RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:25:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | yep. I'm done selling stuff on eBay 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: yep. I'm done selling stuff on eBay  (Read 5498 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

I've been buying stuff on ebay since 2006 but have never sold anything until last month.  I saw that paypal had taken out fee per sold item listed.  Ok i get that.  Then i receive another invoice today saying that i owe them MORE money on some bs trumped up "final value" fee?  With the two fees together that's 15%.  Game Gavel needs more activity, screw ebay.

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »

Yea, eBay has always done that. That's how they make their money. Unfortunately until Game Gavel gets the Internet traffic eBay does, I'll have to continue to sell there. I've been buying and selling since 2005. I'm used to it.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »

15% is huge, especially when you've made $150 in a month.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:34:47 AM »

Paypay takes another 3% plus 10 cents(maybe it is only a nickle) per transaction if memory serves.

I tried with gamegavel. I REALLY gave it a massive effort.
Even with the fees ebay has and me having 0 fees associated with my GG account i made more on eBay in the first week than i made on GG in 3+ months.

In one instance i made ~18$s on eBay for an game i had sold another copy of on GG after relisting for 2 months for a dollar.

(EDIT Also worth noting i was a featured seller during that time.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:45:33 AM by Izret101 » Logged

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

Paypay takes another 3% plus 10 cents(maybe it is only a nickle) per transaction if memory serves.

It was $0.30 last time I checked. Even on donations, which is why when we do a donation drive, I don't just ask everyone to donate $1, as much as I'd like to.

The dilemma with Game Gavel is that it needs more traffic, but won't get the traffic without sellers, but won't get sellers without traffic...
Its a nice place to get rid of stuff if you're not in a hurry to get rid of it and don't mind not getting top dollar, but other than that, ebay is unfortunately still better.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »

Game Gavel is a good place to find some bargains, and they have a few good sellers there. I don't really sell there because I primarily sell through forums. I use ebay for non-gaming sales and have gotten used to the fees. The reality is that they can quickly help me to sell things that I would never get sold locally.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »

i'm sure the fees add up, but last time i sold i thought they weren't that bad really. it's low enough where you can still make a good profit
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:23 AM »

The bad part about having so much traffic on ebay?   Ass-holes and liars.  I'm 99% sure i just got back-doored on a Mega Man X 3 today.  The seller apparently had his car broken into at Wal-Mart when he was on his way to the post office. That's convenient.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 02:22:05 AM »

Only 15%?  I think Amazon charges close to 20% only $60 items.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »

The bad part about having so much traffic on ebay?   Ass-holes and liars.  I'm 99% sure i just got back-doored on a Mega Man X 3 today.  The seller apparently had his car broken into at Wal-Mart when he was on his way to the post office. That's convenient.

that sucks but just demand a refund, if he doesn't give it then report him to ebay. usually you'll get your money back one way or another, i think i've heard that ebay might reimburse you on things like that (don't quote me on that though).
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »

that sucks but just demand a refund, if he doesn't give it then report him to ebay. usually you'll get your money back one way or another, i think i've heard that ebay might reimburse you on things like that (don't quote me on that though).
From my experience, the buyer is always right. Even if logic says they're not.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »

Open a case then escalate it to ebay.  Did you use Paypal?  Once that happens it freezes the money.  Usually the person will then attempt to placate you through refunds or whatever, but the burden of proof will be on them.  If they don't make you happy the case will be decided by ebay, you will get your money, and the seller will look like a tool.  Ebay is heavily geared towards the buyer, so in most cases they will win (though mostly people handle it in the Resolution Center before that happens).  Trust me.  The company I work for a has a large presence on ebay and we get screwed by buyers all the time (not saying you are one of them).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »

Yep, being a seller on eBay can be a real nightmare. I once sold a top notch video card on there for a few hundred. Back then I never bothered with paying the extra for tracking... guess what happened. After a week (may not have even been that long) the buyer complained it hadn't arrived yet. I told them it would take a few weeks to arrive, as I've sent and received stuff internationally before so had a good idea how long it would take. The buyer claimed on PayPal I never sent the item. I had the receipt to prove it, but PayPal said it had to be an international tracking number or nothing. So they froze my PayPal account until I could pay them the $400 leaving me without my expensive video card or the $400...

So yeah, they can really suck and the lesson learned, if it's an expensive item, make sure to send it by registered post, since PayPal have some fine print rule that if it isn't sent that way, the buyer can get the item and their cash back and leave you empty handed.

TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »

I sell things occasionally, but mostly buy on eBay.  I've had bad experiences as both a buyer and a seller:

As a seller, I sold a GBA SP to somebody who, the day it arrived, complained to eBay that I had "sandpapered the finish" on it, and demanded a refund plus some free items. (Don't know where he got the idea he could do that, and not just for the fact that he wasn't demanding these items from me, but... okay. Huh) Immediately after, he had left negative feedback on me, and never once attempted to contact me until I did a couple of days later when I had the time.  In his one reply, he was extremely rude, cursing every other word, and didn't reply again to the other 3 or so messages I sent after attempting to settle the dispute and make things alright.  He then attempted to escalate the claim with eBay, but by then I had already sent the photos I had posted on the auction of the GBA that clearly showed it had never been "sandpapered," along with his one curse-laden reply, as well as a message from another eBayer that this attempted buyer had attempted to do the exact same scam to, to eBay upon their request, and it was obvious he wasn't getting anything from me or eBay.  Afterwards, he messaged me one more time, threatening to find me and kill me, so he was banned indefinitely when I brought that up to eBay, naturally.

As a buyer, I had a simple case of a Canadian seller not sending a copy of Captain Comic, not replying at all to at least 5 attempts of contact, and eBay/PayPal refunding my money after a month and a half after the original transaction.

As for fees, I tend to sell things that aren't really that high-dollar, and are things I'm really just looking to stop letting them take up space in my house, so I'm not all that worried about how much I make on them or how much eBay and PayPal take out of that money.  That's just me, though, and I can understand how you might not like that much coming out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:33:44 AM by TheSaintOfPain » Logged

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »

Damn i shouldn't be complaining, you guys have dealt with nightmares.

At least i got the refund.  I left the guy neutral feedback, giving him the benefit of the doubt that his car could have been broken in to.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length