RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:15:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo 64 games that hold up today. 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 64 games that hold up today.  (Read 5541 times)
GamingGuru
N-Gage

Stats
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »

So i got a Nintendo 64 i have banjo kazooie, ocarina of time, Super Mario 64, Battletanx and Diddy Kong Racing. I want more games to collect but although i love the N64 i do not know alot of games that i would buy and enjoy because i used to love goldeneye but it just does not hold up today and that got me thinking what does hold up today. So do you have any game suggestions that hold up today and i should purchase thanks  Smiley

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »

So i got a Nintendo 64 i have banjo kazooie, ocarina of time, Super Mario 64, Battletanx and Diddy Kong Racing. I want more games to collect but although i love the N64 i do not know alot of games that i would buy and enjoy because i used to love goldeneye but it just does not hold up today and that got me thinking what does hold up today. So do you have any game suggestions that hold up today and i should purchase thanks  Smiley
Two words...Paper Mario Smiley

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »

Super Smash Bros., 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero X, & MarioKart 64 come to mind. I can play all of my N64 games for hours but I know what you mean by hold up well and those are the best examples I have off hand.

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »

Check out Conkers Bad Fur Day or the other Zelda Majoras Mask.
theGrue
Android Developer
Programmers

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:59:58 AM »

Blast Corps! There's really nothing else out there like it.

Seno
Sega CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »

Jet Force Gemini and another vote Blast Corps
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:30:32 AM »

I love Blast Corps. Its probably the purest form of video game entertainment and its absolutely genius in its simplicity. Only Rareware man.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »

I still play the hell out of Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, and Mario Kart 64
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »

A lot of good suggestions here, but can't believe I haven't heard Wave Race yet.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »

MarioKart is still playable. A lot of games though I think people have trouble with the controller.

When shall his new form be revealed?
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »

Starcraft64

is terrible.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »

I've been seriously thinking about getting one of these adaptor cables to permanently solve the N64 controller issue: http://www.raphnet-tech.c..._to_n64_adapter/index.php

Has anyone used one?

No
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

Depending where you are, some games hold up better than others due to some early games (e.g. Wave Race 64) got bad PAL conversions and that some had a low framerate that wasn't noticeable at the time but is now which makes it worse if you live in the UK/Europe.

Anyway while I like Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars and Rogue Squadron a lot, I don't think that they hold up today for someone new to the system (the former got a 3DS "port", the latter was also on the PC) so it would be hard to recommend games that don't show the N64's weaknesses as much.

Some good games though:

Blast Corps (haven't played it but heard it was good)
F-Zero X
F1 World Grand Prix (despite yearly Formula 1 games, this is one of the few that not only was playable back then but also one of the good ones) [note: there is a sequel in Europe that is slightly better than this one though but I'm guessing that you're American]
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (if you don't already have it on the Gamecube/3DS or if you want the uncensored version if you can find it)
Mario Kart 64 [NTSC yes, PAL maybe/maybe not]
Mischief Makers (sadly I don't own this game but its from Treasure at their prime and good 2D rarely ages)
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (I think it is still playable but going by 13 years ago memory)
Mystical Ninja 2: Goemon's Great Adventure (not played this game, its in 2D though so it should be still)
Super Smash Bros.

Puzzle games like The New Tetris, Magical Tetris Challenge, Pokemon Puzzle League still hold up due to the 2D art that the games use [whether you like the late 90s Pokemon anime style of Puzzle League is another thing].

World Driver Championship was impressive back then and is one of the few games that must be played on a real system no matter what (no emulators work this game at all last time I checked) due to the custom microcode but racing games especially Gran Turismo style aren't to everyones cup of tea even though it has fictional cars.

Also If you like Diddy Kong Racing, there's Mickey's Speedway USA and if you like Banjo-Kazooie, there's Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day (but be careful of framerate problems) in terms of the Rare stuff.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »

Aside from a few of the FPS most N64 games are still awesome to play.  Some of my favorites are:

Wave Race
Mickey Speedway
Killer Instinct Gold
Doom 64
Beetle Adventure Racing

ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »

I'll also speak in favor of Conker's Bad Fur Day. If that game doesn't make you laugh, nothing will. Smiley

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length