RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 12:28:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off  (Read 42797 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »

That lets me know everything I wanted to know - it's exactly like DRM on Xbox 360 right now.
It's exactly like the DRM on downloadable titles on Xbox 360 right now. They are just broadening it to all titles.

The DRM is the same - I never implied that the retail discs had DRM on Xbox 360. I fail to see how this is a problem though for normal gamers who consume mostly digital titles these days. It's starting to look like this is going to be the start of the end of physical media though.

I'm not normal? Sad
I'm pretty sure you're the farthest thing from normal.
Don't look so sad about it though, its a good thing.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

That lets me know everything I wanted to know - it's exactly like DRM on Xbox 360 right now.
It's exactly like the DRM on downloadable titles on Xbox 360 right now. They are just broadening it to all titles.

The DRM is the same - I never implied that the retail discs had DRM on Xbox 360. I fail to see how this is a problem though for normal gamers who consume mostly digital titles these days. It's starting to look like this is going to be the start of the end of physical media though.

I'm not normal? Sad

I'm not normal! Cheesy

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »

I'm not normal? Sad

I'm not normal! Cheesy

You know what, screw being normal. We're the proud and the few weirdos.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Seno
Sega CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »

Apart from the odd exclusive what would be the point of buying xbox one over the steam box?

All the annoying aspects of steam, but with an uncertain future and the games will cost more - plus as it is still using physical media it won't have the great sales and bundles you get on steam.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »

Most of "us", meaning the dwindling percentage of people that still purchase physical media instead of digital content?
Digital music sales eclipsed physical media sales in 2011. It took 10 years for that to happen. Steam's been plugging along for how many years now?

Not trying to parade my own company around, but considering they were the first major publisher to jump into the digital pool instead of tip-toe into it, the following article should show where the industry's rapidly heading in the next year or two:
http://seekingalpha.com/a...th-digital-revenue-growth

CoinCollector
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »

I really think companies "release" this info to see the response and go from there. It is a long time until both systems come out so stuff can change.
Very very possible, despicable if true.  And I won't be getting behind any form of DRM they try, whether it's requiring an internet connection or charging even a penny.  It's talking down to the consumer, claiming authority.  They are up in The Cloud on a throne of skulls and thorns, and when we peasants insert a disc, they begrudgingly wave their dark staff and give us permission to play what we have purchased... for a short while.  Something to that effect.

Even if it was a 100% honest good-natured attempt to simply solve the "problem" of used game sales, it'd still be a form of gaming tyranny.  So, nah, I'll stick with the Computer/Wii U/Ouya combo team!

Siiigghh... I just hope Banjo, Conker, and the rest of the Rareware gang can escape Microsoft's legal clutches someday.  Cry

EDIT: Oh, and not to mention that the new creepy hyper-sensitive Kinect 2.0 is required in order to use the console.  Ha, most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:05:13 PM by CoinCollector » Logged

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »

Oh look, consoles are going in the inevitable direction that I've been telling you they were going to go for three years!

The stupid part is that consoles are just turning into non-modifiable PCs. So we get stuck with devs using the same graphics hardware for a freaking decade so all the console gamers buy their games.

In two generations all video (tv, movies, etc.), gaming, and "computering" will be done on the same device with phones/tablets probably coming packaged with them. Be interesting if the console companies can survive the transition.

When shall his new form be revealed?
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »

Xbox One might be an even more stupid name than Wii U.  Xbox one came out in 2001, and now 2013?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »

No secondary market has been an ongoing debate for what 10+ years now?

People parade Steam around and PC gaming but (to me) that is what it looks like the Nextbox is trying to emulate.

I and apparently thousands of others thought the system looked like a VCR. I was not overly impressed with anything.

http://www.youtube.com/wa...u2o4&feature=youtu.be
Got me interested in how much more potential the next kinect has.

Other than that i'm still not really interested in anything it has to offer.

I don't see why it is so shocking profiles would carry over. They carried from Xbox to 360.
But for some people even that isn't really good news. I know there are quite a few people out there who have profiles that kills their current system and i doubt anything will have been done to fix that current problem. Most likely even more info will be getting dumped onto your profile making it larger and causing even more lag.

Instead of trying to make everything work with everything else and still keeping everything separate they should have focused on making a cohesive fully functioning market place. Their Sales and Special app for example was a complete disgrace. Having a GFWL, Win7, Win8, Win8 PC, XBLA, and a couple other market places all chopped into different locations. Some use MSP some only use debit. Stupid.

They get a +1 for further improving the controller while still maintaining the same design (much like Sony has done in years past)

They get a +1 for making the Kinect 2 MUCH more capable (this is tentative though. Much like the Wiimote and the Kinect it still needs to see actual useage). Based on some of the homegrown Kinect stuff i have seen vs retail applications though i think part of the kinect problems was on the developer ends.
Addressing the lighting and space concerns makes me happy to hear though.

Everything else was a wash in my book.
I don't care about any of the features they have included that were stolen from a PC. If my cuz stays in Japan i could potentially use it for Skype. But i have that on my PC. I have Netflix on my bluray player. I have the internet on my PC i have music on my PC.

I use my gaming consoles for gaming.

I'm certainly not impressed enough to go out and throw down a preorder so i can get 10$s off when i buy it.
EA backing them with exclusive feature should work in their favor.
Activision backing them with CoD content first will certainly help them.

Seemingly not expecting backlash from the obvious issues they have hurt themselves. I didn't find any of the conference thrilling but from a financial standpoint they seem to be off to a good start. Assuming they can keep those deals under lock and potentially secure more.

BTW i was watching a few stocks during the confrence. MS was down between .09 and .2
EA bounce between 2-3% up. Dips generally occured shortly after mentions of exclusivity. Which seemed odd.
Activision showed little change throughout and was up before the confrence started so i didn't keep close tabs.
Sony was down a tad(less than MS)
Nintendo was up around 2-3%

Since i don't follow those stocks frequently and the conference seemed to have so little impact i can assume it is just normal trading cycle. It was interesting though that up stocks seemed to drop a bit and down stock seemed to drop lower when they were talking and when they were showing videos they would inch back up.

EDIT SINCE THERE HAVE BEEN RESPONSES SINCE I STARTED TYPING
Blck is completely correct. Xbox 1 is a terrible name.

I also agree with Leon. I don't think that PS9 commercial from 10ish years ago is going to come to fruition. MS, Sony and Nintendo will all be around for a long time to come. Regardless of what happens with the gaming market 2 of them have other business ventures and Nintendo has MASSIVE brand recognition and like Sega and Atari is here to stay regardless of the form it takes or who has to buy their IPs

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »

Sony's stock was up due to a separate announcement, not due to the conference just as an FYI.

Sony Entertainment
22.91+1.94 (9.25%)

http://www.ign.com/articl...ent-after-xbox-one-reveal

Your first instinct might be that this has to do with Xbox One’s reveal, which was light on games and heavy on entertainment. That might be part of it, but as Bloomberg reports, the stock jump seems to have been driven primarily by a rumor we first reported on last week: Sony may be spinning off its entertainment division.

Nintendo
13.99    +0.35 / +2.57%

Microsoft Corporation
34.85-0.23 (-0.66%)

Electronic Arts
21.97+0.18 (0.83%)

Activision Blizzard Inc
15.57+0.39 (2.57%)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:54:27 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »

How much more will the packed in Kinect 2 add to the final price tag? Microsoft could have themselves a 599 US Dollars moment on their hands, and if Sony turns around and offers the PS4 for 200 less its going to be a complete bloodbath on the sales charts. All Sony has to do is play their cards right and they're in the best position to claim another generation with complete dominance.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »

How much more will the packed in Kinect 2 add to the final price tag? Microsoft could have themselves a 599 US Dollars moment on their hands, and if Sony turns around and offers the PS4 for 200 less its going to be a complete bloodbath on the sales charts. All Sony has to do is play their cards right and they're in the best position to claim another generation with complete dominance.
I believe you will see Sony dominate the marketplace, just like PS1/PS2 did back in the day.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »

I believe you will see Sony dominate the marketplace, just like PS1/PS2 did back in the day.

I'm waiting to see how SteamBox compares at this point. The market leader has shifted in each of the 3D generations.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »

I think if the Ouya and Steambox play their cards right they could get a foothold.
I'm more interested in seeing how they turn out than the big 3.

Steam has its followers but i can't see PC guys running out to buy a new system when they have already been vested in PCs for so long.

Ouya is probably going to bow out from lack of publicity. It has been publicly backed by some pretty important people/companies but has ANYONE heard anything about it since i started a thread months ago?

Since i have been banging around on Twitter today i was able to see that the general public doesn't consider WiiU next gen and the only things i have seen mentioned about PS4/Nextbox have been questions about how X game will look or what they can do. Really all we have now is a system and controller design and a ton more speculation. Really nothing has been shown than IMO basic tech demos.

EDIT
Again i have to say based on what i have seen thus far the next gen (including Wii U) does not entice me.
Out of the 3 if nintendo can crank out some quality first party stuff i'd probably be most interested in getting a WiiU since i am sure that is going to have the lowest price point. Especially by the time the next two big boys throw their hat in the ring.

The only thing i am intersted in that Xbox has to offer is the next Halo installment and i can get the story from that online if i don't want to shell out the cash.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:14:53 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/wa...3rkA&feature=youtu.be

EDIT
Thus far what i have watched i love how uncomfortable Kotaku guy looks.
He seems slimy. Which is tough to say since the other guy up there is from Spike.

EDIT 2
lol Kotaku guy even toes around people not considering Nintendo next gen at the end.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:27:54 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length