RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 12:39:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Modern Community Playthrough - Shadow of the Colossus 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: June Modern Community Playthrough - Shadow of the Colossus  (Read 36396 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »

That is awesome. A lot younger than I thought he would be. My son is 4 and with his attention span, I doubt he would sit there and watch me without losing interest and wanting to play some more Mario Kart with me or something.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »

I have some great stories about my kids watching the playthrough which I'll share later. My son just turned 3 and daughter is 6.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2014, 04:11:34 AM »

Whew.. finally up to the week 2 checkpoint!!

Awesome! How are you enjoying it?

Gaius (#3) gave me a LOT of grief (even though I knew how to beat him), and I almost quit.  Glad I didn't, as the later Colossi reminded me why I enjoyed this game.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »

Gaius (#3) is sort of the first boss that has no real hint as to how to work your way onto him. With colossi #1 & #2, there are subtle hints on the leg and foot bottoms respectively. It's obvious that you need to run up the sword on Gaius since it is flat and stays in the ground for a while, but you can spend hours trying to find a way to traverse that bracer if you are unaware of how to shatter it. There are several colossi with armor that has to be broken and I think this is a really fantastic trope used in the game.

Probably the most aggravating of the colossi for me was Pelagia (#12). I know that this is the last colossi for the week, so I will keep my thoughts to myself regarding this one.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »

This is one of those games where I need to put myself in the shoes of the character. Would I do this if it were my Wife/Daughter/Sister/Mother on the stone table?

I think you're dead on it. I believe what this game does well is that it creates a story around you that is ill-formed and extremely minimalistic. Though that may not sound great on the surface, what it does is throw you into the middle of a story uninformed and makes you create your own interpretation of the events leading up to your current state. It also forces you to try and make sense of your actions and the consequences that might enfold from them. As a result, you want to play more and more to see what's going to happen; it becomes addictive.

This game is similar to the movies and books that I prefer; while some may like concrete stories with well-defined endings, I tend to prefer more abstract media with fragmented endings that leave you to interpret what may or may not happen next. I think media like this leaves more of a lasting impression on you and stays in your mind for days, weeks, and even months.

The "unknown" sort of becomes it's own character in this story and I find that fascinating.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »

Even though the game throws the player into the middle of the story the opening cinematic offers enough context to justify Wander's intentions. The beginning is open to speculation (how did the girl, I think Mono is her name, die? What's her relationship with Wander?) but the events of the game are pretty clear to me except for the shadowy figures in the temple.

This game offers more questions than it does answers.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »

Defeated the tenth colossus. What a scary battle. I've still got an adrenaline rush.

But darn.... those eyes...

[img width=300 height=385]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090521191051/t__/teamico/images/1/15/DirgeTemplate.jpg[/img]

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »

Tell that Sand Tiger to stop staring at me! I'm Brian Fellows.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »

Holy cannoli was #11 difficult to find! I had to use the SotC wiki to find it. The battle itself was quite fun and not very challenging.

Spoiler (hover to show)

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2014, 02:34:46 AM »

I'm glad you mentioned what Ico was banana. LOL i've been meaning to ask. Didn't know if it was related to SotC or just the same developer. Kinda cool that this is the prequel and I don't know the first thing about Ico's storyline.

I think I was going around in circles looking or this one FOREVER. At least I found around 10 or more lizards during that time heh. I guess I finally found it because I got a 3 second cut scene. This one was actually pretty easy. Funny how you lose stamina really deep in the water and it takes forever to float to the top ha. I liked this one a lot.

Trying to catch up on 8 now so I can get back on track this week.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:20:45 AM by singlebanana » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »

***FYI, I removed your spoiler tag h1ghw1nd. Week 3 is upon us and since #7 fell within Week 2, we can discuss it openly.

I thought the water serpent battle was a great fight and it was very creative how they implemented this terrain. Your immobility underwater and spurts of running down the creature's back when it surfaced was exciting and very cool. I was a little surprised that when you ran out of air, you just released and floated to the top. I don't recall taking any damage for this. Kind of odd considering it's quite the opposite for most games.

One of my favorite parts of this game is looking for the colossi. I love the sudden cut scenes when you stumble upon them. Some are very serine, while others are so aggressive that you know the fight is immediately being taken to you.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »

I'm up to 15 and I'm waiting until the final week to take him down.  Been looking for lizards and fruit lately.  Should I post the pic of my health and stamina bar or is that kind of spoiler-y?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »

No, I think posting that is fine. Everyone knows what the lizards and fruit do you're not giving away any essential parts of the game.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »

[img width=700 height=525]http://i.imgur.com/F3F1hZC.jpg[/img]

Max life bar and almost max stamina.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »

That's awesome. I bet you have no problems hanging on for long amounts of time.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length