RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:11:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Did you ever destroy a game by accident? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Did you ever destroy a game by accident?  (Read 5661 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

has anyone had any luck with resurfacing discs with toothpaste? I've heard folks swear this works. I'm not even sure I'd know what to do though.

I've heard many good things regarding the Coke/toothpaste method, though I've never tried it myself, though I watched a presentation by a kid in my public speaking class in '10 that swore by it.  It should be noted that I've only seen it done on music CDs and a couple of DVD movies, not games.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »

^that video made me want to throw up a little bit.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »

has anyone had any luck with resurfacing discs with toothpaste? I've heard folks swear this works. I'm not even sure I'd know what to do though.

I've heard many good things regarding the Coke/toothpaste method, though I've never tried it myself, though I watched a presentation by a kid in my public speaking class in '10 that swore by it.  It should be noted that I've only seen it done on music CDs and a couple of DVD movies, not games.

I want to know who decided it would be a good idea to smear toothpaste and peanut butter on a CD in the first place?

And that looks fine if you've only got one or two discs, but I'm sure we've all got way more than that. For what an actual disc buffing machine costs, they are completely worth the money. All that toothpaste, peanut butter, Coke, and baking soda has to add up over time.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »

I'm gonna mail my Walking Dead to a friend with a buffer I guess.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

I tried it on a copy of Battlefront 2 and it didn't work, but I'm not actually sure that scratches were why the game wasn't working, because it never worked to begin with.

Also threw Crash Bandicoot down a hallway once, it ricocheted off the walls a few times and flew into my parent's bedroom. I actually don't think it broke now that I think about it...

When shall his new form be revealed?
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »

i accidently dropped mario kart wii wheel bundle (the box) onto a shelving peg. i was trying to catch it as it fell and ended up just punching a whole through the back because of the peg it hit.
SlasherNES
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »

From what I have heard about this game, this is the best thing that could've happened to it! J/k, all kidding aside dude, that REALLY blows! It happens to the best of us though, my 360 is loud sometimes but I usually have my standing anyways. I never thought of it as a bad thing if it's a little loud though?

Anyways, I used to have that spinning dvd/cd scratch remover thing that I bought from Gamestop YEARS ago and that worked here and there on scratched up games I bought or "accidentally" damaged myself. Mine was manual though and you had to crank it yourself. Sucked, but like I said it did actually fix some of games and movies! Wink Good luck w/ this one man! Hope you're killing off some zombies in GA soon!

Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!
Wolfman's got nards!
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »

By accident no. On purpose a few time. 1 has ended up in my pool. Another a neighbors yard. Plus some I have snapped in half.

Fight Night...totally worth it.
I've broken controllers and console decks as a kid in fits of rage on the NES (went through 5 repairs on various NES decks). A friend of mine put a hole through his wall with an N64 controller. However, fortunately, most of my consoles as a kid were cartridge and I always treated my games nicely.

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »

On my first playthrough of FF VII in 1997, I used a save point in the Northern Cave, and it turned out to be a badly chosen spot to do so.  I couldn't defeat Sephiroth, and I couldn't get out of the cave to try and grind out some levels and get better gear.   I snapped my poor controller in half.  Other than that, I can't say that I broke any game on purpose.   
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »

My cousin when he still worked at a copper mine took a couple of NBA Live 07 and dropped it in one of the holes that had explosives in it. That game got turned into powder.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:57 AM »

My cousin when he still worked at a copper mine took a couple of NBA Live 07 and dropped it in one of the holes that had explosives in it. That game got turned into powder.

this wins for best method of destroying a bad game
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »

Indeed it does.

TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »

A few times by accident, like when I accidentally dropped my copy of Smackdown!: Here Comes The Pain and stepped on it, cracking it into 3 pieces, or when I dropped my original white Gameboy Advance, loaded with Pokemon: Emerald Green down a flight of stairs and there was nothing left of the screen or the game save.

The only time that I ever intentionally destroyed a game was when I got so pissed off at Target: Renegade on the NES, that I ripped the game right out of the system, took it across the road where I lived at the time, and threw it into the creek that ran there.  If you've played Target: Renegade, I'm sure you completely understand, and for those of you that haven't: DON'T.

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »

like when I accidentally dropped my copy of Smackdown!: Here Comes The Pain and stepped on it, cracking it into 3 pieces
Here Comes The Pain, ironically this summed up what the game would have been thinking.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

The only time that I ever intentionally destroyed a game was when I got so pissed off at Target: Renegade on the NES, that I ripped the game right out of the system, took it across the road where I lived at the time, and threw it into the creek that ran there. 

[img width=339 height=192]http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/golf-clap.gif[/img]

Seriously, dude.  You deserve it.

If you've played Target: Renegade, I'm sure you completely understand, and for those of you that haven't: DON'T.

Crabby?  Challenge accepted?

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length