RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 01:39:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | EA says we "enjoy" and "embrace" miscrotransactions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EA says we "enjoy" and "embrace" miscrotransactions  (Read 1501 times)
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »

video sums it up. EA is shitting on it's customers and in a good sense it's employees with this garbage
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »

I've seen enough financials from the industry to realize that as much as the internet is vocally against microtransactions, overall they generate massive amounts of revenue. I'm neither for or against them, since I will never spend a penny on what is currently considered a "microtransaction". I may spend money on an expansion for DLC expansions for something I heavily play, but colloquially they're not the same.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:19:06 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »

Yeah, wave of the future and all but I feel like only morons use them...

When shall his new form be revealed?
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »

I was incredibly against this when it was launched with Dead Space 3.  But after finding out that the microtransactions were only for the laziest of players, I have no problem with EA trying to part stupid people and their money.

The microtransactions in Dead Space 3 were completely unnecessary if you actually play the game, so I doubt that "gamers" embrace these transactions.  EA couldn't come out and say "Lazy people" embrace microtransactions, though.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

Yeah, you can already see it in a ton of iOS games. You can buy extra content in, say, Angry Birds Star Wars, or you can actually play and unlock it.

I would find issue, however, if they start making you fork out cash to unlock sections of a game with no other way to do so.

When shall his new form be revealed?
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

a lot of big name FPS games do this already. i don't mind it at all because it's entirely optional, and 99% of the things add nothing to the game for me. it's not like we're missing out on some really cool awesome things, it's usually just people that want to buy shortcuts to things that other people have to earn, or it's nothing but skins, avatars, hats.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »

I have seen microtransactions for many EA games but I have yet been forced to buy anything to proceed in the game. I have bought some packs for Ultimate team stuff with real money but didnt need to. But I love the FIFA Ultimate Team stuff so I didn't mind.

If anyone actually watched all 10 minutes of that video I am amazed.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »

also forgot to add that this is essentially how most free to play games work
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »

They don't bother me.  Techwizard maked a good point.  League of Legends is a free to play game that is entirely supported by microtransactions.

I don't play League of Legends myself but I have several friends who love it.  For those who don't play or aren't familiar, look at how enormously popular the game is. 

http://www.escapistmagazi...he-Most-Played-Video-Game

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length