RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 10:15:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Gamestop Buys EB 0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gamestop Buys EB  (Read 2302 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: April 18, 2005, 05:23:52 PM »

In a 1.44 Billion Dollar Stock Deal, Gamestop has agreed to buy out its competitor, Electronics Boutique. Shares of both companies are up after the announcement. Leaders of the company say this will help position for the release of the next-gen systems later this year

Source: Reuters

From one standpoint the combined company will be able to better perfrom against the Wal-Mart, but on the other hand we lose yet another specialty retailer to the behemoth that is GameStop. I doubt though that all the EBs will change to Gamestops, as the placement between the two stores are generally extremely close. Hell, near my house there are three gamestops within a mile of each other, 2 of which are right across the street from each other.

Hello World.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:52:20 PM »

Don't forget the EB that is in the same mall as one of those two GameStops.  This is bad news if you ask me.  Why should I care if they can compete better with Wal-Mart?  Consolidating will probably just hurt the consumers, since there will be less competition to drive prices down.  YUCK.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:28:40 PM »

Since I dont really buy new games all that often it doesnt really matter to me.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 01:28:23 AM »

This gamestop guy must have the greatest game collection in the world!
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 04:33:42 AM »

This is gonna fuck me over hard.

I stopped going to Gamestop after they stopped selling older games and I started going to EB.  Simply put, they had what I wanted now and Gamestop didn't.  Now, Gamestop is probably going to institue the same policies that they have and stop selling older games.

I would love to hear NES Junkies take on all of this.  I hope he comes by the site.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »

This sucks... Less places to shop Angry
I wonder how many people will lose jobs over this ?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 07:28:36 AM »

I stopped going to Gamestop after they stopped selling older games and I started going to EB.  Simply put, they had what I wanted now and Gamestop didn't.  Now, Gamestop is probably going to institue the same policies that they have and stop selling older games.

I would love to hear NES Junkies take on all of this.  I hope he comes by the site.

Thats the same reason I stop going to Gamestop. What would be awesome if if Gamestop was the newer stuff and EB became a retro store.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 10:06:03 AM »

Ah, we can only dream...
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 10:35:28 AM »

In the U.K

Game bought out Electronic Boutique a coupla years ago.

The two stores were yards apart in my town, so there was no grand closing down sale in E.B (which I preferred to Game) all the stock was moved across.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 11:25:01 AM »

damn. I prefer EB over Gamestop myself. Most of the Gamestops around here are so small they don't even have a good selection of the newer stuff.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 11:31:25 AM »

damn. I prefer EB over Gamestop myself. Most of the Gamestops around here are so small they don't even have a good selection of the newer stuff.

I agree. And lately, EB has had better trade-in deals, too. Hopefully the EB marketing group will replace the GameSpot group.

The mall I go to has both stores. Now, it will be reduced to 1...eventually.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »

Didn't this happen with FuncoLand and GameStop and some other company too?
They were all under the same owner ship but then got merged into 1 company under the GameStop name?

I don't know if they were all under the same ownber ship but i know they merged or something because i remember when the funcoland across from the mall where GameStop was became a GameStop and still is.
They are located no more than 1 1/2-2 miles from eachother including probably 1/2-3/4 mile of parkinglots.

CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 06:53:11 PM »

Video game stores in my area are far and few between.  Within reasonable driving distance of my house there are two EBs and one Mcvan's (Mcvan's is a local video game store that, despite having high prices, has an unbelievable selection of retro and nextgen stuff.) and that's it.

There are 5 Mcvan's stores in Indiana: 3 in Fort Wayne, 1 in Evansville, and 1 in Fishers (Fishers is the one near my house.).  If you happen to be in the area of one of these, give them a shot.  Like I said before, although most of their prices are fairly high, their selection is the best I've seen in a long time.

Their web site is:
http://www.mcvans.com/

- Zac
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »

Anthony, the other store you are thinking of is Babbages.  GameStop owns them and Funcoland.  Many of the former stores have been converted to GameStops, but not all.  I saw Babbage's stores while in Michigan, and we still have Funcolands here in Cincy.

I would type more about this, but I can't see out of my right eye, and the left one is getting screwy too.  It's freaking me out.  More later.  Out.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 07:31:47 PM »

Thats right!
Babbages changed in the mall about a year or 2 before Funcoland changed across from it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length