RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 07:26:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Homebrew, Reproduction & Hack Guidelines 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Homebrew, Reproduction & Hack Guidelines  (Read 7285 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:28 AM »

They are piracy, I don't disagree with that. However they exist, and are a part of many gamer's collections. Therefore I believe they should be cataloged in some way. That's just my 2 cents.

the problem is that the site wants to try and stay away from cataloging things that are illegal basically. i don't think there's much else to it than that Tongue
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 03:04:49 AM »

Pretty sure Nintendo can come down on the site that was selling DK Pie Factory. And that's still in the DB... Those games I mentioned that were using copyrighted IPs can't be legal and yet here they are.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »

This is something I've said that I will step aside in for conversation's sake for multiple reasons, but I did want to correct something: There's nothing illegal about tracking information on pirates/bootlegs. It's not an issue about protecting the site. It's more an issue about quality control in my mind.

supernorst
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »

I agree with you fully Shadow Kisuragi. I will also state that I feel there is little difference in listing a hack like DK Pie Factory, and a mario 3 hack like Super Mario Adventure or say the fixed version of Castlevania 2.

Gamer of All Generations
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

There are high quality hacks/bootlegs like Pokemon Black, and then there are things like the random Brazilian MK hacks that izret wants to track. What separates the two? Should both be in the database? The first was created by a team, and the second was some random cartridge that someone hacked up since it was illegal in their country.

supernorst
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »

I would say both should be in the database. Many of these hacks are worth playing. Super Mario Adventure gets a huge amount of playtime from me. The only restriction I would add is that these games should have physical releases to be in the database, along with some quantity of games produced. I would also prefer that the variants be cataloged, different repro teams/individuals should be noted for example.

Gamer of All Generations
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »

I fall into the, "if the item exists, we should track it" crowd.

RFG isn't in the business of deciding the legality of items. We just want to track things. I'm sure if we dug around we could find all sorts of games that have dubious legal rights to be sold, in our DB. I'm not sure why we are worried about it. In my garage, right now, is an obvious, full sized, bootlegged Ms Pac Man arcade machine. It was made in 1982, along with many other bootlegged Ms Pac Man's of various quality. They are part of history. They exist. What does it matter that the manufacturer probably didn't have Bally-Midway's permission to be sold as far as it being a thing, an item, an object that exists?

That being said, RFG (in my mind) should still practice discretion when approving submissions that are obviously fake, homemade-one-offs or jokes.

Also, if we are worried about the man-power to work on these items submission wise, that is a separate topic. I don't want to have lax standards just because I want to see "hacks, bootlegs, ect." in the DB. If there aren't knowledgeable approvers for items being submitted, than something else needs to be worked out.
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »

What about games like Kabobber or Thwocker? They were prototypes which were later released. Are they homebrews when Activision is the company that finally did release them?

Have you played Atari today?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - Smash T.V.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

I'll play devils advocate. If I download a ROM, burn it to an EPROM and solder it into a cart, and I only make one copy for myself, it exists. Should I then expect it to be in our database?

I realize this is taking the argument to its extreme, but if we set guidelines they should apply universally IMHO.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »

i never meant that it's illegal to track them, just that i figured we wanted to stay away from anything released in illegal ways...unlicensed being a bit more of a grey area, and homebrew being completely ok in my mind because those are usually completely original games and not just straight copies to profit off someone else's work.
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »

But what about the games I mentioned? Are the Homebrews? Or official releases?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »

From what I read, Thwocker and Kabobber are just prototypes that someone found and released. Technically, whoever produces cartridges of those (or in some other collection) would be committing piracy. If Activision themselves decided to do a run of carts or included them in a compilation, then that would be a legitimate release.

Homebrew is a game made by a programmer (or small group) that is produced for a system that is past its commercial life span.

A pirate is either a direct copy of a game, or a new game using IP that they don't own the rights to.

I've heard people also use the term "pirate originals" for software released for a system clone that is unauthorized. Honestly though, if it is compatible with the original hardware, I would consider it unlicensed.

RFG makes no distinction at this time in the database regarding licensed/unlicensed/pirate.

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 11:47:28 PM »

Ah, I understand then. I happen to know that Activision did in fact release Kabobber and Thwocker as part of Activision Hits Remixed for the PSP. Theoretically, I believe that could make them eligible for inclusion on the database.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »

Theoretically, I believe that could make them eligible for inclusion on the database.
They were never officially released on the 2600 so no, they can't be included.
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »

That is sad. The completist in me wishes this site had a prototype listing. But of course, I understand that would cause too much confusion.
I'm confused, though... Why is Combat 2 included on the database?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length