RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:07:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off  (Read 42813 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »

Wii U sales are skyrocketing right now. I think people were waiting to see what Sony and MS had to offer before diving into a new system, and right now, to a hell of a lot of people, Nintendo looks like the way to go despite weak hardware.
Upvote for giving me more hilarious news to read.

I have been pretty obvious about having no want to jump into the next gen but the only way people can show they are against something is with their wallets and it is certainly good to see it happened. Maybe MS will start digging out of the hole instead of digging it deeper.

http://www.cinemablend.co...U-Sales-By-220-56021.html

Closing line is excellent
" Congratulations Microsoft, you just sold more Wii Us than Nintendo."

I've said this in various places already but if I had to pick a two system duo for this gen like people did with PSWii or Wii60 I would go for the PS4 + Wii U combo. I call it Pii U.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2013, 04:37:24 AM »

I remember the complaints from the start of this generation.

• Wii "waggle"
  • $60/year for LIVE (aka premium online gaming"
  • "Achievements are ruining gaming."
  • Price hike from $50 to $60.
  • DLC and downloads.

Now look at gaming.  PS3 picked the first four habits, and Xbox came out with the kinect.  Downloads are always a concern for collectors and are something of which we will be wary.

Look at us now!  Paying for online service isn't too big of a deal.  Achievements have us addicted to picking up every new release (even sports titles), and some of those arcade download releases are must haves.

Console design, marketing, and sales

Bump #1
I do not envy console makers this time around.  It seems like something as long standing as watching old-fashioned television has changed as the big screen has to compete with tablets and smartphones for viewers attention.  Gaming requires dedicated attention, and if you're an online gamer who shares living quarters with others, chances are you put your life on hold... one match at a time.

Bump #2
Used game sales is a big thorn in the side of the industry.  Companies like GameStop can attribute their entire profit structure to the resale of used games... often selling the same disc 5x over.  Even Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and amazon.com are digging into used games with mixed success.

We've seen the transition to DOWNLOAD ONLY coming for some time now, and developers have taken different approaches.  EA kills their sport servers after two seasons.  Meanwhile, companies like Epic try to make sweet deals for new game buyers with one-time downloads, like the Gears 2 "flashback" map pack.

I'm quite certain developers would like the download-only structure because it involves direct sales.  Resale only gives profit to the reseller.  With how popular online gaming is now, the thought of being require to be online to play is not that big of a hurdle; especially for the people who will continue to buy new games.

Personally, I would like to see the return of the $50 price point if they are going to want to make progress on cutting out used sales.

Bump #3
Retail.  Traditionally, console sales have been subsidized.  For the first year or two, console makers lose money on each unit sold.  .  For the console maker, the profit comes from software sales, and after 10-12 titles purchased, the cost of the console is offset.  Meanwhile, retailers also don't see any profit in console sales, only occupied shelf space.  They see a modest profit on software sales (on part with music and film) so carrying the hardware is necessary to promote software sales.

The problem for console makers is that if they cut out physical discs is that retailers will be less likely to sell their hardware.  Keep in mind, this past generation Wal-Mart became one of the biggest retailer for video games in the US.

Timing

In the past some big announcements have been teased before E3.  The Wii remote stands out in my mind.  I think this gives the media several weeks to chew on it before the big show.  Otherwise, the shock becomes overwhelming.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:42:22 AM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

I've had time to relax, and even without seeing what they have to offer at E3, I'm sure I'll be enjoying my state-of-the-art satellite receiver =]

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »

I'm not at all surprised by all the things the Xbox One does. It was pretty clear this was coming. I can't believe though that Microsoft went Nintendo-stupid with their naming. The One? I already have that system! Not to mention this is yet another system people will just call "the Xbox", adding further to confusion. Props to Sony for sticking to a logical numbering system, which also enforces people to abreviate their systems in a logical way: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4.

- The hardware is fairly timid compared a today's average PC (built today, not owned today).
- A 500GB harddrive will fill up instantly.
- Used games will require a fee to be activated, which will likely be 75% of the cost of the original game.
- It needs to connect daily.
- Kinect is needed for the system to work.
- The system/Kinect is always on.

Fun things they could do with Kinect:
- See what you're doing while the system is "off". (this is the obvious one)
- See when a person walks into the room and stop showing you content because you've gone over the treshold of people allowed.
- See when a person walks in and charge you more for content, because another person started watching along.
- See whether it's really you playing and not your friend. If it's your friend, charge you extra! (this one would be super cruel)

Personally, I'm not all that excited. Microsoft really wants this to be your entertainment center and not just a console. I'm kind of expecting the same from Sony, although if Sony decides to not do some of these things (always on, no used games) that would be nice.
nes_pimp
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »

It does look like a VCR, my first thoughts to.

I will buy ONE but only if it is lunched at under $300 and/or has a lifetime warrenty. Other wise Im just blowing money away one a VCR thats going to crap out on me.
I thought Mircosoft could do better considering how badly there being dominated by Apple.

Im thinging the new PlayStation is going to be all aboot 3D.
ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »

So apparently the Xbox One will only have HDMI and nothing else? Fuck that noise, as if I needed another reason to hate modern gaming
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »

So apparently the Xbox One will only have HDMI and nothing else? Fuck that noise, as if I needed another reason to hate modern gaming

Why would you use anything but HDMI for a console that is meant to output in full HD?
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »

One issue I have for their big push into TV is the inability to handle over the air broadcasts. I don't have cable or satellite, just an antenna. There is no way to pipe that into the XB1.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »

Trying to appeal to everybody pleases nobody.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

Achievement hunters be prepared for a new slew of unobtainables?
Assuming it is real?

http://www.gamesindustry....patent-on-tv-achievements

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »

"Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer, without many opportunities for the viewer to engage or have interactive experiences with the presented content,"

Isn't that the point of television?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »

One issue I have for their big push into TV is the inability to handle over the air broadcasts. I don't have cable or satellite, just an antenna. There is no way to pipe that into the XB1.

Equally funny is how half the show was about all the TV shows you'll be able to watch on your Xbox One........if you live in the US. All of that stuff will likely never work anywhere else in the world.
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »

Assuming it is real?

http://www.extremetech.co...l-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

This is another disturbing patent.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

Assuming it is real?

http://www.extremetech.co...l-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

This is another disturbing patent.

ahh Xbox One, playing hard to get i see.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:54 AM »

Trying to appeal to everybody pleases nobody.
Yep.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length