RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 06, 2024, 12:20:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | collection appraisal 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: collection appraisal  (Read 1885 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »

i felt curious to get a (very rough) idea of what my collection is worth, and wow that really puts it into perspective how much this hobby costs. it also shows just how much prices have gone up for some things. i haven't finished going through everything yet but i did go through all the N64 games which is my biggest collection, and a lot of those surprised me with how much they've gone up. i typically don't look at market prices for games once i own them, at that point i don't care too much, so i lost touch with what things were going for.

anyone else ever try doing this? i only used http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ . like i said it was a very rough estimate of prices, but most of them seemed about right.
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »

I usually go off of asking prices on Amazon Marketplace to estimate the value of games. I got into the habit of using Ammy Marketplace as a price chart because it's the primary venue I use to resell stuff. If the asking prices seem too ludicrous, however, it's off to find out what the game sold for for on a recently-ended eBay listing.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

I was always interested but it would take quite some time. Pricing out 600 games based on condition would take weeks. Plus that site only seems to show loose (which I assume means disc or cart only) or new, which wouldn't apply to most people. Plus it seems way off base. A new copy of Kirby 64 is only $80 according to them but a new copy of Kirby's Dream Course is $289? Don't seem right to me. I just know I don't have the time to do it right now using any source.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »

Recently ended eBay auctions.

Really if you want to value a collection it is like valuing a stock. Prices fluctuate daily. Difference being with collecting price fluctuates not because of the item itself but because of who wants it at that moment and how much they want to pay for it.

Price Charting says KoA: Signature Edition is worth 860$s right now. I haven't seen a copy sell for over 700 since the first month or 2 after release. I can't remember the last time i saw one sell for over 500 if at all.

As for the cost of the hobby. Also REALLY depends on what you set your limits at. I spent more and got less in the last 2 years than i did in the first 2 years when i started collecting. When i started out i was able to pick up hundreds of games in the free-10$ range. Since i don't collect like i use to now i'm more likely to grab one 10-20$ game than i am to grab a dozen 1$ games.

With collecting quantity and quality(gameplay or value wise) don't always match either. You can spend a ton on a shitty game or be patient/lucky and grab a great one on the cheap.

If i put up a bounty of 100$s(which i will never never never do[probably]) for any Mortal Kombat game i don't own it doesn't mean they are worth 100$s to any other person who wants to buy them. And it certainly doesn't mean they are worth that much. Just means i pinned a dollar amount to my impatience and willingness to finish buying them.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

I'm going to have to hire someone to appraise our library for insurance reasons. Still looking.

No doubt it will be a painstaking process Tongue

Keelah se'lai
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »

@the questions about the accuracy of pricecharting, the numbers they give you aren't always right. i think it's supposed to take the average of all recent sales, but sometimes it only directly takes the most recent sale price for some reason. they have a "compare" option where you can look at all sales over the past year or more (depending on how many sales there were) so you can see what data they use to get the actual number. if a number seems off i check through that and it uses ebay completed listings but in a faster to read manner, so i find it generally easy. it also takes data from other places but it's mostly ebay. like i said i was just going for a very rough market value out of curiousity, and for that it works pretty well.

i also wasn't considering condition, that would be an undertaking i don't even want to think about. i just went by average market value and then assumed around 10% off the total collection value at the end for condition. a lot of my stuff is in decent shape but there's stuff in bad shape too so i think about 10% less than those numbers would be close.

@monkees, you have to click on the entry itself because they don't show it on the big list but the individual pages do have a new CIB price listed. for anything like CB, or CI i would just take a rough guess in between the loose and CIB numbers. i wasn't going by the overall list at all, only ever what was on the individual page so i could see the data they were using to double check it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:53:03 PM by techwizard » Logged
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »

N64 stuff has definitely skyrocketed in price over the past few years, but I think the GameCube library might have increased in price even more.

Another inaccuracy of pricecharting.com is when it actually comes time to sell those games.  It often seemed like I couldn't give away parts of my collection at times.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

Agree with Izret here. Recently ended eBay auctions are the best and easiest way to appraise anything. Pricecharting.com has it's uses - I mostly use it to simply identify what's expensive and what's not, instead of using it as a price guide, specifically - but isn't great for appraisals.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »

I'm going to have to hire someone to appraise our library for insurance reasons. Still looking.

No doubt it will be a painstaking process Tongue

Since I've gone through this before, I can tell you that it's essentially worthless to bother with. Create a documented list of what you own, down to details like "box, manual, cartridge" (the major items), and things that would add significant value to the price (like the poster for Pitfall 32X). Then, put an arbitrary amount down for what you'd like to be covered for, and pay the premium for that.

What eventually ended up covering the damage to my collection when my apartment flooded? Renter's insurance, not actual insurance. They covered $2500 worth of damage, and we ended up around $2600 worth of damage. It's not worth covering the entire collection - just the expensive/rare items, since you'll essentially be paying to cover damage and loss to the collection every month.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length