RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 11:16:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Working at a Video Game Store...... 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Working at a Video Game Store......  (Read 1822 times)
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »

Wanted to share with you guys that I just got a job working at a local retro game store in CT called, Retro Games Plus. The owner Kris has a store in Wesport about 40mins from me. I went there a bunch of times and became good friends with him. I'm a manager at a movie theater in the town he lives so I always hook his family up with FREE movies. Ha. I also helped promote his one year anniversary of the store by bring mine and my girls cars down to show off

So now that he is opening a second location a town over from me I told him I wouldn't mind working 2 or 3 days a week. I already work about 5 days at the movies and 4 at Stop and Shop in the Bake shop but could use the extra money to help save for the wedding and gaming cost ha. Most of what I make will go back to him in the long run.

Any ways was curious if anyone else had some experience working a local gaming store and if they liked it.
I spent yesterday just pricing games and putting them in alphabetic order, but still fun. Got to listen to music and see some games I haven't come across and get a kick out of how many copies of one game you can have.

Now your playing with power!
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »

Congratulations, looks like good karma paid off.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

I've never worked at a game store myself. I did work retail in a bookstore many, many years ago, and for the most part enjoyed it. Enjoy stacking all of those amazing Silent Service carts...

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

Working? No. Getting employees fired? Oh god yes.
Rule #1: Treat your customer as a human being.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

Think I've got a running total of over 30 now for Gamestop employees that I've gotten fired. Don't ignore your customers, don't force your opinions on them, and don't treat women like tools and you'll do fine. They see my wife and she starts asking about games, and most of the time she puts them in their place and I have to call over the manager. IF SOMEONE ASKS ABOUT A PARTICULAR GAME, THEY MIGHT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR.

*mutters something about underpaid, ignorant people*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:38:07 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:02:42 AM »

Yeah Gamestop from 2006-2007 as a 3rd key manager. I could tell stories for a few books in that short time but let's just put it this way. Castration would be more fun than going back there and boycotted them since.
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »

I worked for Ebgames from 03-05ish then changed over the gamestop from 05-08. yep 5 years of working as a 3rd key  cashier seasonal then i dont know what i was but it was like a floating employee who just walked in and worked when i felt like walking in.  The stories freebees and cool finds i could tell you about.

Then again the store got closed and due to the other key holders drinking and breaking some stuff we all got black listed cause they couldnt prove who blew up the PS2 and GameCubes. I could only  imagine the managers face to open up a game cube and smell fire  gas and see a pile of melted plastic .

I would welcome a chance to work in a retro game store. But the policies and demands of gamestop i could never do again. Harassing the customers to buy  subscriptions and promotions that everyone and their mother knows the customers dont want is not good salesmanship. and being yelled at when you dont do that is just wrong.

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »

Some good stories there ha. I hope nothing like that happens here.
Well looks like I impressed the owner Kris with all my ideas for the store and love for games because he ask be to be a manager for the store.
Totally excited and can't wait till we open. I have plenty of ideas for the store to help sets apart from Other stores.

Now your playing with power!
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »

Congratulations! Sounds like you're going to have loads of fun.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length