RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2024, 12:20:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Wii U manuals 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wii U manuals  (Read 2853 times)
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« on: December 05, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »

Having recently started buying Wii U games, two things have come to my attention:

1) Games don't have physical manuals (Sad), but often have "Software Quick Guides" which is a foldout sheet with basic control info and nothing else.  Should these be classed as Extra Media (which is what I have been doing) or should they be treated as Manuals?

2) The 3 Australian games I own use Eco-Box cases (holes in the front and back, very flimsy), whereas the 1 European game I own does not.  Are these Eco-Box cases standard issue in other countries/regions?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »

I don't know man...I just work here.  Undecided

There aren't many staff members with WiiU consoles. Maybe Bickman would know, but might be worth asking Ryudo, Link or a few of the other Nintendo guys. For the "staff" slant, I would say that if you would consider that a manual, we'll add it as a manual...but I think that's just an insert like the classic PC inserts had for keyboard shortcuts. Manuals should probably be empty.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:19:03 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »

that's also similar to the quick reference cards that many n64 games had, which weren't considered manuals
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »

Are all WiiU games like this, or is this only for certain publishers? If its every game, I say we just use the guides as manuals. Seems kind of odd to have an empty manual image and then an extra media image for every game.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »

FWIW, PS4 games don't have manuals as well.  I submitted this in the manual slot, mainly because I think not having the manual slot red on the game page looks ugly. ninja
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »

Technically, it would be very easy for me to enable/disable manuals per console...just saying.

kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »

yeah, i've been treating the "manual"-section as a slot for instructions, so if there's no booklet to submit i've used some single-sheet instructions and foldouts, like so - http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=E-202-S-00211-A
don't think it's a good idea to disable it outright tho, some publishers will probably still print 'em. "Instructions" instead of "Manual" maybe..?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »

i'm not sure submitting the little quick instruction guides under manuals is such a great idea, because then it could cause confusion over what goes in the manual slot on other consoles that do have real manuals.
kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »

i'm with blcklblskt; it just messed with my ocd to have a perfectly good slot greyed out =) but yeah, that could also cause concern for someone who picks that game up expecting a booklet and finding just an insert.
makes you wonder what constitutes a "manual" tho; how about a 4-page folded sheet?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

i'm with blcklblskt; it just messed with my ocd to have a perfectly good slot greyed out =) but yeah, that could also cause concern for someone who picks that game up expecting a booklet and finding just an insert.
makes you wonder what constitutes a "manual" tho; how about a 4-page folded sheet?

for me it's just a quick setup or installation guide. the biggest argument against it being a manual is that usually on those guides it says "for complete instructions see manual on disc [or website]", most of the time they clearly say this isn't a full manual and we have another one somewhere else.
kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »

yeah, i'll gather those entries for the "images needing to be moved"-thread later. think it's mostly PC and Wii U titles.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »

Technically, it would be very easy for me to enable/disable manuals per console...just saying.

I'm curious to know if there could be something in the DB when adding a game that would allow you to pick N/A for something like a manual which would then make that field "grayed out" when adding games to your collection or for media scans.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »

I'm curious to know if there could be something in the DB when adding a game that would allow you to pick N/A for something like a manual which would then make that field "grayed out" when adding games to your collection or for media scans.

Easily - would be the same change and just hooking it up to a couple new pages via a new parameter in a SQL query.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »

Not every game has just a digital manual/keyboard shortcut sheet. There are several I own that have actual manuals.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »

Not every game has just a digital manual/keyboard shortcut sheet. There are several I own that have actual manuals.

This makes me very happy- I started to despair when Super Mario 3D World didn't have one.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length