RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:59:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Ouya? 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ouya?  (Read 3489 times)
smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »

After reading about this I was very curious.  Decided to pre-order one.  Anybody else going to give this a shot??

Seems like it will be very user firendly, but I'm worried about the library.  Worst case scenario, it will be a "browser" for my TV..
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

I am barely not buying this, or, I am almost buying this. There are so many neat electronic toys right now. The Ouya, Raspberry Pi, that neo geo x thing......the list goes on. If I actually spent more than a few bucks a month on gaming.....
smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »

The Neo Geo X kinda looks cool too.. I think I'll wait til I can find one of them used.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:52 PM »

O ya?

When shall his new form be revealed?
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

If I want to play smartphone games, then I will play them on a smartphone.

Ze_ro
Donor
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:26:02 AM »

I pledged money to the Ouya Kickstarter... but I still haven't gotten my system. It's in the mail, but at this point it might not even arrive before the actual public release. Hooray for being an early backer!

The Neo Geo X kinda looks cool too.. I think I'll wait til I can find one of them used.
I have one of these too. It's actually a pretty slick machine, but Tommo seems to be completely incompetent with it's management. All they have to do is stick ROM images on an SD card and sell them, but it takes them several months to even get that right. I seriously don't understand. I was honestly hoping the hacking community would bust it wide open, but somehow it hasn't happened (I've followed some of the developments, and it doesn't even seem to be secured in any serious way... but none of the real hackers have taken an interest in it I guess).

In the meantime, it's a great Samurai Shodown II machine. Damn I love that game.

--Zero
smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »

Got mine today.. The box is cool.  Controller isn't as bad as I read.. (think big PS controller).  Software update out of the box is taking forever.. Might not get to play any today.
theGrue
Android Developer
Programmers

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »

Welp I just went on a long rant about the Ouya over in #rfgeneration, might as well post it here!

JamesNotWorking   is there some controversy about the ouya?
   theGrue_   oh yes
   JamesNotWorking   go on...
   JamesNotWorking   i saw a rather unhappy unboxing video
   |<--   theGrue has left quakenet (Ping timeout)
   theGrue_   very little transparency throughout the development process, unlike most Kickstarters
   =-=   YOU are now known as theGrue
   theGrue   Began shipping units very very slowly to backers in random order, but somehow the press got them early
   theGrue   Press issue bad reviews, "it's just a preview version" they claim, despite never claiming there'd be differences between retail and kickstarter editions
   JamesNotWorking   hmmmm
   theGrue   People that receive theirs find that the controller is awful and has huge dead zones, it needs a credit card entered to start up, IAP screens don't show prices or have confirmation dialogs
   theGrue   Despite being an "open, hacker-friendly" console, the bootloader is locked, source code was not provided for a long time, and it has no recovery mode so if you brick it, you're screwed
   theGrue   Buttons get stuck under the faceplate, analog sticks get worn down by sharp edges in the pot around the stick, the metal casing kills any wireless range for either bluetooth or wi-fi
   theGrue   Consoles shipped at a trickle until mid may, when they claimed "100% shipped" but people still waited weeks for tracking numbers
   theGrue   Retail launch was today, stores have systems before most Kickstarter backers do
   theGrue   The company is ordering their own console from Amazon to send to backers who complain loud enough, more or less ignoring what they actually paid for in their kickstarter bid
   JamesNotWorking   sounds shoddy and incomplete
   theGrue   They claim to be taking on the big 3 (nintendo, sony, ms) but heavily promote using their console for emulators, were tweeting screenshots of it playing Super Mario Bros as recently as yesterday
   theGrue   The highest selling game has 400-500 purchases
   theGrue   There's no download manager anywhere, and it's a two step process between "download game" and "install game"
   theGrue   There's no way to update games, the developers have to tell everyone to delete the game off their console (which will also take out their save game) and re-download it from the store
   theGrue   I could go on and on
   theGrue   But it's been my source of internet laffs for quite some time

Please do not buy an Ouya.

smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »

With this firmware update directly out of the box.. I'm quickly losing enthusiasm.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »

A detailed review of a pre-production one from Ashen's. if anyone wants to see more about it. It doesn't seem like a great idea...

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »

It was initially a good idea, but I see the execution is severely underwhelming.  I'm very glad I didn't pre-order one.
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »

Ouya.

smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 07:06:15 AM »

After a 3 hour firmware update to get started, my controller disconnects twice trying to put my name in to register...

I would have better of spending money on a bunch of 'Festers Quest'.
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »

I'm with nupoile, I'm either just barely buying one or just barely not buying one.  I'm more interested in the entertainment possibilities rather than games since I do not have cable.  I think the conclusion section of the Joystiq review sums it up quite nicely.

http://www.joystiq.com/20.../ouya-kickstarter-review/

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »

i'm seeing a lot of talk of "potential" and "possibilities". that's not what i buy a console for, i buy it for what they actually have when i buy it. and what i'm seeing are a lot of major problems, and nothing but ports of mobile games, with again, the "potential" for new indie games.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length