RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 12, 2024, 11:42:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July/August Community Playthrough: Super Mario RPG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: July/August Community Playthrough: Super Mario RPG  (Read 67274 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

I'm just curious on a related note, how many people are playing on SNES and how many on VC or emulation?

I'm also curious: if you're using VC or an emulator are you saving only at the game's save points or utilizing save states?

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »

I'm playing on the VC, I picked up the SNES version less than a week ago at the thrifts. So even though I got the SNES cart I'm sticking to the VC version since I already started getting into it.

Can you even use save states on the VC version?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »

Sorry to hear that Fleach. I've been kind of worried about this myself as I am also playing off the cart, with my fingers crossed.

It was a real bummer when it happened to me. First the game froze, then, upon restarting two of the four saves were gone (mine and another from the previous owner). Turned off the console, turned it back on to find all saves were lost. Tragic.

It's fine to leave an SNES running for days - just hope you don't kick it or something else silly like that if your cart doesn't lock in.
Also, Wii VC works on WiiU VC.

I guess that's what I'll do. Gonna have to tip-toe through the game room for now.

If that's the case, be VERY careful not to pull the controller cord too far - it'll have the same effect. My SNES as a kid had trouble with the scoop-style carts not locking, and my cat would find it hilarious to rub up against it and crash the game to get my attention.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »

I haven't played one in a while, but doesn't it just freeze the game when you quit and is right in the same exact spot when you come back to it?

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »

I haven't played one in a while, but doesn't it just freeze the game when you quit and is right in the same exact spot when you come back to it?

I'm not sure how it acts on the Wii as I transfered everything to my Wii U but when playing it on the Wii U it will randomly save at any given point until you revert back to the Wii U menu or power the system down. Then you have to start at your last in game save point.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #200 on: July 17, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »

I'm not sure how it acts on the Wii as I transfered everything to my Wii U but when playing it on the Wii U it will randomly save at any given point until you revert back to the Wii U menu or power the system down. Then you have to start at your last in game save point.

Oh ok, if that were me I'd just play with the in-game save points.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

that really sucks fleach Sad you should invest in some bulk replacement save batteries. i picked up a bunch before starting link's awakening and replaced the battery in that before even starting my file, just to be safe. it's not too difficult to do, you just need a soldiering iron
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »

I haven't soldered since high school so I'd likely very rusty and do a sloppy job. Rather have an experienced person do it while I practice on cheap games.

This guy on Nintendo Age has a good reputation and offers an excellent battery holder conversion.
http://www.nintendoage.co...atid=6&threadid=31878

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »

I'm playing on my cart for snes. So far all the saves are there. I realized I borrowed this from a friend and he got it when it first came out. I remember watching him play it. His save files are still on there. I hope mine doesn't die.
One of my friends wants me to change a battery in a chrono trigger. I can solder so shouldn't be too bad.  I'm sure there is a write up on how to do it somewhere.

Now your playing with power!
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »

Gotta say that I've been on a losing streak with these Playthroughs lately. First my Model 1 Genesis has no power adapter, and my Model 2 has no RF or video adapter. Now this.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »

I hear ReddMcKnight does batteries as well...

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »

I didn't know that. Thanks Shadow.

The weirdest thing just happened. I'm playing the game to catch up and it's saving and holding my saves. Granted I'm only in Mario's Pad so I could run into trouble again. But is this not unusual for SNES carts to freeze and suddenly lose all save data but make and retain new saves? I still feel safer just not turning off the console even if everything seems to be OK right now.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »

It likely means your battery is either A) loose or B) having trouble holding a charge. However, as a kid, I had my saves get wiped before due to pulling the cart out while it was still running or various other negative things they tell you not to do, like shutting off the console while saving or it crashing while saving. Tongue

...I never had high hope for saves on SNES carts.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »

My game froze while I was equipping an item so I'm going to assume it's the battery. Like you said, it could be loose or having trouble holding its charge.

I've got my fingers crossed. Hopefully it was just a random hiccup and I'll get through the rest of the playthrough without trouble.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Just got the third star. That was the shortest one so far. Just buzzed through the mines and didn't really do anything in the pipe vault. See you next week! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length