RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 03:27:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Opening a Game Store 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Opening a Game Store  (Read 42592 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2013, 05:34:26 AM »

Good luck man. Sending good vibes your way.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »

In my thoughts and prayer, my friend. Hope it works out well for you! Smiley

Keelah se'lai
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »

Very nice. I am so excited for you and hope you get the place

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »

Awesome news Crabby!  I hope all goes well.
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »

I haven't read every page of this thread so pardon me if someone has mentioned these ideas before.  These things will range from "super simple" to "still pretty simple"  I will be referencing Retro Games Plus a lot because they do a lot of things the way I like them to be done.

Stickers that stay on the product but come off without tearing or leaving residue-
The owner of my local store was thrilled when he found these.  I asked why in JENOVA's name would he put price stickers on a boxed NES game and he told me to peel the sticker off.  It was heaven.  He told me they are about the same price as the regular stickers.  PM me for details if you want me to find out where he gets his supplies.

Regular Promotions
I'm a big believer in regular promotions.  One of the reasons I like shopping at Retro Games is the Buy 3 get one free (Under $7.99).  Lots of casual customers come in just looking to buy one or 2 cheap carts but witht he Buy 3 Get One Free Under $7.99, you sell an extra cart or two while moving a low dollar item to make room for more inventory.  

Post Trade Ins On Craigs/Kijiji/Facebook/Twitter
I know that you aren't a big social media guy but I LOVE stores that do this, especially since the store is 40 minutes from me.  Sometimes I want to go there but I don't want to drive that far if they haven't had any good trades lately.  Now, I just load up their FB page because every time there is a decent trade in, they post pics.  You will start to get regular customers following your page and they will become steady customers.  For examples check out the Retro Games Plus FB page

Regular (monthly, bi-monthly) store events
Tournaments, swap meets, casual game days where you set up 15 tvs and let people bring their own stuff for free play, whatever works, just make your store the place where people want to get together with other gamers.

Don't be afraid to spend money on advertising
SOOOO many new businesses seem afraid to spend money on advertising because it is expensive and you aren't sure if there will be a return on it.  Start slow, make sure you have a MONTHLY ADVERTISING BUDGET, and make sure that you spend it on advertising.  Try to find out where people found out about you and put more of your advertising budget in that area.  Find out what the 3 most popular radio stations in your area are and put an ad on the radio, you would be surprised how many people still listen to the radio and read the paper.

Offer System/disc repairs and mods
Invest in a disc resurfacing machine.  If you don't know how to perform common system repairs such as the red ring, yellow light, lens replacements, save battery replacement, sega CD blown MB fuse, AV mods, etc, EITHER LEARN OR HIRE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THESE THINGS.  Most of these repairs are relatively simple once you do a few of them and will regularly put cash into your business.

Sell carts and manuals separately
If someone trades in a cart that comes with a manual, file the manual alphabetically by system.  If someone buys the cart and asks if you have the manual, by all means, give it to them for no extra charge but only if they want it.  This way, people who may be trying to find random pieces to fill in gaps in their collection will always have a manual source in your store.

That's it for now, if I think of more, I'll come back

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

Crossing my fingers for you.

Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

Good luck! I hope it all works out!

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »

Bil you're awesome Smiley

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »

So the landlord is definitely willing to rent to me, but she is not willing to hold the unit until September 1st for me. I won't be able to even start setting up shop until the middle of August so I'm gonna have to decide wether I want to pay for a month I cant use or risk it being rented to someone else while I wait.

Tough choice :/

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »

So the landlord is definitely willing to rent to me, but she is not willing to hold the unit until September 1st for me. I won't be able to even start setting up shop until the middle of August so I'm gonna have to decide wether I want to pay for a month I cant use or risk it being rented to someone else while I wait.

Same think happened to my wife and I when we started renting a house.  It was a tough call but we REALLY liked it and we decided it was worth paying for an extra few weeks as long as we locked it down.  We had lost out on a different place a few weeks before and we didn't want to start the hunt over again AGAIN.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »

Same think happened to my wife and I when we started renting a house.  It was a tough call but we REALLY liked it and we decided it was worth paying for an extra few weeks as long as we locked it down.  We had lost out on a different place a few weeks before and we didn't want to start the hunt over again AGAIN.

Happens A LOT on houses down here as well. It's an effective squeeze technique used by landlords in order to get money coming in sooner. If you feel you need to secure the location, try negotiating for a date in-between, though I'm sure you'll get some BS about monthly lease agreements.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:56:24 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »

Same think happened to my wife and I when we started renting a house.  It was a tough call but we REALLY liked it and we decided it was worth paying for an extra few weeks as long as we locked it down.  We had lost out on a different place a few weeks before and we didn't want to start the hunt over again AGAIN.

Happens A LOT on houses down here as well. It's an effective squeeze technique used by landlords in order to get money coming in sooner. If you feel you need to secure the location, try negotiating for a date in-between, though I'm sure you'll get some BS about monthly lease agreements.

lol, that was the first thing I asked and got that exact answer. I'm gonna talk to her today and see if she'll take a lower payment for August so I can secure it and she can get at least some rental income from it.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

After a little back and forth it looks like I got the place I wanted secured!! Pretty darn psyched about it too! That was the last major thing I needed to get in order. Now I've just got to start crossing off all the little things so that I'm ready to open in about a month.

Thanks for all the "good vibes" guys. I credit this acquisition entirely to the vibes!!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »

Wooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!  Congrats sir! Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »

Awesome! Congrats!
...now to send you a few random flat-rate boxes to get you started.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length