RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2024, 11:18:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Forgotten Collection 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Collection  (Read 9161 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:33 AM »

I wrote a blog post a couple months back, and as many of you know from that post among other forum topics, I have a "pile" of games, hardware, trickets, collectables, and miscellaneous gaming related stuff I have pulled out of the closet and from under the bed and stacked (or casually dumped) in the corner of my gaming room. My goal has been to get all of it documented, sorted, and either displayed or boxed up in a more organized way.

Tonight, I dug through some loose bags and hardware to unveil some of the older stuff, specifically a couple of boxes with "SEGA" written on the outside, and another box with "Portables" on the side, all total containing 8 systems, 13 controllers, 143 games, and a bunch of cables/accessories. I remember picking up some of these at yard sales and thrift stores when I lived and worked in northern Wyoming/southern Montana, but most of this stuff is not ringing a bell.

I am both happy with my find, but also upset with myself for forgetting about all of this stuff. Have any of you ever boxed up something, forgot it was there, and surprised yourself when finding it again?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:02:03 AM by Boshamp » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »

The closest I've come to this is going through my drawers and closets at my parent's house. I found my old copies of FFVII, FFIX, and Brave Fencer Musashi.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:16:01 AM »

Similar to singlebanana, I've just found some interesting items tucked away in the closets of my parents house a year or two ago.  I found a stack of manuals for some SNES and N64 games, including Final Fantasy II and III, Secret of Mana, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and many others.  I also found (or rather, my mom found) an old SNES Game Genie.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »

I haven't reached that point yet, heh. I have gone on excursions to find forgotten games that made their way to younger siblings/nephews etc. Some of it was stuff I lent out and some of it was new to me. That's how I got my SNES mini for free. I also don't lend out games to younger kids anymore after seeing what happens to them. *flashbacks to sifting through piles of junk*
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »

I always find it an adventure when I go into my Game Room. I haven't unpacked anything in there for almost 2 years, and I keep finding boxes of things I forget about. I found this while looking for my soundtracks:

[img width=700 height=394]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i7s1HV1EvZ4/U57nEbfZ7cI/AAAAAAAACX0/n6FooAAzn9I/w1247-h702-no/WP_20140614_003.jpg[/img]

Yes, there are 150+ Atari 2600 manuals in there, and a random Genesis manual... Some missing NES games, an empty NES game box, some loose 3DO games... INTV game... who the hell packed this?  jester

EDIT Oh, and this NGPC I was looking for when it came up the other day. If anyone has any idea where this came from, let me know:
[img width=700 height=394]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oqMauCXBBug/U7LbRZA002I/AAAAAAAACZU/H-zsWz89ceA/w1247-h702-no/WP_20140620_004.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:02:06 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »

I found a Ti-99/4a once that I never remembered purchasing and promptly sold it.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:59 AM »

I am just glad to know I am not alone in this situation. Unfortunately, I am going to be with the family for the better part of the next week, so once again, it will have to be put on hold.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 01:26:17 AM »

Figured I would snap a couple pictures really quick before I take off for the week to give a visual to why I posted. I almost thought about posting to the small scores thread, but this made more sense. Is it a score when you find something you forgot you owned? It is basically a new purchase all over again, right? Smiley

[img width=550 height=328]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/Scott_Breaze/WP_20140702_001_zps133c2d70.jpg?t=1404281723[/img]

[img width=328 height=550]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/Scott_Breaze/WP_20140702_002_zps944889fb.jpg?t=1404281723[/img]

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »

I used to remember exactly where and when I bought everything in my collection. That stopped at about 1000 games. My best find of something I already had was when someone offered to buy my copy of Little Samson. At first I thought they were contacting the wrong person, but I checked my collection list and it was listed there, I immediately knew that was wrong, but I had to check the actual games to confirm before I removed it from my list, and sure enough, there it was sitting on my shelf. I have absolutely zero knowledge of ever buying it. I don't know if I bought it alone, or if it was in a lot, or if the magical NES fairy left it for me one night.

[img width=550 height=328]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/Scott_Breaze/WP_20140702_001_zps133c2d70.jpg?t=1404281723[/img]

That white thing (Pods?) looks pissed that you either neglected it so long, or that it had been found.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »

It's a weird pseudo-console Sega device.
NES Satellite, some Game Gear manuals, an orange NES Zapper, Xbox 360 HDD for what looks like a 20GB HDD, a Black GameCube, a Sega Saturn 6-button turbo controller... I miss anything?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »

Looks like a pack of hanafuda cards under the pods.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »

The PODS is like playing Simon, except with six "buttons" instead of four. It is a bitch yo play because the sensors are so sensitive, but a pretty cool item nonetheless. My hanafuda cards are not in the box to my knowledge. I don't see them in the pic, just the orange zapper. My only hanafuda set is the club Nintendo prize from a couple years back.

and no, you aren't missing anything, shadow. At least, not anything you can see in the pics. There are a couple original Xbox controllers (fattys), a steering wheel, the guncon2 set with the foot pedal, a couple gameboys, and more miscellaneous manuals in that box. The other hides another Dreamcast, four dc controllers, about 70 genesis games, and a few PICO games and manuals. There is a third box (not pictured) with another gamegear, a few gg games, two GB pockets, about 20 GB games, and a bunch of GB accessories. (cameras, printers, cables, battery packs, and a couple other things I didn't recognize.)

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »

My mom is a bit of a hoarder, so sometimes I'll go tearing through her basement getting Christmas/Halloween/whatever holiday is coming up decorations and come up with some things that I didn't even know I had.  One time I found sealed copies of Mega Man X and Metroid that my parents had forgotten to give to me for Christmas back when they were new.  That was a good day.

Of course, I know for a fact that I had a top loader NES and Mighty Final Fight.  I have the dog bone controller and manual from the NES and the Manual for Final Fight.  One day I'll find them and it will be glorious.

I used to remember exactly where and when I bought everything in my collection. That stopped at about 1000 games

I have this odd mental quirk where I can remember where I bought every single piece in my collection, the general date of when I got it and close to what I paid for it.  However if my wife asks me to grab her a drink while I'm getting a snack together for my oldest daughter I damn near have to write it down.  It's like I'm obsessive-compulsive in a very specific way about my collection.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 03:56:40 AM »

I do that too, Sauza. I swear she will tear my head off one of these times. She asks for something from the kitchen, I go into the kitchen and walk right back out. I used to ask again what she wanted, but now she knows to just repeat it as soon as I turn around. ha ha

To add to the forum topic...I just found this while digging in the pile, and I have no idea where it came from, or really what it is. I took a quick look on google, but am left with more questions than answers. It plays Genesis AND SEGA CD AND also works as a CD player? Was this some attempt at an all-in-one entertainment device? Is it hard to find or all that valuable? Will it also work with the 32X/32XCDs?

[img width=328 height=550]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m232/Scott_Breaze/WP_20140711_004_zps409d4d38.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:05:21 AM by Boshamp » Logged

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »

@Boshamp: It is sort of rare but definitely valuable It usually sells between $175-$225. (Crabby might have more updated prices) It is a compact Segacd/Genesis. 

Pricecharting link: http://videogames.pricech.../sega-genesis-cdx-console

It can't play 32X games but you can plug it in and play Genes games off the 32X cartridge slot.

Overview of the CDX: http://www.allgame.com/platform.php?id=17675

If you need a power supply Retro Game Cave may have one:

http://retrogamecave.weebly.com/sega-trio.html

They are the makers of the Sega Trio single power supply for the Genesis + Sega CD + 32X.

The CDX uses the same AV cables as the Genesis 2 and 3.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:19:20 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length