RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 11:20:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Games you were hyped about that quietly vanished 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Games you were hyped about that quietly vanished  (Read 1522 times)
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »

Every few years we have gathered around the newest gaming magazines and last several years the internet for new gossip or news about new game announcements, sometimes on brand new systems and other times just during its lifetime. We never get a confirmation it was shelved. We sometimes never get anything after an announcement. The game just vanishes without a trace.

Happened to all of us at some point.

For me it happened in 1999 when I was amidst the hype of the Dreamcast. This was my first real console launch hype and the first console I was interested in from another company. Of all the things about the console and all the games I wanted. One of these looked to take on Nintendo head to head with Star Fox. SEGA wanted a Star Fox game for a more grown up crowd and showed for the time very impressive visuals and physics. Nothing like it had been seen before. The game was called Geist Force. I knew I had to have this. EGM did a big page on it but after that I never heard about it again. I kept trying to find out more. Years later I found a vague answer. My story does not end there. A few years ago on Assembler Games forums someone had a disc of the game and said it was practically complete. I was excited and heard he would give burned copies out for free. This was a dream come true. This was during a rough period in my life where I was very sick and working in a horrible job and the most amount of money I'd have in my bank accound at times was 30$. Well I found out later he was not giving them out but selling it for 50$ each. My hopes were dashed. To this day I want this game.

[img width=700 height=974]http://i.imgur.com/D3fwEFe.jpg[/img]
This is what I gazed upon in 1999
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »

I love Star Fox, so this would definitely interest me.  I did a quick search for it on Google, and got this: http://www.retrocollect.c...-online-for-download.html

The ISO has apparently been put online for free, but it's basically unplayable.  Sad
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »

The Highlander Video Game for the Xbox360/PS3, it even got far enough that Game Informer reviewed it, but it got canned when it was almost complete.

Also, sounds like that guy was being a dick, I probably would've just uploaded the ISO for free, and charged $5 to cover the disc, my time, and shipping to anyone that wanted a copy already burned. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:36:27 PM by shoboni » Logged

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:09:56 PM »

When Halo was supposed to be an RTS by the guys who made Myth I was pumped. Then it turned into Halo...

When shall his new form be revealed?
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:38:26 PM »

Earthbound 64, nuff said....

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »

This is from the creator of Sonic and NiGHTS. Last I heard the game was finished and waiting for its publisher. That was 2 years ago
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »

Frame City Killer.
Namco Bandai game that was supposed to be released in the 2006-2007 area if memory serves.

I know i have/had a promotional Tshirt i can't remember if i have any other swag. I could be confusing it with Darkwatch since i was on the prelaunch site for that just before hand.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »

Disaster Report 4. Cancelled after the tsunami in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._Toshi_4:_Summer_Memories

I would have LOVED a next-gen Disaster Report. This one really broke my heart.

I'm hoping The Last Guardian isn't the next game I feel this way about, but I'm losing hope....

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:10:01 PM by tactical_nuke » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length