RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 07:27:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | A Touchy Subject? Dumb Game Store Employees 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Touchy Subject? Dumb Game Store Employees  (Read 4973 times)
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »

The other day, I was calling a BUNCH of GameStop Stores looking for the 360 Game, Import Tuner Challenge. I eventually managed to track it down, and proceeded to go out and purchase it. They told me it was in "great shape", and to my surprise, the disc was cracked, and there was a bunch of white stuff right in the center where the disc hole is. What the hell? How is that "great shape"? Has this ever happened to you? And more importantly, how could someone get hired at a store with that kind of stupidity?

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »

Minimum wage, and you can treat them like crap. If they decide to quit or not show up, there's always another to fill in the position. Enough said.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »

^ Pretty much what Shadow said, they are there to collect a paycheck. Don't overly know much about the games themselves. Of course there are employees who know what they are talking about, but it seems the number that don't outnumber the ones that do.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »

^ Pretty much what Shadow said, they are there to collect a paycheck. Don't overly know much about the games themselves. Of course there are employees who know what they are talking about, but it seems the number that don't outnumber the ones that do.

My wife has put numerous GameStop employees in their place when they mistake her for an uninformed woman that only plays casual games. Last time, some employee was trying to recommend some POS title to an uninformed lady because the title wasn't selling, and my wife made sure to inform her of what it was actually like. Lady left in disgust and the GameStop employee asked us to leave. Unfortunately for him, I know the manager at the store and he was replaced the next day.

It helps when most of the GameStop managers in the area are former co-workers.

A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

After working for Gamestop for 7 yrs on and off ( multiple times) the stories I could tell. When you get paid min wage and the company wants everything for that price you end up with people who dont care. That and the fact MOST work there just for the discount on games.

Ive noticed in my location before my store closed alot of people were like me in the fact they liked what they liked and knew very little about anything outside of what they personally liked. Just showing up for the discount kinda goes with the territory when the company really offers you NOTHING else for part time or even full time non store managers. Add to this going from a cashier, to a key holder is 25 cents difference makes working harder and going further seems less interesting for more young people. Most everyone at my old store played video games during their shift. 2 guys had red solo cups with them at all times ( You guess what was in the cups) one made weapons out of shelf hangers with a ton of rubber bands.

I agree though looking at a disc and seeing if its scratched or in good shape should be common sense and honestly should have been done when the stuff was being either traded in OR when it was coming in from another store in shipment.  When I was there the company wanted a certain % of trade ins accepted so even bad CDs were to be considered , taken and marked to be shipped out to our warehouse for refubishing. This of course would be at a 20% less trade in to the customer.

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »

My wife has put numerous GameStop employees in their place when they mistake her for an uninformed woman that only plays casual games. Last time, some employee was trying to recommend some POS title to an uninformed lady because the title wasn't selling, and my wife made sure to inform her of what it was actually like. Lady left in disgust and the GameStop employee asked us to leave. Unfortunately for him, I know the manager at the store and he was replaced the next day.

It helps when most of the GameStop managers in the area are former co-workers.
I hate when that happens :/

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »

You know gamestop.com has a store locator for games right?

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »

I don't know what good they do but I always fill out the surveys and give details at tellgamestop.com.

I find that if I'm polite and tell the clerk right away that I'm looking for stuff in complete and good condition, they are mostly accommodating.

Sure I have my share of horror stories but for how seldom I go there, I must just be lucky to usually run into nice employees. 

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »

It isn't always that accurate. In my area it almost always says NONE or LOW STOCK and then they suggest you call ahead.

EDIT
Of course whenever i am looking for some piece of shit game that sold terribly so that could certainly be part of the problem...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »

the worst i've had was a copy of Tom Clancy's Endwar for PC. i wasn't interested in starting it right away and when i did (happened to be past the return policy), it worked for singleplayer but the multiplayer said my key wasn't able to authenticate/was invalid. so the key was most likely either swiped by staff or a customer, but i didn't bother doing anything about it because it was so long after buying and i think i had lost the receipt too. now i never buy PC games from them unless it's a pre-order, or definitely sealed. i'm also sceptical about buying games with an online pass, but i haven't had a problem with those yet.

only minor complaint about the service itself was buying gears of war 2, the copy i grabbed off the shelf was complete, and when i opened it at home the manual was gone. they must have swapped copies when i wasn't looking for whatever stupid reason. there are also times that are a little more understandable, staff not getting why i want things to match up for used games. like one time i wanted a psp game and the box i grabbed was for the original release, but they only had a greatest hits behind the counter. the girl was putting it in and i asked if they have the matching one and she said "what's the difference? is there extra content on the greatest hits version?" and i said no but had to explain that i just want everything to match, she didn't really get it. didn't buy that one Tongue.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »

The problem with store locators is that with older games, it doesn't tell you whether or not the game has an insert or manual. And good luck finding an employee who is honestly going to take the time to check for you. I'd be happier if they listed this out.

Also, I hate buying opened "new games." It's not new if it's opened. I have no problem with paying the used price or the used price with a slight increase.

My disgust with places like Gamestop is pretty much the reason I own no current generation systems.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »

Also, I hate buying opened "new games." It's not new if it's opened. I have no problem with paying the used price or the used price with a slight increase.

i really hate this too, but if it looks in really good shape and it's one i plan on playing i usually put up with it. definitely agree though, besides pre-orders, gamestop/EB doesn't sell anything new.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »

i really hate this too, but if it looks in really good shape and it's one i plan on playing i usually put up with it. definitely agree though, besides pre-orders, gamestop/EB doesn't sell anything new.

I'm the same way, and will buy it if I really want it.  If it's a Wii game, just be weary that your Nintendo Club points flyer or other materials may be missing.....

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

It isn't always that accurate. In my area it almost always says NONE or LOW STOCK and then they suggest you call ahead.

But it gives you places to call.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »

Their refurbishing sucks to, mine had to furnish me a PSP because one of the shoddy replacement casings they use to refurbish UMDs tore the drive up.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length