RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 11:51:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | How do you guys feel about replacement labels? 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How do you guys feel about replacement labels?  (Read 4105 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »

I see these things on ebay all the time.  I have a couple games that could use new labels, like my copy of Mega Man 4 has absolutely no label to speak of. 

What do you guys think?  Would this decrease the value of a game like Little Samson?  Would anyone even notice?  Or do you just prefer authenticity over cleanliness?

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »

Depends on the quality, I suppose. I think I'd probably be okay with it if there were no quality issues with the replacement.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »

had this conversation with Crabmaster a month or so back. Seems like most collectors are ok with it, as long as the repro label is differentiated somehow from the original. That being said, this reminds me a lot about a different collecting of mine. Vintage Transformers.

Several chinese companies in the past few years have started producing G1 transformer KO. These knockoffs are so close to the originals ie; packaging, molds, date stamps etc, that there are guides that exist to identify the differences. As a collector, the only problem I have with this, is dishonest people out there who will try and pass something off as "completely original" when its not.

A person can buy a repro label, be honest and make sure that the person you sell it to, is informed of the label. But who is to say that person will do the same?

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »

i think it's a good way to save money, but from a collecting standpoint it's a pretty bad idea, especially if it looks very close to the original. it's like all these repro controllers for old nintendo consoles i've been seeing come onto the market, where they're identical in every aspect to the original, except no nintendo logo. to the casual gamer that's not an issue, but someone just getting into collecting might not realize the difference (especially if they're unfamiliar with the system, and if it was loose). could lead to a lot of people getting ripped off like mike said
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:01:33 PM »

I would prefer original to a reproduction label, even if damaged. If the person that creates the replacements makes the EXTREMELY different than the originals, I am good with that as well. I just wouldn't want one that could cause any issue whatsoever in regards of forgery.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »

I'm probably the only person who wouldn't mind replacement labels at all. If it looked so much like an original label that I couldn't tell the difference, I'd stick it on my cartridge right away. I won't be selling any of my games anytime soon so I think I wouldn't be hurting anyone.

Of course this comes with a caveat. The seller of the label would have to upfront in saying it's a repro.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »

I have been wondering the same thing lately, I have a Dracula X for the SNES with a ripped label, and Have been contemplating replacing it. I haven't yet for many for the reasons everyone is talking about

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

So hypothetically, if I said, "Here's a Dracula X label that looks authentic but is a reproduction" would you put it on the cartridge?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »

So hypothetically, if I said, "Here's a Dracula X label that looks authentic but is a reproduction" would you put it on the cartridge?

i feel like that would take away too much from the collectability of it. sure it looks great, but it's not "original" and therefore less desirable. if you're into the hobby more for the gamer side of it than the collector side, then sure it might not matter, because then originality doesn't matter so much as practicality and asthetics. i don't think many serious collectors would be ok with it though, and at the very least it would lower the value and make re-sale much more difficult. most people assume they'll never sell their collections, but there have been occasions where i've seen people post to say things like "really didn't want to do this but i need to sell off part (or all) of my collection to pay off [bills/buying a house/renovations/health costs/etc]".
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »

Good point about needing to sell certain collection pieces. It does happen.

So if you wouldn't put a reproduction label on a cartridge, do you collect the game itself (basically the data inside), the cartridge, or both? I strongly feel that I collect the physical item with the intent to eventually play the game. So looks are important.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »

I agree with techwizard, in the collectability aspect as well as the value.  You see all the time on antiques roadshow where someone has refinished a piece of furniture and the appraiser tells them the piece is now not worth as much, or buyers are less likely to choose it since the original piece has now been altered. This is the main reason I have no bought a reproduction label, and the way it would make me feel, like I was lying to myself or something.

I will say I applied a reproduction label to a Mega Man X1 cart I had, after doing it I did not feel right. The label for the cart was non existent and that is why I replaced it but now that I did that I look at it differently. The replacement label is obviously a replacement though, as it is not even glossy. Although I still don't really feel right about doing it.  This is just my personal feelings on how I felt on the matter. If you feel okay with doing it, go ahead and do it.  Although I agree that you should tell the person you sell the game to it is a reproduction label.  You can't really manage what they will eventually do with it, just hope that since you showed honesty they may feel a need to be honest when they decide to sell said game with reproduction label.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:58:32 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:01 AM »

Apparently this question has been asked before: http://nintendoage.com/fo...atid=5&threadid=59235

The general consensus on Nintendo Age was that if you can replace the entire cartridge that's ideal, otherwise you just have to live with a gnarly label. However, I can't understand why people feel so strongly about the authenticity of a sticker. You don't play the sticker, it's just a visual identifier.

Regarding your comment about refinished furniture, I won't entirely agree with you but I see what you mean. It really depends on the quality of the craftsmanship.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 12:21:07 AM »

the thing is usually for most collector's it's more about it being original than being perfect. a lot of refurbishings are done to "improve" something to make it more appealing to look at, but then it loses the history behind it...in the case of furniture, it could turn it from something that was hand crafted in 18th century france to something frankenstein-like that is half factory made in modern china.

edit: i see label replacement in the same way as i see replacing a cardboard box with a plastic clamshell "display/collector" case (like this: http://www.retrogamecases...ploads/n64_both_front.jpg ). it probably looks better on a shelf (cleaner, crisp look), will protect the game much better. but it's not original, and for me that makes it much less desirable, because i want to have it all as if i just walked into a late-90s retail store and picked it off the shelf.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:25:50 AM by techwizard » Logged
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »

I can't understand why people feel so strongly about the authenticity of a sticker. You don't play the sticker, it's just a visual identifier.

Why do people collect boxes and manuals? You can't play those either. If you follow that line of reasoning to its conclusion, you can't "play" the cartridge either, so you might as well emulate.

I think the reason that people feel so strongly is that they are trying to authentically recreate a time and feeling they had in the past. Even if the replacement is perfect, they will still know it isn't authentic, and it will cheapen the experience. Collecting is tied strongly to nostalgia, and the feelings that go along with that are what make it important.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:38:29 AM by Duke.Togo » Logged

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 12:50:21 AM »

I think the controversy here is difference between restoring and refinishing an item. Restoring would involving bringing something back to its original condition; whereas refinishing means touching up something that may or may not be in bad shape, it just looks bad to the person. It depends on the piece so restoring can benefit value or ruin it. Refinishing more often than not take away from value.

Guitars, furniture, signs, and cars all benefit from restoration. But once again, the craftsmanship has to be excellent.

Let's say a vintage car was refinished to a colour it didn't original come in (ie. an electric blue Model T Ford). It may looks super cool, but isn't as valuable and sought after as a black one.

Yes, I had a serious thought and did some research into this topic.

@Duke, I really like visually appealing things so the look matters to me. I try to keep my bass guitars in spotless condition too.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length