RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 11:14:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Do u buy games for systems u do not own 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Do u buy games for systems u do not own  (Read 5048 times)
Missionfailed
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »

Like when u are out looking for games and stuff or not even looking, and u come across a game from an obscure system or just a system that u never taken a liking to....do you walk away our are u all in for grabbing it up? I especially grab em up to try and find it a good home but its harder on disc base games cause u are never sure if they actually work. Case in point i found 3 sega cd games before i had a sega cd. Vay, Lunar 2 and a disc only willy beamish. Beamish was the only one with scratches on it and it ended up not working after i finally obtained a sega cd. Cry Sucks because i really wanted to play that one.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »

I'll pick up games for systems I intend to own eventually. That helps get the collection for that console rolling a bit faster. Otherwise I'll just pass on a game for something I don't own.

Because my collection is still on the "smaller" side I keep everything I buy. There's really nothing I can buy to flip or trade at this point in my collecting days.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »

Of course, when you do that you know you've made the move from gamer to collector.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:01:09 AM »

I just started doing this, but not for the purpose of collecting.  I will buy games from other systems if they are cheap, and then I resell them or see if anyone here needs them.

Looking for CIB NES games..........even Silent Service.
I once made the mistake of smelling a NES cart.  Man, the last guy that blew in it must have had bad breath, because it smelled like a sack full of assholes.
moonraker_fats
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

Yeah, it's hard to pass on a deal or something you won't come across often.  Being somewhat new to collecting, especially with limited funds, I'm starting to find that when I pick up stuff that's not within my current collecting goals (especially a system I don't own), I sometimes regret it later when funds are tight and I can't get something I find that is part of one of my goals.  You can't pass on Lunar for the Sega CD though...I believe that's criminal in most states Wink

[img width=95 height=39]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/RFGmicrobar01.gif[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »

Sure do. I owned the entire Atari 7800 library for a year or so before I owned a 7800 system.

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »

I tend to pick up stuff for systems I don't own, when I find them cheap.  An odd side effect of this is, I tend to find the systems for those games for cheap not too long after I buy the games.  Case in point, I bought a couple Sega CD games for 3 bucks each, and then found a Sega CD model 2 paired with a Genesis model 2 for 30 bucks.  Now if I could only get that to work all the time Cheesy
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »

If it's boxed, I'll make sure to pick it up since I'll need the game for the system eventually. I own 40+ systems, yet I've got games for another 20 I've yet to own. My wife and I collect hardware, so it's not like I won't have a system for it down the road - games, on the other hand, can often be hard to find locally.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »

I once bought an X68000 game in anticipation of grabbing an actual X68k, but that eventually went down the tubes so I wound up selling it.
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »

Only if its something really obscure like Nikko digiBlast games or Inerton VC-4000 games

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »

Sure do. I owned the entire Atari 7800 library for a year or so before I owned a 7800 system.
You win this thread.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »

i had a Saturn game and a couple original xbox games for a long time before getting either system.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »

I will but usually it's with the intent to flip em. I picked up a bunch of Master System games a few months back and I don't have one of those. I think I'm pretty good on consoles for awhile, though I do need to repair my Game Gear and I wouldn't mind picking up a Nomad at the right price. Even a PSP cheap also wouldn't kill me.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

I have an SMS that may need the card slot cleaned/repaired if you're interested, since you need an SMS.

Missionfailed
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »

So do u guys shy away from disc games that have scratches?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length