Logged

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »

Along with Final Fantasy 3, this game got the majority of my SNES' attention.  I can't remember how many endings there were in all, but I managed to get 8 of them (even the secret ending).  Everything about this game is as close to perfect as you can get.

I actually liked Chrono Cross.  In fact I dare say that is one of my favorite Playstation games.  One of my friends and I used to hook up three TV's to play this game on Saturday mornings; one for him to play on, one for me to play on, and one to play MST3K.
danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 05:49:34 AM »

I'm pretty sure there were 10 official endings and variations of those endings in the original SNES game.  Some were supposedly removed for the PSX re-release.

Useless trivia:
Robo's Serial number is R66-Y
Gato's name in the Japanese version is Gonzales.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 06:11:59 AM by danvx6 » Logged

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 11:37:03 AM »

Duely noted Dan.

Wasn't there another prequel/sequal to this. I don;t remember the name but it was not in the USA. I think it was Japan only and for that satalite download thing.
Mike and Dan know what i am talking about if i am not totally confused.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 03:11:16 PM »

Yeah, there was.  I can't remember the title right now though.  I'm glad you brought that up though, because I forgot to include it in the overview.

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 06:05:53 PM »

Duely noted Dan.

Wasn't there another prequel/sequal to this. I don;t remember the name but it was not in the USA. I think it was Japan only and for that satalite download thing.
Mike and Dan know what i am talking about if i am not totally confused.

Radical Dreamers

It was a text adventure released only in Japan for the Satelleview, a strange accessory for the SNES which according to my sources let you download games
from some type of satellite system.  Two other Chrono Trigger Satelleview games were developed: A special version of the jet bike race with high scores and a soundtrack.  The Radical Dreamers plot no longer fits in with Chrono Trigger because Chrono Cross is based on Radical Dreamers (the Viper Manor from Cross is basically the entire Radical Dreamers game in graphical form) and the game was only available in Japan, thus making the Radical Dreamers storyline obsolete.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 06:07:56 PM by danvx6 » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length