RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2024, 07:29:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Gaming Diary: Chapter 2 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 134 Print
Author Topic: The Gaming Diary: Chapter 2  (Read 217184 times)
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #960 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »

Kind of...acquired Rome II just to see if I could run it.

It is REALLY FREAKING BAD. Like I remember Empire being a piece of work on release, but this is a freaking mess. It looks worse than Medieval 2 and doesn't run on my laptop above 25 FPS NO MATTER WHAT SETTING I PUT IT ON. I was about to allow that my laptop just wasn't up to it, looking at how it looked and ran on low, but I cranked up the settings just to see and there was hardly a change unless I zoomed in all the way.

Can't believe they didn't just delay release, I guess they wanted to get it out before GTA 5, but there was a lot of hype about this game, and now with the bugs and the utterly lackluster base game (granted that they usually are ALL shitty until the modders get ahold of them) they're liable to lose big on their next one.

If it runs at the same FPS on all settings, that just sounds like poor optimization from the developer, never mind a RTS running poor on ANYTHING not horrifically outdated is bad.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #961 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »

Just talked to a co-worker, and he said that it'll scale based on your hardware even at the higher settings. He's seen it cranked up higher and it looks gorgeous.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #962 on: September 05, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »

Empire is terribly optimized still to this day. Shogun 2 is newer and has less strict requirements, it runs like melted butter on my PC. I've never had a problem with Medieval 2 but I mostly play mods like Last Kingdom, Roma Surrectum, and Third Age anymore since I broke the vanilla campaigns long ago.

I love Rome 1 still but I don't play Barbarian Invasion since its so easy to break barbarian sieges with a couple archers on the walls and one cav unit to kite.

I always worry that Sega tries to rush CA, its so obvious to find the rushed titles. I remember reading the devs were doing less hard coding to make Rome 2 more mod friendly so in a few years there could be a lot of fun mods to play, or updated Medieval 2 mods.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:38:05 PM by SirPsycho » Logged

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #963 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »

We have a new PC. So with that HUGE backlog of PC games to play and more processing power than all of Zag's TI collection combined, what have I been playing?

Urban Terror.

I actually haven't been doing too bad for not playing a fps seriously since the first Halo was current. Mostly I've been shooting bots but there are some real people in there too. I'm surprised they aren't super good, I thought if an online game had been out for more than a few months, the only people left playing were in there 20 hours a day.

Actually I'm just playing this for practice as techwizard said we should play Battlefront II. I've got to at least be good enough to not look like a total noob.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #964 on: September 05, 2013, 09:57:28 PM »

Word of advice for those playing older PC games on newer systems. If you run into artifacting (Starcraft and Age of Empires 2 are bad culprits) then kill explorer.exe and it should fix things like red water and rainbow grass.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #965 on: September 05, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »

This isn't my screenshot, but on low it looks like this occasionally.

It's like NES graphics...

I'm just reinstalling Medieval 2, gonna try some mods while I wait for patches.

* RomeIInowonatari.jpg (183.24 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 50 times.)

When shall his new form be revealed?
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #966 on: September 06, 2013, 12:23:41 AM »

i'll stick with age of empires II, so much disappointment from those RTS
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #967 on: September 06, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (360) - Starting Act 5.

JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #968 on: September 06, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »

Can't remember if I noted this or not, but I'm giving Saints Row 3 another try. I'm sorry, I just can't get over how bad the games controls are, but I'm going to push through on the assumption that I'll adapt to them eventually.

My partner has been playing a lot of The Cave. I've had it sitting on my harddrive since PSN+ gave it to me months ago. After seeing him play it, I can't say I'm particularly interested in playing it myself.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #969 on: September 06, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »

Still in my Rome II is broken funk, I've been casting about looking for alternatives. Wasn't really feeling ME2.

I found this game called Hegemony: Wars of Ancient Greece, and it's actually alright.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #970 on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »

Viva Piñata (G4W) - Still tinkering around with my garden.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #971 on: September 07, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »

Played a lil' Mount and Blade: Warband Napoleon thingy multiplayer. It's pretty fun, minus the fact that muskets are hard to aim and I haven't gotten stabbing with a bayonet down yet.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #972 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »

Started a fresh game on Dark Souls last week. I already hate myself for it.

Playing this one on the PC version. Since I lost all my HDD data when my first PS3 YLODd, and I recently got a new laptop, I figured I might as well try something new. With the DSfix graphics hack installed the game looks GORGEOUS.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #973 on: September 07, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

Bureau, The: XCOM Declassified: So far it's Brother's in X-Com but that is not a bad thing.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #974 on: September 07, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Been playing Dark Souls as well on NG+. Only have one boss which is Seath the Scaleless, before I go on to fight the final boss.  Trying to get all Rare weapons trophy, which I have only one left which is the weapon I get from cutting of Seath the Scaleless' Tail.

I think after I finish this playthrough I am going to pick up the Artorias of the Abyss content.

Thinking about Picking up Madden 25 just for some casual gaming

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length