RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2024, 01:27:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Analogue Nt 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Analogue Nt  (Read 3526 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »

The designer in me thinks its gorgeous, but I really like the styling of the original just as much, especially the door on the front.
I collect for the nostalgia, this just wouldn't scratch that itch.
I'm guessing this is made for hipsters who have the money to burn.

I wonder where they got the chips, think they salvaged them from old units? I wonder if that'll inflate the Nintendo bubble a little more, or are there so many NES/Famicom systems out there that it wouldn't matter if a few hundred of them were taken out of circulation?

People with money to waste = Yes most likely.

Old units = yes most likely

Removing a couple hundred units from circulation thus causing a price increase = Maybe if you tacked a few zeroes on the end people might realize that ebay listings for NES systems would be ending every 3 minutes instead of every 1. In 10-20 more years they might kick up in scarcity as more fail/get converted/destroyed.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »

From what I understand the CPU and PPU were harvested from cheap, yellowed Famicoms.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »

As Duke stated:

"We were able to procure a large quantity of HVC-001 Famicom systems that were in cosmetically undesirable unsellable condition. The plastic enclosure of the HVC-001 systems are notoriously yellowed, brittle and damaged," the company says on its website.

http://www.cnet.com/news/...e-letter-to-retro-gaming/

It also makes sense that this is how they can have a FDS port.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »

The FDS RAM adapter just plugs into the cart slot. The expansion port is used for accessories and external controllers. I suppose they could build the RAM adapter into the system and just use a plug into the drive itself, I don't believe this is implemented on the Nt.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »

We were able to procure a large quantity of HVC-001 Famicom systems that were in cosmetically undesirable unsellable condition. The plastic enclosure of the HVC-001 systems are notoriously yellowed, brittle and damaged,
To me, that's not right... I don't like the idea of taking original consoles out of circulation. Cry
Also, surely someone would buy a yellowed console...
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »

My cousin snapped pics of a store in Japan and there had to have been literally hundreds in that one shop.

I tried to find the picture i was thinking of but this will have to suffice.
[img width=700 height=933]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/405366_10151014242862167_17378095_n.jpg[/img]
So roughly 25 USD could buy you a CIB or loose fami.

In comments on that he mentions that there were also "junk" bins with systems that were not fully functional. You could grab them for parts for ~100 yen.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was where at least some of these came from Wink

Oh yea in case you can't make it out in the pic. The store is called Hard Off. It is a chain store seems like Half Price Books but each store in the chain is more specialized.
Deets: http://www.marutsu-group.jp/en/reuse.html

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length