RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:16:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Adding more detailed information about games. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adding more detailed information about games.  (Read 898 times)
supernorst
N-Gage

Stats
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »

Hey, I was wondering if we could add a few more details about all the games we list on the site. I understand it would be a quite an undertaking but I will present my argument on why it may be useful.

#1 Timeframe of production.

We list the year that each game came out, but why not also list how long the production run lasted. For example, we know that Battletoads in Battlemaniacs came out in 1993 on the SNES. It would be nice to know how long Tradewest kept the game in production. Also would be nice to clarify the exact date the game came out if available. This would be interesting knowledge to any game historian looking to research the production cycle of games from past to present.

#2 Total # or units produced

How many games/systems were made? If we have data on a certain game or system on how many units were produced and sold, than we should note that in their details. If the game/system is still in production, just state its still in production instead of updating numbers all the time. Many Limited Editions of games and consoles have a specific number of units that were produced. This would be useful in looking at the rarity of a specific game or system.

Thank you for your time and consideration. ~SuperNorst

Gamer of All Generations
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »

that would be cool info to have but i don't think there's any way to know either of those without personally asking each and every developer how long they spent on every game they made. # of units produced is something they don't often tell us exact numbers of either. the site is more about cataloguing information that you can get from just having the physical (or digital) game in hand
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »

We could list exact dates of release, but for the other information, unless it's publicly known, would have to come from internal documentation. For instance, there's a thread here that's continued on to another website about the production information of the Atari Jaguar, and the Limited Edition numbers are not always accurate (see: Genesis First Edition games for Electronic Arts). I can tell you offhand that the GameStop Limited Edition of Resident Evil 4 for GameCube was supposed to be limited to 40,000, but I'm sure it went past that production number based on how many I see for sale.

I'm certainly all for adding extra information, but most of the items you're asking for would likely belong in the Trivia section for the hardware or software, as they're not something that our Staff members are going to actively track down. We have a very small database staff here. Cry

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length