RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 01:14:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Finding that one, exceptionally rare game? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Finding that one, exceptionally rare game?  (Read 1544 times)
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« on: October 23, 2013, 04:57:41 AM »

Okay, here's the deal: I've been looking for a Jaguar Game called Towers II for a LONG time. It's "Very Rare" according to Atari Age's Rarity Guide. That being said, when you guys are hunting for a rare game (We ARE Collectors, after all), what do you do to find it? What are your helpful hints for finding rare games?

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »

For system that sold very little it is pure luck unless you use the web.

Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »

Small numbers, out of production, hard to find even when new?  I'll stalk it on eBay for months and months, waiting for it to hit a major price downswing. 

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »

Use the internet. Finding things like that in the wild is dumb luck. Literally, the best "tip" is that you need to search everywhere, all the time - thrifts, collectible stores, game conventions, flea markets. Get to know the owners at smaller collectible stores. They're the people most likely to know other major collectors/sellers, and start asking around for whatever you're looking for.

Even with all that work, you're more than likely going to just end up waiting on an eBay auction and going to battle with everyone else and hope that you have the budget for it.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »

For the ultra obscure, eBay may be your only reasonable option. Outside of that, just communicate as much as possible with people. Post want to buy threads on multiple boards and do your allotted bumps regularly. Build relationships with local shop workers so they will watch out for you as well. Unless you are ready to drop big cash to make things happen quickly, it's just a matter of pure persistence.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »

For the ultra obscure, eBay may be your only reasonable option. Outside of that, just communicate as much as possible with people. Post want to buy threads on multiple boards and do your allotted bumps regularly. Build relationships with local shop workers so they will watch out for you as well. Unless you are ready to drop big cash to make things happen quickly, it's just a matter of pure persistence.

Even with pure persistence, with something rare, 99% of the time it will still take big cash to acquire.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »

Pure luck, I've had trouble hunting down even some dirt common games(Buster Busts Loose for example, it's a R1 according to DG) that I wanted to get back from when I was a kid. I don't even have all the SNES Mario games yet as long as I've been piecing my collection back together.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Dergatron9000
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »

Things like that I would goto all the retro game forums you can find and post a wtb thread. Maybe goto sites like this creep on peoples collections and pm them asking if they want to part with it haha.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:27:11 AM by Dergatron9000 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length