RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 02:18:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Xenoblade Chronicles - Bubble? 0 Members and 22 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles - Bubble?  (Read 15238 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »

Really interesting business decision, but GameStop has always had a anti-consumer attitude. Nothing new to see here.

While this could certainly impact used prices, I wonder what this will do to truly new, shrink-wrapped copies.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »

Really interesting business decision, but GameStop has always had a anti-consumer attitude. Nothing new to see here.

While this could certainly impact used prices, I wonder what this will do to truly new, shrink-wrapped copies.

I hope flooding the market will drive the price down.  I (relucantly) sold my copy very high and I'd love to pick it up again and keep playing it.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »

Wonder if the new copy at my local GameStop is still $40...
Also, EVERY GAMESTOP IN THE AREA HAS COPIES NOW.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »

I'd gladly pay $40.  Maybe we can grab some copies before they change the price tag...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

if your gamestop still has copies for $40, buy a few and we'll take them off your hands Smiley i wouldn't mind a copy but i really don't want to pay $90+ for one
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »

I'm still glad I paid the $50 when it first launched. I will not be able to say that often.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

I have 2 Xenoblades. But yeah as someone said Gamestop is anti customers and anti employee friendly. Tho out of the many things that bugs me about them is those gutted new games can be rented by an employee for a couple days and becomes used but they still sell it as new...when I was there I never did as I just didn't feel right doing it.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

if your gamestop still has copies for $40, buy a few and we'll take them off your hands Smiley i wouldn't mind a copy but i really don't want to pay $90+ for one

I second that. If your local Game Stop has copies available, I'll gladly pay you back.

I have 2 Xenoblades. But yeah as someone said Gamestop is anti customers and anti employee friendly. Tho out of the many things that bugs me about them is those gutted new games can be rented by an employee for a couple days and becomes used but they still sell it as new...when I was there I never did as I just didn't feel right doing it.

That could explain my Fire Emblem: Awakening not having its Club Nintendo code inside. Darn! I wanted those points!

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:42 AM »

All stores near me suddenly had a few copies pop up a couple of weeks ago, so there has definitely been a reprint.  But selling them as used is pretty odd.  Seems like they should have sold them as new and for a higher price.

I wonder how they'd be able to reprint Metroid Prime Trilogy considering it wasn't a joint venture like Xenoblade was.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »

Selling reprints as used is normal for Gamestop. They did it for Resident Evil 2 (GCN), Cubivore (GCN), Rez (PS2), and Zone of Enders 2 (PS2) just to name a few. Do a search for Game Quest Direct and you'll find more:

http://www.nintendoage.co...atid=5&threadid=94233

http://www.siliconera.com...the-business-of-reprints/ - This article has the we will reprint anything that goes for over $100 on EBAY qoute.

From the same article:

"But if Game Quest Direct really is controlling the flow of these imports by acting as a pseudo-publisher how are they appearing at Gamestop? Simple, Game Quest Direct is selling them directly to Gamestop. A representative spokesperson has said that they decided to unload a sizeable amount of inventory to Gamestop at a bulk price. However since Gamestop sells used copies of these games at a higher price they’ve taken the liberty of unsealing and selling the brand new game as a used copy. Game Quest Direct is happy to sell a bulk lot to any distributor or even eBay seller if the price is right. Even though they may be the masterminds behind many reprints gamers shouldn’t be surprised to see copies appear at other video game specialty stores." As Michael Pachter would say its a profit deal.  Cool
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:33:41 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2013, 07:54:08 AM »

Addicted, thanks so much for posting that Siliconera article. I think that is the most informative article I've read regarding video games in a long time. I feel like I actually learned something about a topic that fascinates the hell out of me. It demystifies the sudden price drops that I have literally seen happen right before my eyes (and discussed on these forums: http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=11520.0 ).

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I would love to see reprints of Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II and the like. I know some people here have grabbed some of the Working Designs stuff mentioned in the article in the past. 

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »

You're welcome. I'd love to see a Suikoden 2 reprint as well but I doubt it will happen.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

i have no problem with reprints, only a problem with them lying to the customers for the sole purpose of jacking up the price.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

Manager: "Hey Rick, I want you to take the plastic off these Xenoblade games."
Rick: "Uhh... OK, but why?"
Manager: "We're selling these new games as used copies because there's a sucker for everything."

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
CARBAG
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »

ebgames.ca is still listing the game as 50 new and 45$ used, but there isn't any stock near me. Maybe the prices didn't go up yet in Canada ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length