RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 03:46:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July/August Community Playthrough: Super Mario RPG 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: July/August Community Playthrough: Super Mario RPG  (Read 67046 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »

Ok, played through to the first checkpoint.

I like the game so far. I've never played any of the Paper Marios but I have played Mario & Luigi on GBA so I have a little bit of experience with the button timing battle system, and it is really cool to see where it originated.

I think the pacing is actually ok. Even though you're not buzzing through the main story from the get-go, there are always little things happening.

One thing I love is the random power-ups you get during battle, like oh snap, FULL HP out of nowhere. That sure can come in handy at the right time.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »

I'm going to do a short test stream tonight, if it works I'll play through the first checkpoint tomorrow evening.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »

I got fireworks tomorrow so won't be able to watch blast. Ha. I'll be bring my 3Ds with me to the BBQ and fireworks. Fiancé won't be happy but that's ok.
Going to grind some more tonight on Mario RPG. Can't wait for it to really take off.

Now your playing with power!
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

I will also join the play-through Smiley never finished it before

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

Alright douglie! Nice to have you join.

I was considering posting the second checkpoint since the first one was kind of short, but since new people are joining everyday I'll wait until Sunday to post the update.

If anyone here has twitter and wants to share thoughts there feel free to and use the #CommunityPlaythrough so we can find each others tweets. Those who have Skype, if you'd like PM me your Skype handles and I'll add those to the Player List. It'd be great to chat to some people while playing the game.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:14:42 PM by Fleach » Logged

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »

I really wish I could join you guys, but it'd only be on the weekends and I'm trying to fill that time with work to get caught up on bills. I'd be more than happy to discuss the history behind the game, a lot of interesting gameplay tidbits and the decisions behind them, some of the programming quirks with the game... sucks when you know something inside and out, but have no channel to convey it.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »

Don't you have access to the spoiler tags?  You could use those or PM people who want to know more about the game.

Also, did anyone else get the Cricket Pie? Getting this item caught me by surprise... must be a side quest thing.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »

Don't you have access to the spoiler tags?  You could use those or PM people who want to know more about the game.

Also, did anyone else get the Cricket Pie? Getting this item caught me by surprise... must be a side quest thing.
I picked up the cricket pie. I don't know what it does. Haven't found the shell for a weapon yet. I don't really use twitter too much but ill tweet some stuff.

Now your playing with power!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »

Sorry guys, but I'm blowing past the checkpoints. I'm doing this because I've gotten bored with this game in the past and right now I'm really into it so I wanna keep the momentum.

I've gotten the Cricket Pie. I've also completed achievements 2, 3, 14.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »

That's fine Dezorian, I understand about maintaining the momentun. Just try not to spoil anything for those who may have fallen behind, or are sticking to the checkpoints.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »

I should probably get some more early achievements tossed in. Also, it looks like members by default don't have access to the spoiler tag, which seems silly (I don't have access as an RFG Friend). I'll ask if Izret can fix that.

Not to go into heavy details about it, but the Cricket Pie is a story item.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:51:12 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »

I should probably get some more early achievements tossed in. Also, it looks like members by default don't have access to the spoiler tag, which seems silly (I don't have access as an RFG Friend). I'll ask if Izret can fix that.

Not to go into heavy details about it, but the Cricket Pie is a story item.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Spoiler (hover to show)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »

The game is okay so far. I'm really not overly excited about the storyline at this point and still think it's quite vague. Don't get me wrong, I like storylines that develop as you move through the game (i.e. Crono Trigger), but Princess captured/Mario save her is a bit cliche and old. Hurry and save her, yet go on this side excursion to help someone else out before doing so. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the Wonder Pets continue to babble as a puppy drowns (those with kids know what the hell I'm talking about). 

Anyway, as much as I'm disappointed with the storyline so far, I'm still into playing the game. I find myself not wanting to skip enemies on each screen and instead, defeat them in hopes of grinding out some levels.

One thing I didn't pay attention to was the item purchasing screen. It seems that you can buy various items, but is there a way to know if your current character(s) can actually equip them before buying? I know many RPGs have this feature, but don't recall it on this one. 

UPDATE: Shadow, you were correct about Booster's Tower, the game is really beginning to get more interesting now. That's all I'll say of course, as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else.

The item shops do have a menu on the bottom left that lets you know who can use each item when your cursor is over a specific shop item. However, it does let you know whether or not this item is an upgrade/downgrade for each party member. That's a little annoying and has already caused me to have to sell back a few items. However, seeing that coins aren't hard to come by in this game, it's not really that big of a deal I guess.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »

Good to know. If you want to discuss events further in the game, feel free to use the spoiler tag.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »

I also completed achievements 2, 3, & 14 (maybe) last night. With #14, I think you have to keep coming back to finish off more of it, so I might not be done. I did 2 sequences though and updated my
Spoiler (hover to show)
. Some clarification for this goal would be great. Thanks!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length