RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 06, 2024, 02:19:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Game Bit Bitterness 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game Bit Bitterness  (Read 2007 times)
Shepy
Atari 7800
United States

Stats

Champion of

« on: January 26, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »

So I've used some homemade game bits I modified from screwdriver bits for some time now but they just aren't cutting it. I need to get a well made set but am having troubles, seeing as reviews for all of them seem to be mixed. Anyone have any recommendations?
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »

Don't go with the absolute cheapest or most expensive, somewhere in the middle and you'll be safe in most cases. For as often as most people use them, even the cheaper ones will last for years.
I got mine off ebay FWIW.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »

I bought my game bit drivers from www.newelectronx.com years ago, and they are still in perfect shape. Well made.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »

Harbor Freight has bits that work as game bits, and they typically hold up well.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »

I know this isn't answering your question Smiley    but I made my own as well. I think the trick was using a good piece of steel rather than something soft that would change shape and get marred up with use.

[img width=700 height=525]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/7317576362_0e1ba001d8_o.jpg[/img]

I do agree that having a nice set of tools would be better, but I like making my own when I can. It's not like it see's much use anyways. It's worked well so far.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »

I have blue-handled, Silverhill Gamebit screwdrivers that seem pretty decent.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Shepy
Atari 7800
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions... The problem with the ones I've made is that they tend to strip the plastic if slightly big or break if the right size...
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 03:06:53 AM »

i bought a pack of 2 bits, each a different size (one mainly for carts, one mainly for systems) off ebay a few years back and haven't had any issues with them even after opening a lot of carts. i think they were around $8 for the pair before shipping.
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »

I picked up a Pro's Kit video game screwdriver set from the local Fry's Electronics for $30 a few months back.

http://www.frys.com/product/6174539

[img width=300 height=300]http://www.cyberguys.com/images/prod_images/p73118a.jpg[/img]

It's worked fairly well for me so far, although on some occasions a bit wasn't able to get to deeper-set screws on some of my consoles without having to buy extra accessories. Also, the included ratcheting screwdriver is a bit junky, but it's not like I can't get a suitable replacement for it should the need arise. Another downside is that the case doesn't hold the bits very securely; if you open the case up after dropping it, you'll likely have to reorganize everything.

On the upside, it includes three sizes of tri-wing bit, all the hex-ish security bits to open Nintendo and Sega consoles and carts, and even a few to open up Happy Meal toys so you can replace the batteries. And of course it has the usual array of slotted and Philips. And pasted on the inside of the lid is a quick-reference chart of the various bits and which consoles and/or games they can open up.

And... well, that's it, really. I know you're expecting me to end this with a dumb joke or smart-ass remark, but... sorry, fresh out right now. Maybe for my next post, okay?

'Late
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length