RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 05:31:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Retron 5 HD-Imports,Domestic 8-16 bit era and GB,GBC,GBA 0 Members and 19 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Retron 5 HD-Imports,Domestic 8-16 bit era and GB,GBC,GBA  (Read 5797 times)
engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »

That's it, I'm sold, sign me up.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »

Necro-bump.

I've had my system for a week and I am loving it so far. Anyone else have one yet?

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »

Necro-bump.

I've had my system for a week and I am loving it so far. Anyone else have one yet?

I haven't, myself, though I might consider it.

I did pick up a Retron FC a few weeks ago, though. The console and controllers are very light, and seem rather fragile to me. The whole deal seems to lack durability. Do you find the Retron 5 to be anything like that? If so, I'm not sure I'm up for getting one...
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »

When they bumped the price up to $140 that was a deal breaker for me, at last right now.  It looks great though and I love the filters.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »

It's out? Admittedly I only checked Amazon.....where did you get yours?

Hyperkin's Facebook page is awesome by the way, full of happy, supportive people. If I need a cheerup I just go there and read the wonderful comments of joy overflowing the bonds of love and happiness.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »

The fact that it can copy save data off the cart and then push it back to the cart has sold me... Well once the bug has been addressed.

From Pat the Nest Punk's Review:

Gamester81's review:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:28:08 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Waiting for the supply to catch up with the demand, down at Game Quest. Crabby could only get 4 or 5 of these things and they were gone before a guy could even blink.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 10:30:58 PM »

It's out? Admittedly I only checked Amazon.....where did you get yours?

Hyperkin's Facebook page is awesome by the way, full of happy, supportive people. If I need a cheerup I just go there and read the wonderful comments of joy overflowing the bonds of love and happiness.

[/sarcasm]

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »

I picked mine up from the local GameXchange, where the guys were nice enough to hold one back for me from their initial batch. The system itself feels fine - not as high quality as a SNES, but not plastic thin enough that I would worry about it breaking. I really don't like the controller due to the "d-pad". They went with something similar to an analog stick and it doesn't work well with games designed for a traditional 4-way pad. I don't consider this to be a real issue since you can just use any NES, SNES, or Genesis pad you like.

The software has already been updated to address some of the initial bugs. I haven't run into any major problems yet. It plays things that I would have never expected it to, including FamicomBox and Hacker, Intl. carts. No FDS support, though. I also haven't figured out how to get the cheats to work, even though I have the proper files.

So far I am really enjoying it. The games look great, play well, and the ability to use any pad for any game is excellent. The save state system works really well, and it will pick right back up where you left off automatically the next time you drop the cart in. As Addicted mentioned, I love the ability to back-up saves from carts, and transfer saves.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »

@Duke: According to Pat the NES Punk you can rip the saves to the Retron 5 but can't transfer them back to the cart. Have any of the updates addressed this?

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »

Mine just came in the mail today. Pretty impressed with it. I haven't had the "Iron Grip" issues with the slots. They seem to grip like the original consoles do. I tried Streets of Rage 2, Final  Fight, and Dragon Warrior. Streets of Rage 2 was fantastic, especially the sound. Final Fight played well. Dragon Warrior wouldn't load, I'm going to clean the contacts and try again later. Super Mario Bros. 3 worked although the sound didn't play on the opening screen and I had to remap the Retron controller to get it to play.

As Duke mentioned the controller isn't ideal for games that require a 4-way Dpad. I like the idea that it uses micro switches that in theory should be durable and accurate. There is some delay and I wonder if that isn't most likely because its wireless and not because of any emulation.

I'm going to download the most recent update and get the cheats to test, and of course, play more Streets of Rage 2!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »

@Duke: According to Pat the NES Punk you can rip the saves to the Retron 5 but can't transfer them back to the cart. Have any of the updates addressed this?

I've backed up the saves from the cart, but not tried transferring them back and testing on an original console yet.

@Benards: The software update process is pretty painless. I haven't been able to get the cheats to work yet, so if you figure it out be sure to post.

Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »

Will do Duke, I'm messing with it at the moment. I think the file structure is the culprit. After cleaning the contacts I still can't get Dragon Warrior to load. You wouldn't happen to have a copy you could test?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »

I just tried my copy of Dragon Warrior and it works fine.

Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

Thanks for checking that out Duke.  So far my copy works in an NES but not in the RetroN5. The PCB sticking out looks like it may be a milimeter shorter than SMB3 so that may be the problem. I'm gonna track down a set of security bits and see if the bare card will run.

As far as the  cheats. They should go in the Cheats folder inside the Retron folder on the SD card and then you can access them from the game menu. Not all the  games have cheats though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length