RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 05:20:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Recycled Games/Game Ideas - Near Future Crash? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Recycled Games/Game Ideas - Near Future Crash?  (Read 2650 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 01:35:34 PM »

ACTUALLY

The factors of 1984 was that Atari only had 60ish% of the market and 3rd party developers for Atari consoles had the other 40ish%.
The head honcho over at Atari being the shrewd buisness man he was thought if they made enough games to seel to 10% of the market like they had previously done that they would all sell.
Unfortunately (depending on your views) he was wrong. There where 1,000s of extra games just colecting dust on store shelves because people were not going to buy nearly as many titles as were sold nor were they going to buy more than they previously had just because all the extras were there(Until prices plummeted that is).
So everyone had to take losses many of which got knocked out of the industry because of said losses.  The consumer was just not going to deal with a extra 60% of producaed games being thrown on the market that quickly.

I suggest you brush up on your classic gaming reading Smiley... I suggest i do aswell i am not 100% on all of that but that is the basic gist of it. As for my percentages i will give them a +-5% margin.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 08:29:32 AM »

New innovative games for Xbox:

Phantom Dust (only 20 bucks, collect the skills and then kick some ass online)
Jade Empire (Action RPG that combines the best of innovations discovered in Fable and KOTOR)

heard good things about:

Timesplitters: FP (shrink mode, vampire mode, etc. plus online)
Forza Motorsport (played the demo and am becoming more and more impressed with the capabilities)
Conker: Live and Reloaded (played 1Player demo, looking forward to multiplayer)
and
Psychonauts (platformer where you go into the psyche of individuals and get in adventures that lead to resolving "emotional baggage", etc.).

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 08:45:45 AM »

I suggest you brush up on your classic gaming reading Smiley... I suggest i do aswell i am not 100% on all of that but that is the basic gist of it. As for my percentages i will give them a +-5% margin.

I don't have to. I think we both said the same thing. We both said to many games out in the market that people wont buy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 08:46:05 AM by tynstar » Logged

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 11:25:43 AM »

there won't be another crash. when it happened the first time the gaming industry was still young and maybe thought of as a passing fad. how much time went by before the industry got rolling again? not much, the NES debuted in what? 1985?

things have been rolling steadily along for 20 years. we'll see some lulls and more game companies will come and go but I don't see it ever drying up completely. video games are common household objects now.

there's plenty of innovation too, it's just easy to miss as it's mixed in with all the same old/same old drivel.

the trend of recycling games/ideas/characters isn't going anywhwere either. that trend is everywhere. in the past few years how many boy bands have been rammed down our throats? how many reality TV shows? why do you think George Lucas is still making Star Wars movies?

I may be over simplifying things but what's going on in games isn't really much different than what's going on in many other forms of pop culture.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 11:42:27 AM »

Good points Den.

I dont think video games will dry up completely. I am just hoping less games will be put out.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length