RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:31:21 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Do you replay games for fun? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you replay games for fun?  (Read 4603 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »

Forget achievements and completion percentages.  How many people out there fire up current gen stuff (or within 2-3 year old games) that you have already played and finished and replay it a few months or years down the line just because you love the game?

I ask because I sometimes find myself deciding which game to play from a list of games I haven't completed.  It's great to play and complete games but sometimes, I just want to fire up something I already finished and play it again for a bit.  No achievements or 100% quest, just play it to play it.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »

If it was fun and it's easy to revisit areas of a game I totally will. Some games though definitely feel one and done. The achievement stuff makes it even more easy to just feel burnt out after completing a game and never wanting to look at it again.

When shall his new form be revealed?
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »

If it was fun and it's easy to revisit areas of a game I totally will. Some games though definitely feel one and done. The achievement stuff makes it even more easy to just feel burnt out after completing a game and never wanting to look at it again.

I definitely get the burnt out feeling with certain achievements.  As soon as I feel that, I'm pretty much done.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

Castle Crashers. Fire that up all the time with mixed company and play through another character I haven't finished it with yet.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »

Every summer I play through the original Spyro trilogy, I have those games memorized so much that I can do the whole series in a week. Then I move onto Tomba! I only ever rented the second one and beat it once though, so I'll have to add that to my to do list. Not current gen games but I don't really replay too many of them.

One of my buddies regularly replays Demon and Dark Souls as well as the Xbox Ninja Gaidens.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »

I tend to replay at least one RPG a year- this year I replayed Persona 4, but Final Fantasy VIII and X get replayed often.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »

The only current gen game I've put meaningful time into after getting all trophies are the Batman: Arkham games.  Other than that, I usually replay Pokemon Snap from beginning to end at least once a year.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »

It all depends. I've replayed the Pokémon games...almost all of the main RPGs...once a year. I've gone through the latest entry in the Fire Emblem series twice in it's first three months. Lately, not much else, but back in the day, I used to beat games 10-15 times or more. I beat Final Fantasy II and III on the SNES at least 30 times each.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »

Yes, sometimes a lot. I wound up playing through the main story of Resident Evil 4 three times in a tow(once to unlock the Tommy Gun and Infinite launcher, again to to get up the money to buy them and get a save slot with supped up normal weapons going, and a third time to speed run it with both and see how fast I could tear through with them)

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:05:14 AM »

I'm not very fond of the Trophy/Achievment pointless crap,I'm not fucking 5 years old where I need a sticker to tell me good job. I always played for fun. Always will. I always felt like something was accomplished when you beat a tough task or a tough game or simply beat a game.  I re-play about everything I have just because I enjoy it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:07:22 AM by Ryudo » Logged
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 06:55:50 AM »

Sometimes a game will blow me away so much I just play through it over again right then and there. This happened to me with Mass Effect and Dead Rising 2.

I do revisit my all-time favorites every couple of years. I know Metal Gear Solid by heart, for one example.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »

I am a 5 year old who needs a sticker to tell me good job so i put thousands and thousands of hours into playing games that i never would have or playing them in ways i never would have.

The only current gen games i went back to for fun were:
Borderlands - replayed the US version several times with friends(to help them get achievements) i maxed out all the in game challenges. Played the japanese version and all DLC again for achievements (was the biggest driving factor in me buying a JP 360)

Pac-man CE DX - liked the XBLA release so i repurchased it several times so i could replay for more achievements.

50 Cent Blood on the Sand  - was a much better game than expected. Another one i technically didn't replay for fun since i got new achievements by playing another regions version.

Probably because with achievements i spend as much or more time playing them as i would have without them.

I can't remember many PS2 or Xbox games i went back to for fun after finishing them either. Probably because the games i really enjoyed and regularly went back to i hadn't finished and/or they were games like Halo 2 where the online component technically meant you were never done.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »

The only games I play just for fun are Pac-Man CE DX and my Ms. Pac-man arcade game.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »

Mostly Zelda and 007 games.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »

i replay lots of older games, but if we're just talking new(ish) games here, then Journey, Resistance 3, Call of Duty Modern Warfare (1 and 2), The Last Of Us, Final Fantasy XIII indirectly (got a friend to play it through after i beat it, i've been watching him play through most of it). Heavy Rain i'll definitely go through again at some point. so many good ones
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length