RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2024, 05:20:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Do you play all or most of the games in your collection? 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Do you play all or most of the games in your collection?  (Read 7208 times)
Guru
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

Hey all.

First off I'm new to both the forum and collecting as a whole, but that being said I am already in love with both.
My question to you all is do you play all the games that you add to your collection? I understand that a lot of you out there have hundreds to thousands of games and there's no way to either complete or consistently play them all. But when you pick up a new game you haven't had before, do you always pop it in and give it a little try?

My main collections at the moment are N64, original Xbox, and Xbox 360. I have been steadily building my collection at Gamestop recently with their under $5 bin and I will pick up any game (besides sports or racing) that I either haven't heard of or haven't played. Sometimes I will leave with 10+ games and I don't end up playing them. I do plan on playing some, but others I know I won't play but I just like having it in the collection.

What do you guys do I would love to know Smiley
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »

Welcome to the site!

As I'm sure most others will say I try to play as much as possible. Lately I've been trying to limit my collecting to games I know I will play. If you haven't already check out the latest RFGen podcast as it covers this topic:

http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:39:56 AM »

I buy all or most of my games with the intention of actually playing them someday, but that's pretty much impossible at this point.  I consider myself an equal opportunity gamer, so I like to play almost anything from almost every genre.  Once my game collection hit about 1100-1200 individual physical titles (not including the other 1000 or so I own digitally), I came to the realization that I already own more games than I could ever play in a lifetime, and I'm constantly getting more through various means.  I've recently been 'trimming the fat' from my collection, getting rid of games that I know I'll never play (random sports titles and just generally bad games), or games I've played before that I know I'll never want to play again.

That said, I usually don't just pop a game in for a few minutes and try it out when I first get it.  I may pop it in to test it to make sure it works, but I'm not really playing it to sample the gameplay.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:53:32 AM »

Like Disposed Hero, I try out almost every loose game, when I get them home. That being said, I do have a few sealed games now, some I have no intention of ever playing.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »

I would say about 90% of my collection is unplayed...sadly, there are a lot of great and rare games I have never played. I just don't have the time I used to to play games.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »

After being asked many times by people about what percentage of my collection I have actually played, I decided to spend some time increasing that number.  After finally completing my game room organization, I began running through my SNES drawers - A to Z.  I'm up to D, and I've already considered letting some titles go while realizing how good other titles are.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 01:38:49 PM »

Yep.

Keelah se'lai
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »

All or most?

Nope. Sad

Dangerboy
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »

That may never be possible...

[img width=500 height=120]http://game-rave.com/gamerave_forum_signature.jpg[/img]
http://www.game-rave.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »

That may never be possible...

Hey its because of your videos that I am now on the warpath to getting a copy of Fox Hunt.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Dangerboy
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »

SirPsycho: Worth every penny Cheesy

[img width=500 height=120]http://game-rave.com/gamerave_forum_signature.jpg[/img]
http://www.game-rave.com/
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »

I'm not even close to playing all of my games. I suppose I've played more of my PS2/Genesis games than anything else, but I've probably played less than 15% of the 1800+ games I own. There's a certain point where your collection is just too large to ever have any possibility of playing everything.
TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 12:24:21 AM »

Out of the approximately 750 or so games I currently own, I've really played maybe about 50% of them, but I have tested all of them, something I do with every item I get.  It's hard to find time to play everything, especially when you're raising a nephew, working 6 weeknights a week, and usually busy with doctor's appointments and other important stuff on your day off.  Tongue  Because of all of that, I tend to play quick and easy games in my collection if I find the time, and it's usually games I've already played through at least once, mostly for convenience.  The last game I've recently played that I hadn't before is Red Dead Redemption, and I'm not very far into that at the moment.

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »

50% out of 750 games? that's pretty impressive actually, i think i'm in the <15% group myself with less games than that
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »

Agreed. Out of 2200 games, claiming I have played 10% of them might even be a stretch. You would be doing well above me at half of your collection or even just 300 games. I really hope I can play more of my stuff, and having family over more will hopefully be the start of that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length