RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2024, 09:15:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Side by Side Playthroughs 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Would you like to have two Community Playthroughs each month?
Yes   -10 (90.9%)
No   -1 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Side by Side Playthroughs  (Read 2158 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »

The current set up for RFGen's Community Playthrough is to alternate between classic and modern games each, but I was recently approached with a very interesting proposal.

Singlebanana suggested the possibility of running two Community Playthroughs each month so as not to exclude the more retro-focused collectors. One classic and one modern running side by side. I want to know what you, RFGen-ers, think of this idea.

Classic games would be anything from Atari era all the way to N64/PS1. Since older games are short for the most part two or more games may be played each month (like our Disney playthrough). Modern games would include anything from the GameCube onward and would perhaps only be one game per month.

So, share your thoughts, cast your votes. This is all up to you guys.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »

I'm definitely for it.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »

Sounds good to me.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »

Cool! Happy to see positive reactions.

What do you guys think would be good names for these. Banana suggests RFGen Retro Replay for the classic games, which I like. What's a good monicker for the modern playthroughs?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »

Yeah, Fleach and I have been kicking some great ideas around together. As I mentioned in my post on the Ducktales playthough (front page), I've felt kind of left out some months because I don't own any of the more modern systems. I don't know if this is the case with others, but I assume it could be. This way, people have an option of choosing which playthrough they want to participate in, or if they are up to it, they can do both. If we get a good response, I'd like to share Fleach and I's ideas (and others that may surface here) with the staff and see what they think.  If you're adverse to or for the idea, please let us know why (you are welcome to PM me if you prefer) because all feedback whether positive or negative is important.

The retro playthrough would basically be run the same way as the current playthrough, and both could play off of each other well in terms of sharing ideas (themes, methods of achievements, contests, etc.).

I think one of the more recent names we also came up with were "RFGen Retro WePlay" and "RFGen Recent WePlay". Kind of playing the playthroughs off each other. Thoughts? Manipulations?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:26:09 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »

I'd be more for the modern stuff. Don't actually have any of my older stuff at this apartment and I'm not a huge fan of emulating.

When shall his new form be revealed?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »

Understood. The point was never to take the modern playthrough away. Only add a retro playthrough each month as well. You can play either one you want, or even both.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

I like the idea, at least it adds more variety to suit tastes/moods. I know I have been focusing almost exclusively with working through my modern backlog when I can.

As I mentioned in my post on the Ducktales playthough (front page), I've felt kind of left out some months because I don't own any of the more modern systems.

Don't worry Banana, we don't want to leave you out. Watch out for the upcoming Space Invaders Spoilercast we'll be doing soon! Wink

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

I (essentially) don't own any of the classics any more and like Leon am not a huge emulation kind of guy (even though i have hundreds of gigs of roms floating around on old harddrives).

I would be game for a tandem community play thrus.

Chances are i still wouldn't be able to participate much but it might drive me to play games i own and haven't started yet.

I have plenty of supposedly AAA titles i still haven't opened or played (Mass Effects, Assassins Creeds, Bioshocks, Borderlands 2, Arkham Asylum/City, etc, etc)

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »

I want to add that Modern playthrough games will chosen by a voting process. It works in politics, right? Sort of? My goal is get the community involved as much as possible.

The achievement system will remain, and the highest achiever will still have a say in the selection of the next game (via a candidate to vote for) and could even host the following playthrough.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »

i really like this idea, not only for giving retro gamers a way to participate, but also for anyone that doesn't own the particular game being played at the time. 2 separate playthroughs give more choice and more likely that we won't have to go out and buy the game just to participate.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

Don't worry Banana, we don't want to leave you out. Watch out for the upcoming Space Invaders Spoilercast we'll be doing soon! Wink

Will you be discussing the Space Invaders pinball machine?? Either way, sounds great and really looking forward to it.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 08:25:39 AM »

I'm still all for the retro playthrough, even though I never finished Super Mario RPG.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »

I'm still all for the retro playthrough, even though I never finished Super Mario RPG.

You've got until midnight tonight to finish the game. Don't worry, finish at your own pace. Your participation is enough. Hope you had fun.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length