RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 01:47:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Ouya vs Retron 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ouya vs Retron  (Read 2374 times)
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »

I'm trying to decide between a Retron 5 with HDMI output and an Ouya running emulators for some fun retro gamming on a HD tv.
The point behind it, is that I want to make a wall mount system for displaying the original consoles without all of the cables required for operation, while still enjoying the games.
I believe the Ouya has more support for obscure consoles but the retron has support for the original controllers, both are really important features for me.
What would you guys pick? Is there another option that I haven't thought of?

No matter where you go, there you are.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »

Even though I have all the consoles, I will still get a Retron5 just for the ease of use, and to save wear and tear on original hardware. The controller support is very important for me, and the OUYA controller is pretty terrible from what I hear.

Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »

I had heard about the controller being horrible too. I was planning on using a PS3 controller instead. Using the original controllers is a big plus though.  If the retron added n64 and early cd support it would be a no brainer.  The collector bug in me is telling me to get both. Tough decision.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »

Go Ouya for now.
Retron is going to have a newer bigger badder model down the line.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »

Retron 5 is out and where can you get one. I can't find where to get one online
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »

Get a PSP go.  Support for a PS3 controller, component output, and pretty much any emulator before N64/PS2 runs perfectly.  I bought mine from GameStop for $50 and love it.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »

Retron 5 is out and where can you get one. I can't find where to get one online

It's not out yet. Supposed to hit later this year.

Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »

I have a PSP 2000 thats loaded with emulators that's great for on go gaming, never tried it on an HDTV though I didn't think that was possible, do you have to use the PSP itself as the controller then? That seems like a lot of wires.
 Is the ability to use a PS3 controller unique to the PSP Go?

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »

Not that I own, or have played with either, but between the Ouya and Retron, I would choose the.......Oculus Rift.

Oh, wait, thats not what you were asking  Cheesy

Personally, between the two, I would want the Retron first. I have all the consoles it represents but it would allow for
Quote from: Duke.Togo
....the ease of use, and to save wear and tear on original hardware. The controller support is very important for me....
I like that it could also be easily picked up and taken to another location, ie friends house, and have most of what it's like to play on original hardware. Controllers and carts but with HDMI.

This is not to downplay the Ouya, I actually think of them as filling two different niches. The Ouya has it's strengths, and I would like to own one, but between the two Retron is my first vote.
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »

I'm very interested in the Occulus Rift myself! That is one impressive piece of kit!

I'm starting to give more weight to using the original controllers, its just that I wish the retron supported more systems that I own such as the TG16 and the N64 as well as some of the CD based ones like the Sega CD, TGCD, and Saturn, and hopefully a NeoGeo MVS. Unfortunately, I think those systems are too obscure and difficult to emulate effectively for them to be added anytime soon. That's what makes the Ouya so darn tempting, but I guess I could use a PC but that sounds like too much "fiddlin'"

I think I am leaning towards the Retron so far though.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

how is this a discussion? Retron 5 + legit carts and controllers.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

I have a PSP 2000 thats loaded with emulators that's great for on go gaming, never tried it on an HDTV though I didn't think that was possible, do you have to use the PSP itself as the controller then? That seems like a lot of wires.
 Is the ability to use a PS3 controller unique to the PSP Go?

PS3 controller support is unique to the Go for some reason.  All you need to connect is a component out cable that costs a couple bucks on Amazon.  If you want to charge the system while outputting video, you'll need the PSP Go cradle.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

You can with Vita as well by remote.
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »

I think I'm sold on the Retron, I wouldn't mind having a Vita, but I'm gonna wait on that for a while.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length