RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2024, 02:20:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Rest in peace Yamauchi Hiroshi 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rest in peace Yamauchi Hiroshi  (Read 3145 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »

The legendary leader of Nintendo passed away this morning of pneumonia. We all know what he has done for the video game world. Without him many or perhaps most of our gaming memories would cease to be or exist in a vastly different manner. May his legacy never die.

http://techland.time.com/...oshi-yamauchi-dead-at-85/

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »

O no! That is horrible. His spirit and memory will love on though.

Now your playing with power!
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »

50 years as president, wow! what a legacy, he will be missed.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »

Rest in peace Hiroshi Yamauchi.
Know that your legacy will live on forever.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »

Such an incredible business man. We owe him a lot of respect for his ability to cultivate and motivate talented people.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »

Sad times on planet earth.

When shall his new form be revealed?
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

The guy had a very interesting way of doing things back then. We owe him a lot. Never forget.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

Such a shame.  Without his personality and drive we certainly wouldn't be having nearly as much fun as we are now.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »

O no! That is horrible.

It's hardly horrible. An old man died. it happens all the time.

Old people regularly die like this. They go into hospital for something minor, say a bladder infection or a broken arm, often in reasonable health. Then they contract pneumonia in the hospital. Then they die because of that.

Not saying the guy hasn't been huge in the history of video games. He has. But it's not as if he died at the age of 40 or something. Wink
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »

.He oversaw the transition from a card company to a love hotels to a taxi service to a toy company and finally a Video game Company. He is also the one who took a young hired cabinet painter in the company and asked him if he had any ideas on a new type of game. That man went to create Mario,Zelda Donkey Kong and more. The man was arrogant and even shunned his family plus made many mistakes however without him the industry be a very very different place. RIP
Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »

Frankly, if there had not been a Nintendo Entertainment System, would there even be a video game console industry today?  I dare say that someone would have tried to spark the embers since the '83 crash, but without Mario or Zelda where would we really be? 

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

Frankly, if there had not been a Nintendo Entertainment System, would there even be a video game console industry today?  I dare say that someone would have tried to spark the embers since the '83 crash, but without Mario or Zelda where would we really be? 

We would have come out of the Crash, but I think it would have taken far longer, and it would have been more out of nostalgia.  Nothing but point-oriented games play badly translated from the arcade.  Arcades might have spent more time around though.

Oddly enough, I think a good chunk of PC gaming would have survived as it was, but wouldn't have been influenced by the console action and platforming gaming on the early nineties and the "console-ification" of the '00s.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »

Given that the crash was essentially limited to the NA market with both the Famicom and Sega Mark 1000 coming out in 1983 itself I would say our most beloved gaming mascots would probably be Alex Kidd and Sonic. With no NES there is no SNES. With no SNES there is no CDi (does anybody really care?) and no Playstation (dear god...)

Maybe there could have been a stronger Neo Geo CD? The Saturn dominates instead of being the forgotten Sega console popular among importers? No death of Sega could mean no or limited Microsoft?

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »

I think no Nintendo in the console biz would have lead the US market to more closely resemble Europe, being heavily dominated by computers and a fair showing from SEGA. This was already the trend after the crash until the NES showed up, but who really knows? I'm just glad that he made Nintendo into what it is.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length