RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:12:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Modern Community Playthrough - Shadow of the Colossus 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: June Modern Community Playthrough - Shadow of the Colossus  (Read 37408 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:32 PM »

By the way, it felt so cool to write "bring my memory card." I haven't done anything like bringing a game or memory card to a friend's house in about ten years. Hurray for nostalgia!

That is awesome! I know that Crabby loves this game, so I can't wait for us to discuss your experience playing it with him on the podcast. Personally interacting with friends and playing video games, outside of online play, is a dying culture. Nice to see you keeping it alive. I hope they don't swipe your memory card at airport security. Tongue

I also share these feelings...As much as I enjoy playing with my brother online with Dead Rising and Borderlands, I miss the same couch experience. Mario Kart, Mario Party, and really any multiplayer game had a different feeling to it when we could share it in person.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »

Just a reminder. If you are going to discuss specific details of the current playthrough that some might consider spoilers (such as tactics or critical moments in the story), please be sure to use the spoiler tags until the week is over. Feel free to discuss up to the previous save point after the week is over. For instance, we can freely discuss the colossi battles 1-4 when week 2 starts. If I see any posts that seem like spoilers, I'll try to mark with spoiler tags. No worries if you accidentally leaked something out, we're all good. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »

How do you add a spoiler tag?

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »

Code:
 [spoiler] [/spoiler] 

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »

Just to clarify, any tips that you might find in the instruction manual or that might help others. Such as Boshamp's mentioning of the weapon power indicator are fine since they aid in helping others without giving specifics of battles. If you have any questions on whether something may be a spoiler, send me a PM, or just tag it to be safe. Thanks all.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »

To me, there is something very "unnatural" about this. I think it has something to do with how little you know about what's really going on story-wise. Since you are kind of thrown into this narrative midway, you have no idea why you are saving this girl (her importance) and the consequences (if any) in taking action to do so. There is also nothing menacing about the colossi. They aren't attacking villages or causing harm to others. You are actually the one provoking them. Playing this game is unsettling and I appreciate that it evokes this emotion in me. I hope the story fleshes itself out, but something tells me that I won't be disappointed even if it doesn't/

I know it...is she a princess, sister, wife? and what did the colossi do to deserve death? Are we supporting some type of demon figure or evil spirit and making a deal with the devil that will backfire on us?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »

The world may never know..........

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »

After 2 hours of playing I've beaten five Colossi. The first Colossus gave me a ton of trouble.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Now that I've figured out the controls (and changed the camera controls) it's smooth sailing.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

Now that I've figured out the controls (and changed the camera controls) it's smooth sailing.

If you hit L1 (I believe), it automatically turns you so that you face the colossus. This really helps when you're in tight or being chased. Ha!

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »

You definitely need to do that during the flying Colossi, otherwise it's like getting hit by a bus.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »

Wait.....ONE FLIES!!!!! SPOILER!!! OMG!!!! CHEESEBURGER LAZERS!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:11:17 PM by singlebanana » Logged

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

I can't remember if the game teaches you this but there is a quick turnaround while riding Agro.  While galloping you press down on the left analog stick and at the same time press X twice (fast) and you will halt and start running the opposite direction.  Very helpful for certain fights that happen while on horseback.

I got a little ahead of myself and almost finished the game yesterday.  I'm going to slow down a bit and add my thought per colossi behind spoiler tags.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »

I had to stop myself too, this one seems to be very short, I know I was told 8-9 hours, but considering we are all pretty well into gaming...I might think most of us will get this done in like 5-6 hours. ha ha

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »

I remember each fight taking much longer the first time I played.  Knowing how to take each one down makes the game MUCH shorter so I'm going for fruit and lizard tails to extend this playthrough.  The last few pieces of fruit I ate didn't extend my lifebar so I may be at the max.

For those playing for the first time, if you hold your sword up during a colossus fight, the light will shine towards the weak spot.  Can help a little if you aren't sure where on the colossus you should be striking.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »

Does the game bring up the extras? I wasn't aware of anything like that when I defeated the first two colossi. I would love some collectables to make this longer.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length