RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2024, 09:17:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Retron4 will play GBA games 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Retron4 will play GBA games  (Read 2251 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »

As well as NES, SNES, and Genesis.

Not really into the Retron systems myself.  Is anyone excited by this or do you feel the same way about Retron systems and you do about emulation?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

i love the idea behind them, but i hate that it's third party. if each major console company would do something like this as a cheap way to offer backwards compatibility, i would love it even more. as it is it does remind me too much of emulation. if i were to ever get one it would probably be for the novelty more than to actually use.
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »

I have the first 3 Retrons, but only because I am a collector.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »

It's also slated to have HDMI out. Might be worth checking out depending on price...

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »

I haven't read anything about this other than headlines, I should probably research this instead of asking.

But, since it can play GBA games, will it also emulate the GBA's ability to play GB and GBC games? Or will it be a system based GB Micro without that functionality? If it can, and the video/sound quality is good I can see myself getting one to easily capture footage from the entire Game Boy line.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »

It's also slated to have HDMI out. Might be worth checking out depending on price...

That is very interesting.  If the image quality is good enough, I may consider picking one up.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »

I wonder if it will play GB/GBC carts as well.  If so, this might be a good system to have in my family room.  Now if only they could play 2600 games...

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »

That is very interesting.  If the image quality is good enough, I may consider picking one up.

HDMI is the selling point for me. This is almost a guaranteed purchase.
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »

Now if only they could play 2600 games...

This...

ixtaileddemonfox
Weapon X
TurboGrafx-16

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »

I want one

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »

I don't expect the HDMI out to look very good at all. They'll probably just transcode the composite signals or something, at least for NES, as that's the best these NOACs can output. It's not like they can throw a high quality transcoder into this thing at the price point they go for either. 

These things are cheap feeling and have audio and compatibility issues all around. They're better than most other clones (Castlevania III actually worked on one of the releases of the Retron 3) but you're still much better off with the real hardware.

EDIT: Bunnyboy (the owner of RetroUSB and the guy working on that HDMI NES) over on Nintendoage seems to think this will basically be something with a cheap ARM processor in it running everything in software. In other words, it'll just be a low-powered mini computer just emulating everything. I'm inclined to believe him, so... yeah this will probably be better than every other clone out there, but I'll probably still pass.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:05:56 AM by Quackula » Logged
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »

I think it would make sense for it to be basically an emulator box with multiple interfaces.  But even based on that assumption it would still be interesting to take apart and play with (assuming the price point is good).  If it could be hacked we would have something like a Retrode (as bunnyboy points out), which could be rather good.  Anything that introduces competition is good for consumers.

I'm willing to keep an open mind, but my collecting and regular game buying habits won't leave much room for this sort of stuff.  It would have to be either cheap or have incredibly good compatibility for me to even look twice at it, and even then it would be used as a "living room" game solution, not something I would use in my gameroom.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length