RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2024, 02:19:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Last of Us 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 6123 times)
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »

I'm guessing that there will be at least a few members playing this right now. Might as well have a thread for it and keep the discussion out of The Gaming Diary, where we might spoil something for those that aren't.

I'm in the tower on the way to the capitol and having a bear of a time with one specific room...
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »

I'm super excited for this game but I'm holding out for a price drop.

Does the game live up to the "beautiful yet brutal" reputation its receiving?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

good idea with the new thread, we've probably posted too much in the gaming diary already Lol.

I'm super excited for this game but I'm holding out for a price drop.

Does the game live up to the "beautiful yet brutal" reputation its receiving?

definitely agree with that description. another friend said he read reviews like: " Everyone is saying it's not "fun", but a realistic, brutal narrative and probably game of the year." though i'm definitely having fun with it as much as enjoying the narrative and difficulty.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »

Like I said in the Small Scores, just PM me telling me how awesome this game is. I know I'll love it once I play it.

BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »

Apt description. Lots of trial and error. Getting the same frustrated feelings that I used to get from Demon's Souls.

Hopefully some of it can just be blamed on the learning curve...
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 02:39:50 AM »

played a ton of this tonight. getting a lot better at it, though i've died a lot on some parts. once you start picking up more weapons stealth becomes less important, but it's still a major part of the gameplay. there are just some areas that don't seem to want you to proceed until you've beaten all the enemies though. at least it feels that way to me.

anyway i'm getting close to the yellow bridge...not actually sure what city this is supposed to be in now. i'm not familiar enough with US cities to recognize them all by landmarks, and i probably missed something that made it clear which city it was. unless it's just another area of boston, but i'm pretty sure they implied that it's not.

overall though i'm loving this game, i haven't been this hooked on one in a long time and it's worth every penny so far.
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »

Just started the mission looking for car parts. Game has gotten a little easier as I've gone along, but I still find myself replaying sections over fairly regularly.

Side note: I never have enough shivs. I've had to leave two doors unopened because I didn't have one. Super frustrating!
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »

Just started the mission looking for car parts. Game has gotten a little easier as I've gone along, but I still find myself replaying sections over fairly regularly.

Side note: I never have enough shivs. I've had to leave two doors unopened because I didn't have one. Super frustrating!

i've been spending a ton of time thoroughly exploring everywhere for parts, and i still find myself running low sometimes. i usually manage to find enough to make a shiv pretty easily though. you should get the upgrade that makes the shiv last longer asap, it helps a lot. i don't think i've seen more than 2 doors to unlock with a shiv yet though, maybe i'm not exploring enough. some areas are really confusing because of the lack of map, but i feel like that and the lack of supplies all really add to what makes the game awesome. it makes it really feel like a struggle for survival and a bit more realistic.

also what did you think about the fight where you meet bill? that was my favourite moment of the game so far.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »

grumble mumble no pc release mumble grumble

When shall his new form be revealed?
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »

I've explored every nook and cranny for materials, and I doubt I've missed much. I've tried as much as I can to make all my kills stealth kills, which is why I'm constantly without shivs. Maybe I'll try to use my bow and arrow more...

I'm in the middle of the Bill missions right now. Enjoyed all of it, even where you got swung upside down by one of his booby traps. Not sure how Ellie was able to avoid the clickers when Joel dies the moment he's touched by one, but I'm doing my best not to be bothered by that. Smiley
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 11:33:12 PM »

I'm enjoying you guys talking about the game. Sounds like it's really tough but still a great experience. I know I'll love it because I liked Uncharted 1 and 2 a lot, but I'm going to hold out for a price drop... Unless someone can convince me otherwise. Wink

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:58:43 AM »

The opening really grabbed me with well realized setting and characters.  Very impressed with the overall design and execution.

And then Naughty Dog COMPLETELY RUINED my ability to play the game without getting extremely nauseous because of NO SOUTHPAW SUPPORT.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...the-SouthpawClaw-1463.php

Argh.  Watched a buddy play for awhile, but I have no options at the moment to experience it myself.  The gentleman who hard-modded my wireless 360 controller can't do the same for a PS3 one, so I'm stuck with another great game that I'm unable to play.  Man, its frustrating.

Keelah se'lai
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »

just over 14 hours in at 89% already. i feel like this might be the final area, but i just really needed a break. i've been playing for about 4 hours straight, maybe 5. loving it, at first the story seems straightforward, but they just keep throwing more twists at you. i really like that it's more complex than just a typical zombies vs humans apocalypse.

The opening really grabbed me with well realized setting and characters.  Very impressed with the overall design and execution.

And then Naughty Dog COMPLETELY RUINED my ability to play the game without getting extremely nauseous because of NO SOUTHPAW SUPPORT.

Argh.  Watched a buddy play for awhile, but I have no options at the moment to experience it myself.  The gentleman who hard-modded my wireless 360 controller can't do the same for a PS3 one, so I'm stuck with another great game that I'm unable to play.  Man, its frustrating.

that really sucks Sad hopefully you can find some way to play it. maybe find out if there's a way to use your xbox controller on your ps3? alternatively, see if the guy who modded your 360 controller could do the same for a ps3 afterglow. the afterglow is physically laid out the same way as a 360 controller.
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »

just over 14 hours in at 89% already. i feel like this might be the final area, but i just really needed a break. i've been playing for about 4 hours straight, maybe 5. loving it, at first the story seems straightforward, but they just keep throwing more twists at you. i really like that it's more complex than just a typical zombies vs humans apocalypse.

that really sucks Sad hopefully you can find some way to play it. maybe find out if there's a way to use your xbox controller on your ps3? alternatively, see if the guy who modded your 360 controller could do the same for a ps3 afterglow. the afterglow is physically laid out the same way as a 360 controller.

Thanks for the thought. Smiley  My modded 360 controllers are wireless, and I bought the PC dongle for them just on the unlikely chance it'd work on the PS3.  Which, of course, it didn't, but it shows how desperate I am to resolve this.

Thanks for recommending the Afterglow; I suggested rewiring a 3rd party PS3 controller to my mod guy (northern-games, found him on eBay) and he said he'd be willing to try anything that didn't use the weld-like solder in the Dual Shocks, but he hadn't opened anything else up yet.  Might buy an Afterglow and send it to him.

Keelah se'lai
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

I've heard the Thrustmaster PS3 controllers have hardware mapping support so you can swap the joysticks, though they don't have Rumble or Sixaxis support: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products

http://www.amazon.com/Thr...aystation-2/dp/B000SKLWCW

I'm a southpaw player who couldn't play many modern AAA titles due to not being considered when the games were designed-enter this FULLY PROGRAMABLE
controller. You simply press map then the button / stick direction where you want it and vola it's set how you want it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length