RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2024, 11:21:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PS2 slim disc spinning issue 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PS2 slim disc spinning issue  (Read 3685 times)
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

My cousin sold me a PlayStation 2 slim for $20, but the disc won't spin. If I put weight on the disc cover just right, it attempts to read the disc, but fails. I understand that it is not under warranty anymore, but I am experienced with electronics, and I am perfectly comfortable taking it apart and fixing the problem myself. Trouble is, I don't know what the problem is.

He says he has another one he will replace it with if I cannot fix it, but my girlfriend was planing to buy that one herself, so I'd rather just fix this one.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »

Not likely worth much, but I had one that ran better sideways than flat.

When shall his new form be revealed?
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:20 PM »

does it look very dirty inside the disc tray? maybe there's something jamming the center from spinning properly. you could try manually rotating it while it's off and see if it feels like it sticks at all. otherwise i'm not sure, the servo motor or whatever they use to spin the discs could be dead.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »

Its probably not even worth fixing really. Getting one specific part would probably cost half of what you paid already, and you can find a working system, whether its fat or slim, for cheaper than the part with enough digging.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:27 PM »

slap it. Seriously. I sometimes have issues as well and a good slap when it's off then turn it on and works
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »

Well, I went ahead and opened it out of curiosity. It look normal, but I think the motor that makes the disc spin may be broken.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »

I'd suspect the switch that tells the system the lid is closed. You may be able to rig it to think it is always closed. It should work fine except for multi-disc games.

SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:59:37 PM »

I'd suspect the switch that tells the system the lid is closed. You may be able to rig it to think it is always closed. It should work fine except for multi-disc games.

Actually, that is not the problem. after I removed the top, the first thing I tried was plugging it up and holding that down. IT's the motor. Not worth fixing these days, especially since my cousin is just going to replace it with a working Ps2.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »

I'm right there with you then. These things are everywhere.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »

Yeah, Half Price Books by my house has a literal pile of slim PS2s. Didn't check what they were going for though.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »

slap it. Seriously. I sometimes have issues as well and a good slap when it's off then turn it on and works

I'm quoting that out of context for posterity for a little while. Tongue
Favorite solution.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »

There are multiple switches that tell the system the lid is closed, AFAIK.  I taped them down on my slim, and everything works fine.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »

Choose your problem:

- The lens is mis-aligned.
- The "gears" are gooked up and need to be cleaned/re-oiled.
- The entire laser mechanism is broken.

The first two are easily fixed, the third isn't. I'd just buy a new one for $5.
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »

There are multiple switches that tell the system the lid is closed, AFAIK.  I taped them down on my slim, and everything works fine.

Could you please tell me (or possibly diagram for me) where all of these switches are? I could only find 1.

SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Ok, little update. I found the sensors and taped them down as well as removed the spring from the device that stops the disc when you open the system.It spins discs now. However, it displays a "disc could not be read" message when I try to play a ps2 game. The odd part? PS1 games work.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length