RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 11:19:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Do u buy games for systems u do not own 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Do u buy games for systems u do not own  (Read 5055 times)
KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »

Yep.  I've had several complete sets without owning the systems.  Just have to have one of each type of packaging.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »

My whole 2013 collection goal is based upon this thread, basically collecting systems for games I currently own. I figure I can always find missing pieces of the puzzle later on when the price is right.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:29:16 PM by Razor Knuckles » Logged
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »

So do u guys shy away from disc games that have scratches?

no, unless it's really really bad. the only thing i try to avoid are deep looking circular scratches. radial scratches (ones that go straight from center to edge), from what i understand, aren't as bad as the ones that follow the curve of the disc. i've had some with dozens of radial scratches work fine, and others with only a couple small circular scratches not work.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:39:15 AM by techwizard » Logged
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:39:25 AM »

I have an SMS that may need the card slot cleaned/repaired if you're interested, since you need an SMS.

Nah, I already sold the games. I don't really have much interest in owning one. I always wanted to Sega Saturn but couldn't find enough games I would enjoy personally to warrant a purchase. The only system I'm actively looking for is an Atari 7800 or maybe a PSP for the right price. Thanks though.

Bildtstar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DB Editor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »

So do u guys shy away from disc games that have scratches?

I do. Most PS1/PS2 games I buy cost me 1 or 2 euro each. Repairing one disc costs about 7,50 euro!  Shocked
So unless it's a rare (expensive) game, I'll walk away as fast as I can.

On topic: Yes, I picked up various NTSC games, although I don't have those systems.

Oh No! More Lemmings Skylanders...
CoinCollector
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:43 AM »

Sure do. I owned the entire Atari 7800 library for a year or so before I owned a 7800 system.

Yep.  I've had several complete sets without owning the systems.  Just have to have one of each type of packaging.

Whoa.  Crazy... but impressive. Cheesy

Like most of you guys are saying, I'll pick em up if they're in good condition, and definitely if I plan on getting the system.  I've grabbed few (three) Dreamcast games, but no Dreamcast yet. Sad

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »

I am like most on here. I will grab games, if I intend on picking up the system, but only if I find them for cheap.  I will also pick up games I do not intend on owning a system if I know the games is valuable.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »

I have several games and accessories for platforms I do not yet own. Most of the games and accs I buy, I intend to use and play when I finally get the hardware for 'em. Some stuff I'll flip for much needed gas money to continue doing my twelve-store thrift crawls. And I almost always buy' em cheap. 'Cuz... well, 'cuz I'm cheap.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 08:40:48 PM »

I have a couple of Game Gear games and not the system. I'm not huge into Sega in general so I'm not in a rush to get one.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »

Yes I bought Shenmue II before I had Xbox,Ys before I had a PSP,Ys again before I had a Master System.A Sonic game before owning Genesis
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »

I bought a boxed program recorder for a Atari computer once because it was cheap and kinda cool, and I have some games on 5.25 in floppy disc that came thrown in with other stuff(I've got a old external Apple 5.25 in drive, I don't know if there's a way to rig it run on a windows PC or not)

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »

I do, but I usually only pick them up because they're cheap enough and I figure I'll find the system eventually.  I've got 5-6 PS3 and PSP games and I don't have either system, but I picked up each of the games for right around $3 a piece.  I have 15-20 N-Gage games and no system as well.
Missionfailed
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

So i see that i am not alone....all these 3Do games and no system...sigh.
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »

Absolutely.  I had 2 Play Choice 10 PCBs before I had the machine.  In general, if its a good game at a good price, I buy it regardless of whether or not I have the system.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »

Yeah, I buy games for systems I don't own. I like getting new systems as part of this hobby. One or the other has to come first. I want to keep buying systems so if I don't have one now I figure I will in the future.

I'm very patient about my collecting, so I just pick things up when they are a good deal and match them up later when their counterparts are a good deal.

Right now I have 3DO, TG16, PS3 and Jaguar games waiting for systems to show up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length