RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2024, 05:19:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Modern Community Playthrough - Fragile Dreams 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: October Modern Community Playthrough - Fragile Dreams  (Read 24057 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »

Yeah, I like to take my time and search out all the rooms and corridors throughout the game. I probably did more boss battles than usual, but I suppose it can only benefit me later.

If you are a completionist, you might want to check out this site:
Spoiler (hover to show)

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »

Well, I was finally able to get started tonight. I'm about an hour and a half in. I stopped right after beating the pack of dogs. My bamboo sword broke. Hope I get something better soon. I guess the weapons breaking kind of eliminates grinding a bit?

I love PF.

The light mechanics are a little wonky at times but the combat is not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be based on what I'd read. I like that you can hold the WiiMote up to listen to PF.

Kind of wish the subtitles could be turned off.

The game is really good so far, it's like Tales meets Silent Hill with a dash of Alan Wake. I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow night.

Oh I also like that the save points are all two feet away from each other, I hope it stays like that.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »

I just got the key to the mall from the ghost girl and I'm only level 2. I did avoid some battles, especially the dogs in the subway.

Am I far behind and under leveled?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
ericeskapade
DB Contributor
Germany

Stats
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 05:01:47 AM »

Well, I was finally able to get started tonight. I'm about an hour and a half in. I stopped right after beating the pack of dogs. My bamboo sword broke. Hope I get something better soon. I guess the weapons breaking kind of eliminates grinding a bit?

I love PF.

The light mechanics are a little wonky at times but the combat is not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be based on what I'd read. I like that you can hold the WiiMote up to listen to PF.

Kind of wish the subtitles could be turned off.

The game is really good so far, it's like Tales meets Silent Hill with a dash of Alan Wake. I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow night.

Oh I also like that the save points are all two feet away from each other, I hope it stays like that.

Because of the weapons breaking, i had 2nd and 3rd weapons in my "inventory", which was sometimes so full, i couldn't pick up some finds anymore Sad

Nice comparision to the mix of the three other games Grayghost81.

In PAL-Version the subtitles can be turned off in the Start-Screen> Options.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:04:34 AM by ericeskapade » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »

Yeah, the weapons breaking is very annoying and something I would probably change in the game. I do like the concept of limited inventory in terms of making the game more realistic, but the many different shaped and mystery items don't really allow you to pick up enough or determine what to throw away. Only being able to view some items at the campfire is kind of silly, since you have a flashlight. I know that some are happy with the save points and yes, there are many, but there are too many for my taste. I put in another 3 hours last night and it seems that the save points are a little better spread out later. Perhaps this is an initial feature to help people get use to the game. The merchant is a little annoying; wish you could just choose when he visits.

I know I am sounding fairly negative, but just pointing out some things I would change about the game. I am still really enjoying this game 6+ hours in and am captivated by the storyline. The memory items are a very nice touch.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »

I agree with all those points, except for the breaking weapons. I like that feature. Adds a bit of a sense of consequence to your actions. For example if weapons didn't break you could run around fighting enemies like it's nothing and leveling up super fast.

The merchant reminds me of Les Claypool.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

Couldn't quite make myself get to the checkpoint. Got to the part with the crumbling floors and had to call it a night.

Is the merchant showing up random or are there conditions? I've only seen him once and I'm on my last bamboo sword.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »

Is the merchant showing up random or are there conditions? I've only seen him once and I'm on my last bamboo sword.

He's showing up fairly often for me. Probably because I don't have any money.

ericeskapade
DB Contributor
Germany

Stats
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »

My feeling was the merchant would come up, every 2nd time i got to a bonfire. What's with playing with the cats (if it doesn't spoiler anything)? did something special happen to anyone of you, because i didn't notice anything? Maybe it's just a virtual substitute gimmick for the real-life cathair-allergics...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:33:53 PM by ericeskapade » Logged
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 05:37:53 AM »

I couldn't figure out the cat thing either, I got the cat toy but I couldn't get any cats to do anything about it, despite trying on multiple ones.

Eric, I checked out the options menu and there is in fact an option to turn off subtitles. Thank you.

I wonder if going to the same bonfire over and over again until that chicken-headed creep shows up would work. I really need a weapon.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 05:41:55 AM »

Yeah, continuing to go to the campfire should work. I just wish there was some sort of option to visit him each time you go to the campfire. Those cut scenes with him get a bit redundant. I haven't figured any thing out regarding the cats yet either...

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

Yeah, continuing to go to the campfire should work.

Confirmed. It does work.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

Hit the first checkpoint. Level 7. Now that I know I can 'make' the merchant show up I suppose a little grinding actually is possible.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »

Check my progress after the first check point. I was at lvl 12.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »

So based on our conversations about the levels at the first checkpoint, where I was only level 7 with about 8,000 yen and you guys were all at least level 10 or more, I felt I needed to get up early today and have a little grind session...

[img width=256 height=260]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Grind_Session_Coverart.png[/img]

No, not that kind of grind session.

After thoroughly exploring the first section of the amusement park I discovered a pretty nice loop for grinding. From the first bonfire, I went up the stairs and hung a right to the grassy area with the two rides. There I killed the three pants ghosts and the three dogs and looped back around to the bonfire to save, stash or sell items (the pants ghosts dropped a lot of waters, not only a strong healing item but a great sell to old chicken-head at 6000¥ each).

I really got carried away at this point. I kept telling myself that I would stop at x level or when this or that weapon broke. After a two hour session I am now at:

Level 19 with 111,780¥ not to mention five waters in the briefcase.

Now before ya'll say anything I understand this was a tad pointless. The level cap is 35 and the game is 12 hours long for crying out loud. Like I said, I just got caught in a loop and couldn't stop myself. I do feel like I tightened up my combat skills a little too, for what that's worth.

Anyway, time to find that punkass Crow.

Oh yeah, the second checkpoint is up. Thanks again, SingleBanana!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length