RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 06:23:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Opening a Game Store 0 Members and 25 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Opening a Game Store  (Read 42893 times)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »

I like staff picks too (used to do it at the video store with movies). Doesnt really work when I'm the only staff though :/

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »

Another suggestion: A dollar bin is quite nice for cheap games and those in not so great condition. My store has one and I sometimes find good stuff in there.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2013, 06:41:30 AM »

Another suggestion: A dollar bin is quite nice for cheap games and those in not so great condition. My store has one and I sometimes find good stuff in there.

Totally. I love bin digging too!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »

Along with music, don't forget to play episodes of the podcast Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2013, 04:14:40 PM »

I'd recommend a program like buy 5 and get 1 free. My local Disc Replays do that and it often gets me to buy more to get a free game.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »

My local store also had a stamp card system when they first opened, spend $100 and get $5 off your next purchase. Ongoing promotions are always good. Crabby, if you need any advice about opening a game store, I can put you in contact with my local. Really nice guy and sure he'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »

Music is definitely nice for atmosphere.  Having game music playing would be fun, and then broadcasting a local radio station is a good idea.  Imagine hearing your own promo playing over the radio station as people wander through your store.

Like Duke mentioned, ALWAYS have prices easily seen for those items in the case.  I hate when I have to ask for assistance just to see the pricetag. 

I'm in total agreement with jansolee66 in regards to historical items.  Create a museum case for everyone to enjoy.  It should draw interest from those that may be new to gaming or are not familiar with older systems. 

If you are going to post staff picks or personal recommendations, take it serious.  The local PnT guys tried that but it ended up as a joke where staff picks included a Wii ballet game and titles they were just trying to get rid of.

Bargain bins good. 

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »

Just another general comment on running a business, which probably doesn't help Crabmaster too much as it is US centric.

There is a publishing company called Nolo (http://www.nolo.com/) which makes books on all sorts of legal topics. Two we have found very useful are their "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" and one on starting and running a small business. I'm not going to go into detail but they are mostly easy to read yet very informative help on doing business from the legal point of view. An example of something in there would be pre-written documents on legal agreements between partners or sub-leasers. What if you have a partner who dies, who gets their share of the business? What if a family member gets the rights and wants to sell out? Can they sell to anyone? Do they have to sell to you? How do you value the other partners share?

Those books help point out all these little things to think about and what to do about it. I would give more reasoning to support that, but, you know, typing words and all that. It's like work   Tongue

Like I said though, the books are made with US laws in mind but if you can't find a Canadian version of this I think there is enough good info in there to be applicable to you.

Uh, they do make books called, "Becoming a U.S. Citizen" and "U.S. Immigration Made Easy"   Grin
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »

I second the game music that can be actually cooler than listening to some cheesy music (i.e. Nickleback ).  keeping the sounds at a level where only if you are next to the machine it can be heard is a good idea. that way you are not mixing the store music with the game sound effects, which can make it seem like a noisy place. I think parents and adults will find it annoying enough where they may be turned away.

I agree with Bargain Bins, and rewards for buying more things. I think you should be careful of this as a new owner you may want to try and come up with an incentive program that will help you payback your start-up costs the best way. too many incentive programs can hurt a new business.

I agree with picking a location that is accessible for all. i.e. wheelchair, bus riders, car drivers, walkers, bikes.  I think making aisles that are not super close together will help those with disabilities get around your store. maybe look into having a store that is near a bus route.  of course I do understand the cost of rent can go up if you are catering to all.  

I agree with nupoile to read up on your rights as a business owner, and how to protect yourself as much as you can. Find out what incentives and perks you get for hiring people.  

Employees, hire people you know and really trust at the beginning, someone you can hire that has managerial experience because there will be times when you will need a day off and you will have to leave that person at the store to do counting of money at the end of the night and what not. not sure if Canada has this but you can always do background checks, but I think it costs money to do it.

and yes oh please for the love of god and take Techie's advice, keep prices visible so customers do not have to wait to find out a price. I really fucking hate it when I can't see the price, Half-Price Books does it all the time in my area, and I really hate waiting in line and asking some hipster with a bad mustache to let me check out prices, when I should just be able to see it for myself and decide then and there if I want it.

so glad to hear you are really doing this, I live in WA state and you never know I might make it up to your neck of the woods one day. I would love to visit your store and support it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:11:02 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »

Fokakis ate you taking about the Half-Price books in Tukwila?  That place is loaded with hipsters and their retro-case is a joke.  Plus you're not saving any money with them, they do Ebay "buy it now" pricing

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »

Fokakis ate you taking about the Half-Price books in Tukwila?  That place is loaded with hipsters and their retro-case is a joke.  Plus you're not saving any money with them, they do Ebay "buy it now" pricing

I am talking about the one Tukwila, LOL.  Yeah, their case is so small and so annoying.  Yeah I don't go there all that much, I used to alot, before I realized the mistake I was making. I do like the comics section, but that is really all I buy from there anymore. 

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

I like the idea of having a "Museum Case" on display in the store. I think I might plan for that. You guys are really helping with all the ideas and feedback. Can't thank you enough!!

I live in WA state and you never know I might make it up to your neck of the woods one day. I would love to visit your store and support it.

Unless you have family around here or have to fly up for work there really isn't a reason for most people to travel this far north. Definitely get in contact with me if you do find yourself up here though. I'd love to get together with any rfgenners that make the trek my way Smiley

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »

Today I went to check out a store and it turned out to be PERFECT!!!! The location, size and rent meet or exceed all my criteria. I will hear from the landlord (who also seemed normal and not nearly as shady as the rest of the people I've been meeting with) by Friday, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Its downtown which I think will be the best area of town as far as getting trade ins flowing into the store. The rent is by far the cheapest I've come across so far too. Its directly across the street from a bus route and gets a decent amount of drive by traffic that gets redirected off of a nearby 1-way street. Its a bit small at 657 Square Feet, but I think it'll do nicely for me to start with. Also it doesnt need nearly as much TLC as a lot of the other places I've been looking at.

I also went down to city hall immediately after and checked into what that area is zoned for. Its zoned for freakin everything!!!! Arcade Cabinets, Retail, Food, Sales, Buying, and about a hundred other things. Really hope this one happens because if it doesn't I'll likely be comparing all future places to this one. I think I made a good impression on the landlord though since I had my stuff together and it sounded like her other prospects where much further off and a bit unreliable.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2013, 11:41:53 PM »

That sounds exciting and I wish you the best of luck with it. It def sounds like a great location. You can always work with the space and find ways to fit everything. Maybe not put all the stock out at once and do some rotation of it.

Now your playing with power!
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2013, 11:48:48 PM »

very cool!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length