RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 09:13:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | How do you guys feel about replacement labels? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How do you guys feel about replacement labels?  (Read 4092 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »

Here's something to throw a kink into the works...

I have a Contra cartridge where the label was literally ripped off. I picked it up for $5, so it didn't bother me at all as I planned on giving it away as a gift some time here on the site, whether it be a future Secret Santa, contest, or whatever. All that's left on the cartridge are small remnants of a label (T&C Surf Designs, if you'll believe that) that someone tried to tape over what was left of the Contra label.

Would you:
Use a label maker to put a small sticker on it denoting it's Contra?
Replace the missing label with an accurate replacement label?
Replace the entire front of the cartridge from a Contra donor cart (could be expensive)?
Replace the missing label with a fan-art label?
Leave it as-is?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »

i think if it was really cheap and the label was almost non-existant, i might make an exception and replace the label, but that's only for the worst of the worst
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »

Here's something to throw a kink into the works...

I have a Contra cartridge where the label was literally ripped off. I picked it up for $5, so it didn't bother me at all as I planned on giving it away as a gift some time here on the site, whether it be a future Secret Santa, contest, or whatever. All that's left on the cartridge are small remnants of a label (T&C Surf Designs, if you'll believe that) that someone tried to tape over what was left of the Contra label.

Would you:
Use a label maker to put a small sticker on it denoting it's Contra?
Replace the missing label with an accurate replacement label?
Replace the entire front of the cartridge from a Contra donor cart (could be expensive)?
Replace the missing label with a fan-art label?
Leave it as-is?

In this case, I would consider it a "player" copy and leave it as is. In this condition though, I think anything other than an accurate replacement label would be considerable, even the option to just Sharpie the name onto it (it's the wrong shell anyway).

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »

It's the right shell... someone just ripped off the label to T&C and TAPED it on for whatever bizarre reason. The remnants of the original Contra label were underneath, though barely recognizable.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »

By "player" copy do you mean it's suitable for a gamer or meant to be played only while not holding a place in one's collection?

Before I totally sign off on this topic because my thoughts have been voiced I think it's fine if people want to leave the cartridge in the condition they bought it, and it's OK if they want to make more aesthetically pleasing too. It's the person's choice. Now if this game were to be sold at some point the seller should be explicit in saying something has been restored/refinished.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length