RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 02:34:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Your thoughts on collecting imports 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your thoughts on collecting imports  (Read 2489 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« on: July 04, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »

I own a Super Famicom (which I bought strictly for Seiken Densetsu 3) and an SNES (with a pretty good collection of games)

I have a rough list of about 40 more SNES games that I would like to own. My question is - is it cheesy to get these games on Super Famicom?

Personally, I think it's a little cheesy, but I'm going to do it anyway because I don't have a lot of money to spend on games and Super Famicom games seem to be a little cheaper.

A quick example - Mega Man X3 on eBay is about $100-$125. Rock Man X3 is $35.

I'm not going to do this for games like Final Fantasy II, but for a game like Mega Man X3 - or Super Mario Kart JP which
I also own - where knowing Japanese is not necessary I'm going to do it, despite me thinking it's slightly lame.

Does anyone else practice this method of collecting games? Is it a collecting no-no? Is it normal? Does it really matter?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »

Doesn't really matter to me. Cheaper the better, right?

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »

I have a handful of imports almost as a novelty. I have a few Super Famicom games but I haven't ever gotten imports as cheaper alternative to the NTSC version. Of course, that is a great idea like you said for budgetary reasons. Plus there's something just sexy and exotic about those old, differently shaped cartridges with Japanese writing on them.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

I've got a handful of imports, most of them are exclusive though and pertain to my main series of focus, Suikoden.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

i only go for imports if it's exclusive or there's something special about it (like cool box art). for saving money though that would be a really good way to collect cheaply.
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »

Its really all a matter of intent;

The topic mentions 'collecting imports,' which to me would imply collecting a system's library for a territory not native to you (i.e. a Sega Saturn JP library, as opposed to NA) but it seems you are asking more about simply owning a title or a few specific titles.

If you intend on, say, a 'complete' library of North America Super Nintendo Games, then of course buying a cheaper import version of the NA game instead of your domestic copy 'doesn't count.'  At least, not toward 'collecting,' as it were. 

But as in all things gaming, what really matters is whether or not you are having fun; if you want a copy to play, I wouldn't let any artificial barriers prevent you from getting a cheaper version of the same (equivalent) game.  If its more about you wanting to play it, by all means use the best method possible.

If you're more into the 'collection' as a whole, perhaps a cheaper import would make a good 'placeholder' until you fall into a good bargain for the domestic copy.  If you are mostly a collector, and only intend on buying once, there's no real reason to spend money on something you don't really want or need for the library you are focusing on.

For over a decade, I was only really interested in shooting for NA releases, with the occasional import for curiosity.  But over the years I've gotten more into imports because of a variety of reasons, including:

Superior Versions (waiting on my Famicom Castlevania 3 now that I have a Famicom)

Only digital versions are domestically available, versus physical copies in other regions (PS3 Monkey Island SE Compilation, PS3 Vampire Resurrection)

Unavailable domestically (Famicom Uchuu Keibitai SDF, PS2 Akira Psycho Pinball)

I've also really gotten into Repros lately, although I don't really consider them 'offical' collection pieces.

Something I recently discovered; Amazon is a surprisingly worthwhile site for importing, though you can use sellers like Play-Asia and eBay.  I've had a really good run of success with Amazon lately concerning price, availability, and condition.  I've had to slap my hand from ordering more XBox 360 region free import shmups, and I've found some famicom and super famicom singles for good prices.

If you are truly looking to collect import libraries, you should look into picking up some bulk lots of games and trade out the doubles; its often the cheapest way to amass a good sized library.

Keelah se'lai
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:49:48 AM »

Does anyone else practice this method of collecting games?

I sometimes buy US imports for PS (and eventually SNES), either because it's substantially cheaper than PAL (Legend of the Dragoon) or unavailable in PAL (Xenogears,Chrono Cross).  I do buy other imports but hardware/language barriers mean I don't buy them for play.

Is it a collecting no-no? Is it normal?

Judging by the auction sites I use, I'd say it's fairly normal.  Games that require minimal Japanese knowledge (Mario, Megaman, fighters, shmups) seem to have higher base prices beyond brand recognition.

Does it really matter?

As a gamer, no, but I find a good rule of thumb is to consider regions as separate collections, as it can get convoluted otherwise.  Using well-known RPGs as an example: PAL Final Fantasy X is different from the US & JP versions, JP Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is different from the US version and Final Fantasy Anthology is a different compilation in PAL than the US.
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:55 AM »

I've picked up a few imports for a few different reasons.

1.  Because it's super-cheap.  I picked up Front Mission and Front Mission Gun Hazard together for $8 shipped because why not, Front Mission.
2.  It fills in a blank.  Rockman & Forte is a good example.  Since I already had the US SNES Mega Man set, this was an obvious buy.
3.  It's a novelty/I like the art.  I have a boxed JP Chrono Trigger because it was very affordable and I like the US game and just liked the box.

It also depends on if a system is region-locked or if it's easy to get the system to play it.  Like the odds I'd buy an import PS2 game at any price are pretty much zero.  The odds I'd buy an import PSP game at a great price are very high.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:44:57 AM by Slowman » Logged

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

If you intend on, say, a 'complete' library of North America Super Nintendo Games, then of course buying a cheaper import version of the NA game instead of your domestic copy 'doesn't count.'  At least, not toward 'collecting,' as it were. 

But as in all things gaming, what really matters is whether or not you are having fun; if you want a copy to play, I wouldn't let any artificial barriers prevent you from getting a cheaper version of the same (equivalent) game.  If its more about you wanting to play it, by all means use the best method possible.

If you're more into the 'collection' as a whole, perhaps a cheaper import would make a good 'placeholder' until you fall into a good bargain for the domestic copy.  If you are mostly a collector, and only intend on buying once, there's no real reason to spend money on something you don't really want or need for the library you are focusing on.

If you are truly looking to collect import libraries, you should look into picking up some bulk lots of games and trade out the doubles; its often the cheapest way to amass a good sized library.
My goal is to get EVERY game that I like and games that I've never played, but I hear are great. This is why the import route could work for me. Gun to my head, I'd much rather have the NA version of Mega Man X3 because it makes my SNES collection look more impressive. But there is no gun to my head and there would be about $100 extra in my pocket if I go JP. The ultimate goal is to play the game.

Bulk game lots are great. When I got my Seiken Densetsu 3 it came with Super Mario Kart, SFII Turbo, a pretty good wrestling game (Fire Pro?), one of the Twin Bee games, an RC Pro Am-style boating game (I think. I could never really figure it out), and an Anime RPG where I have to go to school and play slot machines (I have no idea)

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »

Most of my import collection (primarily Famicom and SFC) was from a few bulk lots I got from senseiman on Famicomworld.com before he closed up shop due to new job/moving.  He was awesome enough to make sure they weren't full of repeats or a bunch of filler titles like sports/mahjong/slots, so I ended up with some decent stuff.  Other than that I've bought some specific titles related to my interests, or they seemed interesting enough to collect.  My theory is collect what you like, and if it's cheap enough, take a chance on a bulk lot and see if there's anything in there you end up liking!
Dergatron9000
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »

I think its personal preference. I forsee the price of imports going up though if the new retron console is successful. So I'd say get em' while the gettins good
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length