RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 05:15:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Recommend me some PS2 games 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Recommend me some PS2 games  (Read 3257 times)
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »

I had a Ps2 long ago, but it's been a while since I owned one. My favorite genres are RPGs, adventure games and survival horror. No need to mention stuff like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear, those are givens.(it's like recommending Zelda to someone -you really don't have to).

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:02 AM »

Lol, PS2 is like my main system.

If you haven't seen my Suikoden display check it out, the only RPGs on PS2 that come close to Suikoden 3 and 5 in my eyes are Persona 3 and 4, but there are still some other good or great ones like Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest 8, Disgaea, Wild ARMS 3 and 5 (I actually don't own any of the even numbered Wild ARMS yet so can't recommend them), Grandia II, Kingdom Hearts, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Demon Stone, and a few others.

For survival horror I would recommend Haunting Ground and Clock Tower 3, the two are similar in style, but Haunting Ground really builds on the Clock Tower formula. There are some Silent Hill remakes to check out as well, I liked The Room as a teen, but haven't played it since then.

For adventure games nothing will even come close to the majesty of Okami. Katamari is another good game to try if nothing else just for how awesomely weird it is. Its great fun though and you'll be addicted pretty soon after starting it.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:54 AM »

^ Avoid Grandia II on PS2 is a bad port of the excellent DC game. Play the game on DC not PS2

Dragon Quest 8
Ys Ark of Napishtim
Okami
Onimusha series
Way of the Samurai
Katamari Damacy
Mark of Kri
Ico
Shadow of Colossus
Devil May Cry 1 and 3 (skip 2)
King of Fighters XI
SNK Arcade classics
Castlevania Curse of Darkness
Castlevania Lament of Innocence
Dark Cloud series
Fatal Fury Battle Archives
Genji
Sly cooper series
Jak series
Rogue Galaxy
Sphinx and the cursed mummy

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:53:39 AM »

^ Avoid Grandia II on PS2 is a bad port of the excellent DC game. Play the game on DC not PS2

If its the only option available its not terrible. If we were trying to recommend the best port of the game the DC wouldn't be mentioned, the PC would be.

PC is king.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »

Out of the games named:

Pscyho
I have Okami on the Wii. Still might try it to spot differences. I hate Kingdom Hearts, and I'm not sure Baldur's Gate is my thing The rest might be fair game. I'm especially interested in Clock Tower 3 - d I need to play the others first? and Katamari is fun, and I enjoy playing it at friends houses and such, but it's nothing something I'd personally spend my money on. I'm a big Level 5 fan, so I'll probably check out Rogue Galaxy as well as purchase Dark Cloud again.

Ryudo
I've already played or considered all of those.

I may as well comment that I have purchased via eBay Xenosaga Episode 1 and Resident Evil Outbreak. I know Outbreak is going t be dated as hell, but I figured I might enjoy it a little for the $9 it cost. also, my friend has an extra copy of .hack//Infection.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »

If its the only option available its not terrible. If we were trying to recommend the best port of the game the DC wouldn't be mentioned, the PC would be.

PC is king.

PC version isn't as good as the DC version either
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 02:24:23 AM »

Baldur's Gate is my thing The rest might be fair game.

The Dark Alliance series are dungeon crawlers, so think Diablo when thinking about them. Its not the same as the PC Baldur's Gates, the Dark Alliance series is vastly different.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »

If I had to recommend one PS2 game to someone who enjoys RPGs it would be Persona 4. The Xenosaga series is solid too but Persona 3 & 4 just sucked me in like nothing else.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »

Persona 4 is definitely my favorite PS2 game, and one of my favorite games of all time.  I haven't spent too much time playing PS2, but my favorite games for it are:

God of War
God of War II
Katamari Damacy
Persona 4
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »

Am I the only person who finds God of War to be menial and overrated? If it wasn't based on Greek Mythology it would probably not be popular.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »

Some of my PS2 favorites include:

Alien Hominid (think awesome hand-drawn Contra)
Psychonauts
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Wars: Battlefront (prefer the 1st over the 2nd)

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »

Am I the only person who finds God of War to be menial and overrated? If it wasn't based on Greek Mythology it would probably not be popular.

You are definitely not the only one Smiley

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »

Downhill Domination is an awesomely addictive downhill mountain-biking game.

Disaster Report and its sequel Raw Danger are weird but awesome spins on survival horror.

Radiata Stories - Great tri-ace JRPG

PS2 is my favorite console.....I gotta stop right now or this reply will be ten pages long. You have a lot to go on already. I would also check out some of the guides on racketboy.com, expecially the hidden gems one for PS2, it has never steered me wrong.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:46 PM »

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirit
Atelier Iris 1-3
Odin Sphere
Rogue Galaxy (like everyone else who's had recommendations before me)
Any of the Shin Megami Tensei games - Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Persona 3 FES & 4, Devil Summoner 1 & 2
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »

PS2 is king for those weird, but still good games too, like Mister Mosquito and Katamari Damacy. You must at least check out Katamari if you've never played any game in that series, so much random fun.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length