RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2024, 06:17:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | EA halts Online Passes 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: EA halts Online Passes  (Read 6048 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »

With all this speculation I'm considering putting my fingers to work on my keyboard and showing why charging for used game access will be detrimental to Microsoft and/or Sony's ambition for the next generation.

If both charge for used games then I would expect a flock to Nintendo since their newest system already lets you play used games for the low low price of whatever the game cost and not a penny extra. In this generation it would be much more intelligent and prudent to follow the Big N's example since they exist as another option for gamers, no matter what everybody on here thinks. I know I would buy a Wii U and completely ignore PS4 and NextBox if both of them want to charge an extra $5-10 just to play a game I've already spent money on.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:55:44 PM »

But, that is the only thing Sony has said about used games.  They haven't said anything about potential fees related to playing those used games.

That's a journalistic tactic called 'speculation'. There is no truth or research behind any of it, I remember all those articles popping up right after Sony just said, "You can play used games on PS4," and all these 'games journalists' that wanted views and ad revenue were creating unverifiable BS claims along the lines of, "What did that really mean? Are there hidden fees?"

Taken from a recent article on Wired

Game Informer wrote to Sony for a follow-up, and an unnamed spokesperson said this: “We are just now announcing the basic vision and strategy of PS4 and will have more information to share regarding used games later this year. But PlayStation has a long history of keeping its gamers happy and we won’t make decisions that damage our relationship with them.”

Um: More information? If PS4 can play used games, what more information could there possibly be? The only way there would be any more information is if playing used games on a PlayStation 4 is more complicated (or costly) than simply buying a disc and popping it in.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »

I wrote a long post about backwards compatibility, but then remembered we were stirring the pot on used games. embarrassed

Most of the games I buy for the PS3/3DS/other new systems are brand new anyway (albeit around $10 usually).  I hope that Sony/Microsoft doesn't charge for used games, but Online Passes were essentially that but to cover server costs.  I wouldn't ignore PS4/NextBox simply because I usually buy my games new as it is.
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »

I wrote a long post about backwards compatibility, but then remembered we were stirring the pot on used games. embarrassed

Most of the games I buy for the PS3/3DS/other new systems are brand new anyway (albeit around $10 usually).

Same.  I buy very few games on day 1 or close to it.  I play games a few months to a year after they come out and I buy new for $10 or less.  Doesn't really affect me but I see why people are concerned about it.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »

EA getting rid of online passes is just the lube before they fuck us with the next gen. You can play their game but if you want to buy it you have to buy the exe file to load it. Oh you want that game in color yeah microtrasaction to enable color.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:01:37 PM by Tynstar » Logged

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »

EA getting rid of online passes is just the lube before they fuck us with the next gen. You can play their game but if you want to buy it you have to buy the exe file to load it. Oh you want that game in color yeah microtrasaction to enable color.

I think they've learned a lesson. Limiting access limits profit.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:55 AM »

I think they've learned a lesson. Limiting access limits profit.
I thought EA made money with online passes?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »

maybe that worst company award really got to them
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 06:03:53 AM »

@ ThePsychoticSir  I agree.

If I were to guess it is something along the lines of:

These games are costly to produce and aren't getting any cheaper.

Online passes prevent more people from playing your game.

Why include online passes when you can substitute that for micro-transactions instead. This way even if someone buys a used copy of Battlefield 4 we can still make money.

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine the micro-transactions in Dead Space 3 made them more money that people purchasing an on-line pass.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:08:06 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »

You're right, Link, I read somewhere that the Online Pass program generated somewhere between 10-15 million each year for EA.  I wonder how many of those sales are from people who purchased the game used versus someone who rented or Gamefly'd (Gameflew?) the game and wanted to play online also.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »

You're right, Link, I read somewhere that the Online Pass program generated somewhere between 10-15 million each year for EA.  I wonder how many of those sales are from people who purchased the game used versus someone who rented or Gamefly'd (Gameflew?) the game and wanted to play online also.

EA gave Online Pass keys to anyone who rented Battlefield 3 through Gamefly when it came out. It was a nice surprise.

"Dear Addicted,

You're receiving this e-mail because you requested an Online Pass code for Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360). Your Online Pass code is below:
XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To activate your Online Pass, please select "REDEEM CODE" at the Online Pass screen in-game and follow the on-screen instructions.

Happy gaming!

GameFly Support
E-mail: support@gamefly.com
Online Help: www.gamefly.com/help
GameFly - Games Delivered

You're receiving this e-mail because you requested an Online Pass code for Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360). You must have an Xbox LIVE Gold membership to redeem this Online Pass.

Please do not reply to this e-mail, as we're unable to respond from this address. If you need help or need to contact us, please visit our Help/FAQ section or e-mail support@gamefly.com.

GameFly, Inc. PO Box 5326 Culver City, CA 90231-5326"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:00:27 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »

Wow, I hadn't heard about that.  That's really cool. 

It says that you requested an online pass, did you have to do anything or it just came automatically?

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »

There's another problem I have with Tiger Woods 14. It gives you the option to buy the other courses (which is cool) but unlike 13, you can't EARN the courses. It used to be you HAD to unlock other stuff like that. I have no problem with the option to buy them available (it's just a golf game) I even bought some of them myself because it takes too long to earn them and I want my Emerald Dragon! But still the fact they removed the ability to get them with in game currency sucks. I'm sure they made it harder to unlock on 13 so you would just buy them anyway but come on EA =/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »

Revenue does not equal profit.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »

You're right, Link, I read somewhere that the Online Pass program generated somewhere between 10-15 million each year for EA.

Correction-

I looked up the article that I referenced with that number and it wasn't 10-15 mil per year, they made 10-15 mil from the day the program started until September of 2011, roughly a year and a half.  EA said that  the revenue generated "hasn't been dramatic"

Good point, Psycho, revenue isn't profit.  I'm guessing they aren't in the red, though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length