RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2024, 11:29:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The re-start of the arduous task of entering 1300 games into collection tools 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The re-start of the arduous task of entering 1300 games into collection tools  (Read 1280 times)
killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »

I started doing this about a year ago when I found RF Generation through the Collector cast podcast. The tools on here are truly the most superior to anything else out there. I started with my 3DO games but never got too far. Along with entering my games on here, Im also take detailed pics ( mostly for insurance purposes )  of the games with my HD webcam. Since 80% of my collection is CIB its a chore to take everything apart carefully and snap pics. Then on top of that, enter them into the Sort It app on my iphone, so I have a mobile record of everything. So in total it takes roughly about 5 min to enter 1 game into all the systems Im doing. So thats 6500 min or 108 hours or 4.5 days to enter everything. Thats just games not including all the systems and other items I want pics of....  Tongue

Current Collection last Updated April 21th 2012
http://www.backloggery.com/killerkobra
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »

killer - for insurance purposes, you don't need detailed pics unless it is an expensive item. I've used the site here to document my collection, and all that the insurance company needed to know was the name, condition, and contents at most. Considering I had to expense close to $2500 (my limit for renter's insurance at the time), the insurance company did a decent job of using eBay and finding CIB (or cart only if I had it labeled as such) versions and without a complaint refunded the amounts they found as an average.

Remember - you are the one placing a value on your collection, NOT the insurance company. They'll cover you for whatever you think it's worth.

killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »

Ya its not only for insurance, its for my self also.

But it cannot hurt having pics of everything. I have heard many horror stories with collections being destroyed and insurance companies completely cheeping out. A buddy of mine had a $60,000 music collection he collected over many years. Had a massive flood and everything was destroyed. He got back $8000 after fighting them forever. ( Maybe he never had the right insurance, I dont know but still )

Insurance companies are all different and bottom line...they are all criminals IMO

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »

Let me just be clear - the insurance company doesn't care what your collection is worth, and it's almost worthless to have insurance on your collection as a whole. Just cover the expensive items, and the others covered under home/renter insurance. The premium you would pay on the entire collection would quickly outweigh the amount you're covering in a couple years.

killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

ok thanks, Ill keep that in mind

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »

For my experience, the company used eBay to match name and contents and awarded me the median cost. Obviously, YMMV, but they seemed to know what they were doing.

killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »

My insurance company requires pictures.. So ya. I guess all companies are different right?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »

No, mine still required pictures. They just don't need to be super detailed. Wink
I took pictures of 40 carts in a picture, to give you an idea.

killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »

I just prefer detailed picture for myself to have for reference and also for insurance. It can't hurt to have detailed pictures of every game to give to them Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:20:40 AM by killerkobra » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length