RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 09:29:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PSP Launch Day - how'd it do? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PSP Launch Day - how'd it do?  (Read 4192 times)
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« on: March 25, 2005, 10:00:38 PM »

http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599156p1.html

Pretty crappy, according to this.  So far the PSP is selling like....um.....well....barely at all.  We'll see for sure when the official numbers come in, but so far it ain't looking good.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 10:07:04 PM »

I hope it stays that way. If the numbers are correct that is.

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:04:57 PM »

I hope it stays that way. If the numbers are correct that is.

awe...did you even try it....its an amazing system

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 01:23:02 AM »

I picked mine up but I didn't even open it yet. Actually I might be trading it for NES games.

I was talkin to the manager at GameStop, asked him if he got swamped cause the joint was empty when I was there. He said he had to open at 8am and the folks that did come in didn't come for a PSP.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 01:24:28 AM by Antimind » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 02:06:25 AM »

Odd, I read somewhere else it did pretty good.
CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 05:53:47 AM »

I heard there were a crapload of problems with the PSP.

- Zac
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 06:35:48 AM »

awe...did you even try it....its an amazing system

The Dreamcast was an amazing system and that duidnt sell well. I just don't like Sony. I wonder if it is going to break all the time like the PS2 did.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 10:05:38 AM »

I was just at Target and a guy working there said they had gotten a letter from Sony saying how fast they would sell. said you should sell out within hours.

Well out of the 50 they got 3sold on the first day and a total of 6 since the launch.

laugh laugh laugh

I think that is great news and hope it is the same story all over.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 11:05:44 AM »

What do you have against the PSP? You're no Nintendo fanboy, so that can't be it.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 11:07:23 AM »

I just don't like Sony. I wonder if it is going to break all the time like the PS2 did.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 11:26:19 AM »

'just' isn't a reason not to like something.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 12:01:58 PM »

Two friends of mine work in retail here in Cincinnati.  One works at Media Play, and they got 60 in at their store.  Seven sold the entire launch day, and none the day after.  None.  Remember that this is spring break, so LOTS of people are out of school, college, work, etc.  The other friend works at Best Buy, and if I remember right he said they got 90 in at his store.  From opening time until the time he left (around 3 pm) on launch day, he said about fifteen sold.  If that's not a horrible launch, I don't know what is.

As The Evil Leon pointed out, take note of the figures that will surely come out next week.  They'll use the word "shipped" instead of "sold" along with a really big number....  which of course means nothing.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »

@Arr Anthony was righ Becuase the PS2 breaks all the time.

Plus most of Sony's stuff is over priced just beacuse it says "Sony" on it.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 09:10:58 PM »

Yeah I'm the friend the Reverend was refering to as working at Best Buy (well I did until today at 3:30, yay for coop!). We opened at 8:01for the special PSP only event. We were expecting huge lines to be comparable to Black Friday, but we opened to only three people waiting for the PSPs, we had a total of five people come in before 10 looking for PSPs, and we had a bunch of other people come in and get some other forms of media and also some appliance accessories. I believe by the time I had left at 3:30 on launch day we had sold only 14 PSPs, and I had a lot of peeps complain on how it didn't actually play PS2 games. Awwww....

Not surprisingly, pretty much everyone who bought a PSP went out of the store with the replacement plan and a hard case. That just shows how much confidence there really is in Sony products, and how fragile the PSP is viewed as. That is not good for the PSP to be viewed that way, and there really are a lot of things that can be broken on that thing.

But, after I had my hands on the PSP for a minute I must say that it is extremely sexy, and the LCD screen is HUGE. The buttons also are not sunk into the handheld as was orignally seen in PSP mockups. Did I mention the HUGE screen? If the PSP didn't cost $250, and the games didn't cost between 40 and 50 dollars then I would consider getting it. But I won't, and I am sure that others have the same sentiments that I have.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 09:11:48 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 11:30:30 AM »

I have 1 friend selling his DS and 3 games to buy a PSP. I am going to try and get $150 by the end of april to purchase it.

I have another friend who was insulting PSP when DS first came out(and he bought it) and he is now going to buy a PSP tonight or tomorrow. He just turned around and insulted DS today and said it is a piece of crap next to PSP. He just went on to say it in alot more ways.

Of the 4 DS owners i go to school with 1 is going to sell his and 2 others are buying a PSP(one being the DS insulter) the last one of them the DS was her first console.

Maybe PSP is going to have a snowball effect.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 11:31:00 AM by IZRET101 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length